Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Riding without Lessons?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi does anyone here know of a way to ride horse without having to book a lesson? I've been looking around at the local riding schools but none seem to have the option of renting a horse for a hour or whatever. Is there no such options available? I know some schools allowed you to rent horses for longer, but is there no other way to ride other lessons or owning your own horse?

Comments

I can't think of any places that will rent you a horse unsupervised.
    Insurance conditions would probably rule that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Agree with Zaraba, doubt anyone will let you off on your own, which is understandable.

Would a private lesson suit though? The owner would be covered, but you could still dictate what you do for the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'd agree with the above two posters. Insurance has pretty much destroyed a lot of the laid back attitudes that used to exist.

Would you consider going on a trek/hack? I know you wouldn't be 'on your own doing your own thing', but it wouldn't be a lesson either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Well in my old riding school, a private lesson was identical to a group lesson, just on your own. We were told what to do.

The key to that is the word 'lesson'!

But usually, there is more leeway in a private lesson then in a group one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Well in my old riding school, a private lesson was identical to a group lesson, just on your own. We were told what to do.

Well it depends on where you go - at a good place, and depending on your level, you can say that you want to focus on x and the lesson will focus on that, so you get to do something you like.

But you haven't really said what you want to do, so it's a bit difficult to offer advice unless you give a bit more info about your experience and what aspects of riding you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Brennanstown Equestrian Centre did 2 hour hacks on Saturday mornings over the summer. I'm not sure if they do it now, or what the standard was. They do intermediate hacks on Saturday afternoons but that's for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Ask yourself the question
    Would hire out your horse to someone just to ride it.
    Forgetting all the insurance etc. Nobody is going to just let you ride without knowin somethin about you.
    Its standard now that b4 a Trek you are assesed b4 bein taken out.
    I would think it would be best to go to a centre and discuss what you want and maybe after a private lesson/assesment you maybe able to work something out where you will be able to free ride under supervision

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Have you tried looking away from the centres and goin ta a private horse owner with an arena, someone who knows you a wee bit at least? Dependin on your riding skills, I don't see how this could be a problem as you would be insured (in most places) under the horses and riders insurance. Ask around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's assuming the owner has insurance. Even if they do, there are a large number of conditions which must be adhered to if an owner/trainer is to be covered under their insurance, such as rider's competency, the equipment their wearing/using meets safety standards, where they'll be riding, what they'll be doing, etc. Not all owners would be willing to let you ride their horse(s), even if they know you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Not renting out horses to someone to ride unsupervised has little to do with the insurance part of things. When I worked at a lesson/trekking stable over 30 years ago, we only allowed people who regularly took lessons and were well known to us to rent horses and ride them unsupervised.

The reason is, many riders aren't nearly as good as they think they are. And some don't give a darn about the safety and care of the horse. They can run horses into the ground, beat them, ride them places a rider should never go. They can badly injure a horse, or ruin their training. I'm not saying you would do that, but it can and does happen often enough that few if any stables will rent out horses to anyone not very well known to them.

If you do find a stable who will rent a horse to you to ride unsupervised without knowing you, I'd strongly question the care of those horses at that place.

Advertisement