Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does this work at all?

• 02-09-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Hiya folks, long time no see.

Trying to trawl through the ridiculous amount of images i shot in Bulgaria and Romania during August and i've found myself intrigued by this one.

Does it work at all? Or should i go to bed?

3879788198_dbc3f145f5.jpg

3878989743_a80ed49589.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I like it, the colour one works slightly better than the BW - It gives a bit more definition to the huts in the background. As it is, it's working out perfect for an editorial piece, you've got plenty of black on the LHS for text, etc. - However, I'd try a square crop on it to see how it holds up with all the focus on the wood in the centre foreground :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Never thought about it as an editorial shot, i was beginning to think there was too much black on the left.

My first instinct was a square crop, i ended up with this...not to keen to be honest.

Try bringing the crop further over to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Try bringing the crop further over to the right.

I'm not trying to be rude here,But surely you telling the OP what to do is just making the photo into something you'd like to see,But maybe not everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Eirebear wrote: »
    Never thought about it as an editorial shot, i was beginning to think there was too much black on the left.

My first instinct was a square crop, i ended up with this...not to keen to be honest.

i prefer the cropped one there

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to be rude here,But surely you telling the OP what to do is just making the photo into something you'd like to see,But maybe not everyone else?
    And?

Ricky91t wrote: »

To be fair i asked wether it worked, Fajitas has just given his opinion on what he feels might make it work.

I dont see the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i suppose the question should be does it work for you?

it may not appeal to everyone, but i think it's really what you feel about it that counts.
    personally i think it's got some merit, it's got depth and is interesting, i would crop some of the darkness from the left as i feel it creates a bit of dead space and detracts somewhat from the photograph, but thats just my personal opinion.
    What don't you like about it?

overall i like it - :)

It does work for me, but im not sure why, i suppose thats why i was asking the question.

I also feel that there is too much "dead space" to the right hand side, but the crops ive tried dont do it for me.

Basically i was just looking for other peoples opinions on it, C&C if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

colour one is better in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Colour version for me too.

The reason I like it as is (more so than the cropped version) is that the dark spaces leave room for the imagination to take over. I like the potential for stories in shots and this has it in spades.

From the Brothers Grimm, through Tolkien to cheesy schlock horror holiday-in-the-woods-gone-gruesomely-wrong flicks, the darkness lets the picture breathe.

Advertisement