Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for college

Options
  • 02-09-2009 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get broadband into our place for college. I saw the student deal UPC are doing (only billed for 9 months) but this doesnt seem to be available in our area (mount merrion) Are htere any ohter companies which would connect us for just 9 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Have you confirmed this with UPC by calling them?

Would a phone line be an option? If so, ADSL2+ (companies like Smart or formally BT Ireland), if it's available, or ADSL from Eircom or a re-seller is the next best thing.

If none of those suit, then Wireless is the next best option. Try Digiweb or Irish Broadband.

After that is HSDPA from a mobile operator, the last resort, if I'm being honest.

I don't know if I've left anything out, so anyone else, please fill the gaps if I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Have you confirmed this with UPC by calling them?

Would a phone line be an option? If so, ADSL2+ (companies like Smart or formally BT Ireland), if it's available, or ADSL from Eircom or a re-seller is the next best thing.

If none of those suit, then Wireless is the next best option. Try Digiweb or Irish Broadband.

After that is HSDPA from a mobile operator, the last resort, if I'm being honest.

I don't know if I've left anything out, so anyone else, please fill the gaps if I have.

I wouldn't go next to near mobile broadband especially the way he says "our" meaning there's more than one,If you can only get mobile broadband i'd recommend you each take out a separate contract with O2/HEAnet broadband scheme,

It cost's €9.99 a month and you get a 10gb cap,Be warned though this is for 12 months and not the college year,The other package is for the college term but is more expensive and half the cap..

Look into digiweb,Clearwire and Irish Broadband they'd be cheaper than a phone line if you don't need one!

Check here for when o2 are on your campus,If not you can go to an o2 shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Just to make sure it sinks in DONT get mobile broadband!

Advertisement