Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Christian missionaries in Thaiand a good or bad thing?

• 02-09-2009 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

First off, I would just like to say that this is not meant as a go at any other religion. I am just interested in what other people think about the topic; especially other Buddhists. Thailand is a 95% Buddhist county, but is tolerant of all religions; this is a great thing. It is also the recipient of some heavy-duty missionary work; most often from the States. Most of these groups are fine but some use very cynical methods; such as producing fake documents in Pali which has the Buddha predicting the coming of Jesus and telling his followers to become Christian. What do other people think about these missionaries; here is my view on the subject;

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2110215/why_christian_missionaries_in_thailand.html?cat=16

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

I'm not so sure. For example; in Thailand the missionaries will only convert people who aren't very good Buddhists. Maybe some type of spirituality will be of benefit.

I think that being a good Christian is more beneficial than a bad Buddhist. The Bible sounds a bit absurd to me but it seems to help some people behave better - mind you it also makes some behave like idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Paulgar: It's very hard to determine what one thinks of missionaries unless one can see what particular practices they engage in. Generally, missionaries, and teaching the Gospel in a Christian context can be nothing but good. In the particular peoples behaviour towards it can make it more a negative than a positive.

In your article you say that Christianity is a threat to Thai culture. I'm not all that sure it is, isn't it possible to remain culturally Thai and a Christian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Paulgar

I was careful to say that I didn't think that Christianity was a threat to Thai culture. Missionaries have been going there for over seven hundred years and have had little impact; at least when it comes to conversions. The point of my article was to highlight the concerns felt by many expats living in Thailand.

I personally don't think anything is a threat to Thai culture because whatever people do or believe in is their culture. If they were all to become Christian tomorrow that would be their culture.

I do recognise though, that the fact that Christian groups tend to target children is a bit cynical. But the people of Thailand seem happy to tolerate this kind of thing so I just ignore it.

Advertisement