Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media Center Extender

• 02-09-2009 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere already but apologies if it is.

Ive been trying to set up the windows media center extender and got as far as the configuration but it breaks down at the searching for extender stage:

Extender Not Found
    Setup Could Not Find Your Extender. Verify The Following:
    • Your extender is on and connected to the same network as the computer
    • Your setup key is correct.
    • Your firewall is set up to allow upnp discovery

Now im pretty sure that im typing the code in correctly and ive been on my router homepage expert mode and the upnp box is ticked.

What could i be doing wrong then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pires

Which windows do you have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

I had a nightmare setting this up with Windows Media Center Edition 2005. After installing the relevant MCE updates, I had to install firmware updates on router and on homeplug networking gear to properly support UPnP. I'm prettly sure they have to be on the same subnet too. Anyway, it's really shaky - even after you get MCE connected once, it will stop contacting the media center properly after a while. I ditched the MCE idea and use TVersity to stream movies - means i can't stream live TV to the box, but I'll have to live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

afaik your pc must be wired to your router
    i had it set up before and it was only working when the lap top was wired up
    now i have a proper pc and its wireless and it wont work .
    getting the same message as the op

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

pires wrote: »
    Which windows do you have ?

Windows Vista Home Premium
    afaik your pc must be wired to your router
    i had it set up before and it was only working when the lap top was wired up
    now i have a proper pc and its wireless and it wont work .
    getting the same message as the op

If i connected my laptop to my xbox via ethernet that would mean no xbox live, and i dont really wana go through the whole using laptop as a wireless adapter rigmarole:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Like a fair few of ye I tried and tried and tried, finally got it working and wondered why I bothered.The streaming I found to be crap at the best of times and I know alot of people recommend tversity but I found that tpo be a bunch of arse as well.Much easier just sticking a usb key in with movies or whatever, quality is better imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I gave up on media center extender and downloaded tversity but i have to say its pretty good, really handy for streaming music and the youtube videos are a cool feature, though if i wanted to watch a video id stick it on my memory stick yeah :p

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pires

Like mentioned before, I have the hard disk plug on the xbox so no need for streaming, but some movies I cant play so I use my pc to stream and transcode on the fly, best option is get the last version of windows media player and then use wmp as a streamer, you dont need another software, i have tried then all and I found that wmp do the same and is just one software running on my laptop, I do all that by wireless

It works but is slow as a snail, just connect through video and music library and share some folders instead.

Advertisement