Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama gone loco or something?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭

what happened here?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32195465/ns/entertainment-television/
    PASADENA, Calif. - George Lopez landed a big name cameo in the pilot presentation of his talk show: President Barack Obama.In a clip shown during a Tuesday meeting of the Television Critics Association, the comedian jokingly begs for a cabinet spot from the president.

Obama lightly brushes him off, saying: “George, you need to change late night. That’s the kind of change I can believe in.”

Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

Lopez hopes the president will appear as a full-fledged guest on his upcoming late-night TBS talk show when it premieres in November. The 48-year-old comedian, who stumped for Obama on the campaign trail last year, told reporters Obama is a “close friend” and that he would be “personally offended” if Obama did not appear on “Lopez Tonight” the next time he is in Los Angeles.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. COUGH COUGH HACK OMG THIS PLEGHM WONT LEAVE ME ALONE
    The promo for the show (with Obama in it) is currently running on TBS.

What happened to the 90s.. you know. And before. And the Bush Administration. When the president was officially "too dignified" to do TV and movie spots? Back when the Studios needed special permission just to use the image of a president (often resorting to fake character presidents). Press Interviews being the exception to the rule.

You want your man looking after the country not cracking jokes with Conan O'Brien.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

TBH nothing different here that appearing on the Letterman or Daily Show.
    Many politicans have done it and will continue to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Hi,ya overheal,i agree with you that Barack is walking on thin ice by appearing on mainstream comedy shows.its fine for a president when his poll ratings are high,but after that it is most likely going to be a bad idea.

George Bush jnr was quite capable of having some fun poked at him,but chose the relative safety of the annual white house correspondents dinner(only covered live by C-Span:))to try it,although this is not *off the cuff*remarks by GB i dare ANYBODY not to find it very funny.(when i found it i was very surprised how much GB allowed himself to be made fun of)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jank wrote: »
    TBH nothing different here that appearing on the Letterman or Daily Show.
    Many politicans have done it and will continue to do so.
    but ever a sitting president?

Does it matter though? If politicans running for president do it why all of a sudden a president can't do it. Obama is of a different generation than McCain, Bush and Bill Clinton.

I don't see the big deal here. It is a non event. If you don't approve don't watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Overheal wrote: »
    but ever a sitting president?

Why should the president be treated any differently to any other politician? By separating him from the other politicians, you inadvertantly separate him from the same expectations/rules/limitations that other politicians have.

From his point-of-view, he probably believes that this sort of thing will remove the mystique about the office of the president and people will realise that no matter who it is, they are just human.

• Advertisement

Agreed.

As Karl Rove said about bush (you like Rove dont you? ;)), your just a guy people want to have a beer with!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

.(when i found it i was very surprised how much GB allowed himself to be made fun of)

Shouldnt be too surprised by that - Bush was known for having a sense of humour and the ability to laugh at himself. Helped him fit in I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Bush didn't have the wit to go on one of those shows he'd just make a fool of himself. Obama is just using the medium just like all politicians use whatever mediums are available to them. He just has the charisma to pull it off, most don't.

Advertisement