Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 free webtexts???

• 02-09-2009 7:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a catch behind O2's free webtexts? Can you buy a ready to go Sim, register the number online and then every month get the 250 free webtexts without ever topping up the credit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Pretty much yep, but if you don't top up for a certain amount of time 12 months or so I think, your sim will become inactive, I'm not sure about the account online but it'd be pretty useless sending texts from an inactive number if the recipient is going to reply to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

cormie wrote: »
    Pretty much yep, but if you don't top up for a certain amount of time 12 months or so I think, your sim will become inactive, I'm not sure about the account online but it'd be pretty useless sending texts from an inactive number if the recipient is going to reply to it.

its for a relative abroad...its costing them a fortune sending texts using their local number but if they had online texting they could use that and then we could online text back to their local number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think you'd probably need to put some credit on the SIM once a year. Of course the relative could use this credit for calls, perhaps while on holiday in Ireland.

the Cabbage application allows use of the webtexts using the internet connection from your phone while on the move, the cost of this would depend on the deal the person has on their network but would probably only be a cent or two.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165333

International texting is winning out in the Vodafone Missionred competition to determine the service they should provide, so perhaps Vodafone will be an option in the future. Vodafone would also need credit, but you can transfer credit from one Voda PAYG user to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

With O2 you have to make a chargeable call/text every 6 months to keep it active. They don't require you to top up

• Advertisement

topping up can be done online so that makes that bit easier.

Once I'm aware that a call has to be made every 6 months, then they will know in advance. They can always use the sim when in Ireland so they don't have to use their foreign mobile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

With O2 you have to make a chargeable call/text every 6 months to keep it active

It wouldn't be difficult to send a chargeable text every few months at the roaming rate, just to keep things going.

ardmacha wrote: »
    It wouldn't be difficult to send a chargeable text every few months at the roaming rate, just to keep things going.

exactly

Advertisement