Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish Political Party, Amhran Nua

Options
  • 02-09-2009 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hello, my first post on the infamous Boards.ie, and apologies to the
    mods and members if this is in the wrong place. I'm working with a new
    group which has been founded recently to help address the problems
    raised by the government and political parties in Ireland, and encourage
    a growth in the real economy.

The fruits of our labours can be found here:

http://amhrannua.com/

The site contains policy concepts, arrived at by discussion with
    affected members of the public. Any opinions on any of these, or
    suggestions for amendment, or new ideas are warmly welcomed!

The main platform of the party is one of accountability and transparency
    in public office, which is needed as a counterpoint to the cronyism in
    Irish politics; problems have their roots at the top, and at the top is
    where they must be tackled first. Of course it doesn't end there, there
    are a broad base of policies that are aimed at renewal and growth in
    Ireland, and these are entirely based upon realistic expectations of
    what can be achieved, while being far reaching and wide ranging. We are
    not associated with any existing political party.

At this time it isn't an officially recognised party, we're a political
    group until we get the required few hundred signatures and a TD to
    accept it as such, which shouldn't take long.

Thanks for taking the time to give us a look!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Where do you stand on bears?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Could you kend me some money? I'll work tirelessly for your group beating up political opponents, framing enemies and collecting money via "legitimate" means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Normal bears or Bear Jews?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Where do you stand on Happy Hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I for one welcome our new political overlords

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

You had me...until
    The overwhelming success of such displays as Riverdance underline the enchantment which Irish culture holds for many around the world

Damn Flatleylovers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Although AH probably has one of the highest traffic levels of any Forum on Boards, it is not really the place to go for anything you want to be considered seriously.

The Politics forum is Here.. You might get a better response there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

The shortfall in expenditure is some €20-odd billion this year

this kind of vague shyte won't fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like a dancing at the crossroads (motorway interchange?) party for the 21st century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

FearDark wrote: »
    Normal bears or Bear Jews?

Thanks man, best laugh this week...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whats your views on the inconsistency of Mary Harney's bowel movements?

And can you comment on the inconsistency of texture and regularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Thanks man, best laugh this week...:D

Here's a question for anyone who's seen that Ingourious Basterds, how long did it take you to get the image of Eli Roth wide eyed and firing his sub-machine gun out of your head?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I love your policy on defence or lack thereof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

So what caused the recession? The recession is something you can't get away from these days, in the press, on the internet, on television and the radio. But what caused it exactly?

In short, much of the growth of the last ten years was paid for with IOUs, and now the time has come to repay them. The problem is a lot of people can't repay them, and the banks don't know who can and can't repay, so all of their loans are suspect.

To get the longer version, we need to go back to the US before 2000. For decades, financial institutions and banks had been lobbying for the removal of something called the Glass Steagall act (1933), which was put in place during the last depression to prevent another great depression. What this act did was to stop banks trying to sell investments to its customers, seperating deposit and investment banks by law. A mere nine years after the repeal of the act, against a background of increasingly lax banking regulation, we find ourselves once again in a depression.

In simple terms, a loan for €1 was sold on to another bank for 95 cent, who sold it on for 90 cent, who sold it on for 85 cent, and so on, until the original loan was now leveraged from €1 to €50, only €1 of which was actually real.

A further issue which arose, was that banks securitised their loans, basically packaged them up into instruments so complicated that even the banks themselves couldn't comprehend them, and sold them on to pension funds and investment groups. When many of these loans ultimately turned out to be bad, the banks not only didn't know which loans were good or bad, they had immense difficulty tracking where these loans actually were.

So of course, most of the English speaking world followed the lead of the US, leading to the situation we have today. In Ireland this was actually made worse by government policy intended to inflate the property market, the main vehicle people put their money into and took out major loans for. These property loans didn't create any value, or any wealth, they simply built properties that added nothing to the economy, removing productive wealth from the country.

And those, essentially are the causes for the recession in Ireland.

I would give that a C-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Same old [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL], different name, so you want to be part of europe and keep all power, won't work.
    #

Best of luck, you'll need it,

If you were a revolutionary party, ready to tell europe to feck off, tell shell to feck off, get our exports up to capacity, reap what we sow, drag members of the dail out by the hair and chop them up with samarai swords i might be interested but it's like a school project your doing, not running a country.

uprising wrote: »
    Same old [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL], samarai swords .

They banned these yesterday, my neighbour is a samarai and he is awfully upset. What is a Samarai without his Sword

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0901/justice.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 honesty101

Given the stage we are at at present we welcome constructive criticism. Any thoughts or opinions on the way forward are welcomed. We also welcome new members who are annoyed, like us, as to the way we are being treated by this government. Maybe I am being very naive or too idealistic but i was brought up with the idea that if one had nothing positive to say then they should keep their mouths closed.
    If our policies are found to be wanting then give us your thoughts. Are political parties/pressure groups not supposed to be the voice of the people? Politicians are supposed to bring the consensus of their members to the attention of government.
    We are obviously not being listened to at present and the country does need new blood. Now is the time to start making a difference. Every one involved with Amhran Nua is doing so on a voluntary basis. If we were all to sit on our asses going 'here we go again' then nothing would get done.
    Criticism is welcome but only constructive ones please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

honesty101 wrote:
    If our policies are found to be wanting then give us your thoughts. Are political parties/pressure groups not supposed to be the voice of the people? Politicians are supposed to bring the consensus of their members to the attention of government.

Do you have a policy on immigration? It's an issue of concern for many Irish people and yet it's ignored by all the other parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

honesty101 wrote: »
    Given the stage we are at at present we welcome constructive criticism. !

ok so here goes

http://amhrannua.com/irish-politics-policy?page_id=24
    With that in mind, we propose a postponement of a new Lisbon referendum until the country is no longer in a state of duress which might affect the democratic process, in other words until the country is relatively stable economically again.

very bad timing for yee to put that up with 1 months to go, it wont happen and will also turn away alot of NO and YES voters

so pick a side and go with it, thats politics you need to get hands dirty

also yee can use Lisbon to gain awareness of your existence, case in point Libertas last year

O'Morris wrote: »
    Do you have a policy on immigration? It's an issue of concern for many Irish people and yet it's ignored by all the other parties.

please O'Morris dont drag yet another thread into your xenophobic fantasies, immigration is not a big issue, main concerns now are Lisbon and Economy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We also welcome new members who are annoyed, like us, as to the way we are being treated by this government. Maybe I am being very naive or too idealistic but i was brought up with the idea that if one had nothing positive to say then they should keep their mouths closed.

There is a severe flaw with that statement. You want people who have nothing positive to say to stay quiet, but you also want people to complain :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

ei.sdraob wrote: »

http://amhrannua.com/irish-politics-policy?page_id=24

very bad timing for yee to put that up with 1 months to go, it wont happen and will also turn away alot of NO and YES voters

so pick a side and go with it, thats politics you need to get hands dirty

also yee can use Lisbon to gain awareness of your existence, case in point Libertas last year

+1 The referendum is happening. There is no point wishing that it is not happening. Thats not a 'policy'.

In any case, I don't its acceptable for the rest of Europe to postpone ratification of the treaty until Ireland comes out of resession. (Could be 2 years, 5 years? Who knows?)

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    +1 The referendum is happening. There is no point wishing that it is not happening. Thats not a 'policy'.

In any case, I don't its acceptable for the rest of Europe to postpone ratification of the treaty until Ireland comes out of resession. (Could be 2 years, 5 years? Who knows?)

i think Amhran Nua have not decided which way they will lean when it comes to this Treaty

hence they are using a cop out

but as i said that doesn't do this party any favors

people need to see what the policy are and where they stand on issues (and Lisbon is a big issue now) saying "we want to stay out of it" and trying to claim middle ground doesn't do them any favors and makes the appear as either:

* not capable of making decisions
    * populist
    * not willing to commit themselves as the referendum may go each way and theres a ~50/50 chance they loose potential members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

genericguy wrote: »
    this kind of vague shyte won't fly.

But the Dept. of Finance saying "NAMA will cost 60 to 90 billion euros, we'll pay about 60% or 80% or whatever. Just trust us, we've never led you wrong before..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Quazzie wrote: »
    There is a severe flaw with that statement. You want people who have nothing positive to say to stay quiet, but you also want people to complain :confused:

I think what he means is, no empty whinging "It's a disgrace, Joe": if you're going to criticise something, suggest an alternative along with it.

994 wrote: »
    But the Dept. of Finance saying "NAMA will cost 60 to 90 billion euros, we'll pay about 60% or 80% or whatever. Just trust us, we've never led you wrong before..."

and FF have no hope in hell of ever being voted in again (unless voters are really stupid or have short memories or both)

does this new party want to follow such footsteps

they are asking for positive criticism, and its being provided

* they cant sit on fence about important issues such as Lisbon, Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall...

* they cant offer vague policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

Interesting that there is no postal address and not one contact name or number. Its like a giant RSS feed of other people's news.
    Together we can make a difference.
    Who? Who can make a difference? I'm all with you that we need new faces but we have to be able to see them!

Thanks ronanf. Please also see our facebook campaign
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=138502126203
    This was just launch yesterday. Join here or in the website preferably. Given that we are quite small as yet we are just seeking out people who think the same (probably a lot of people out there like us who are annoyed!) we just need our name to get in front of them.
    We welcome opinions on our policies from everyone. We will also be approaching academics for their perspective.
    Thanks for your interest.

As for our position on Lisbon, while it may seem that we are incapable of making decisions even at this early stage we have decided on our position simply because we do not want to appear to be a front for either the yes or no campaign.
    Without wanting to be dismissive of the Treaty we sincerely believe that it serves at this point as being only a distraction from the work the government should be attending to.
    We welcome feedback on our site through here or through the various forum on our site.

Without wanting to be dismissive of the Treaty we sincerely believe that it serves at this point as being only a distraction from the work the government should be attending to.

I was dismissing your posts for a while but you hit the nail on the head with that one..... I might have another read of your posts:)

• Advertisement

Let the bears pay the bear tax.

Advertisement