Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Online Shop

Options
  • 02-09-2009 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

I bought a PrePay Three Mobile handset from www.three.ie using my Laser Card. The process went through and I got my confirmation order number. I checked my 365online and the money was gone from my account.

About a half hour later I got an email saying that the order was cancelled. So I phoned three this morning and told that the order was cancelled due to "credit checking" and that my money would be back in the bank within 10 working days!!!

Now, firstly I have no credit problems and never have been OD on my bank a/c nor do I possess a credit card or have any utility bills in my name. I find this practice outlandish. Firstly I am not a bank and do not wish to loan 3 Ireland over €100 for ten days.

What are my rights in this regard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Danno wrote: »
    I bought a PrePay Three Mobile handset from www.three.ie using my Laser Card. The process went through and I got my confirmation order number. I checked my 365online and the money was gone from my account.

About a half hour later I got an email saying that the order was cancelled. So I phoned three this morning and told that the order was cancelled due to "credit checking" and that my money would be back in the bank within 10 working days!!!

Now, firstly I have no credit problems and never have been OD on my bank a/c nor do I possess a credit card or have any utility bills in my name. I find this practice outlandish. Firstly I am not a bank and do not wish to loan 3 Ireland over €100 for ten days.

what are three playing at?

they cancelled a PRE-PAY account as they had a problem with your credit rating but three-pay accounts are not "credit" accounts, but they had already taken the cost from your bank account and say they will repay in ten days?

obviously the people dealing with this have gotten their arse and elbow mixed up and have you marked as a bill-pay customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd recommend a different operator, as Three have just shown themselves as undeserving of your business. Why would you want to continue with them after this?

A Laser payment shouldn't take more than a few days to reverse, but it depends on the banks as well as the merchant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

Danno wrote: »

Aside from the fact that a credit check on a prepay customer is nonsensical, having no or very little credit history (i.e. no credit cards, no overdraft, no utility bills in your name) is likely to lower your credit score. Your score would go up by having a positive payment history for credit cards, overdrafts, utility bills, etc. Sounds daft that you can be penalised for avoiding debt, but credit scores are based to a large extent on previous positive repayment behaviour.

What do Three's T&Cs say about refunds?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

could it be that they though your order was fraud in some way and that's why it's been refunded, credit card fraud is a big problem in Ireland, something may have come up with a warning about the transaction and they may have rejected it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I dunno, this is quite a mess. If they wanted a credit check for a pre-pay account, then fair enough. But to take my money for ten days is taking the urine, dribbles and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

could it be that they though your order was fraud in some way and that's why it's been refunded, credit card fraud is a big problem in Ireland, something may have come up with a warning about the transaction and they may have rejected it..

How was it credit card fraud though when it was laser transaction coming from a current account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

what way would that work? a prepay account is very unlikely to be used for fraud. why would they block it after they had taken the funds from the account?? maybe three in india have blacklisted ireland as a hub of online fraud because we think the same of india and all asian countries?

Advertisement