Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest silly FIFA rankings

• 02-09-2009 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

straight from fifia.com table

The September edition of the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking sees Brazil unmoved at the top of the table ahead of Spain and the Netherlands. The Spaniards are gaining ground on the Brazilians, however, and they now have a significant lead over the third-placed Dutch.

World champions Italy (4th, up 1) have also made inroads and are now joint fourth with Germany. Croatia (9th, up 1) and France (10th, down 1) have also traded places. Mexico, who comfortably defeated the USA in the final of the Gold Cup to take the CONCACAF title in August, recently repeated the feat by overcoming the Americans in a FIFA World Cup™ qualifier, a victory that sees the Mexicans (24th, up 6) climb the world ranking.

Other teams to have seen off the challenge of higher-ranked teams to make progress in the table include Norway (43rd, up 7) and Chile (21st, up 5). Congo (79th, up 10), Angola (92nd, up 10) and Kyrgyzstan (143rd, up 17) have also taken significant leaps up the ranking. Australia (14th, up 2), Benin (78th, up 5) and Montenegro (89th, up 7) are all currently in their highest-ever position.

A total of eight 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers and 62 friendly matches were played in the past month, bringing the total number of "A" international matches played in 2009 to 509. Many more qualifiers will be played in the next few weeks, which will lead to considerable movement in the next edition of the world ranking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

How are Scotland and Northern Ireland ahead of Rep. of Ireland :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Gabon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

This one's interesting
    Bulgaria 19th
    Ireland 38th
    Cyprus 76th

Also
    Serbia 13th (wtf!) 4 places above Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

How are USA ranked 11th? Seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

creggy wrote: »

Not that much to choose between the 3 of them, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Not for long dont worry, Scotland and Northern ireland had both risen to relatively high standings a couple of years ago, (I thin Scotland were at around 14 at one stage) but are quickly plummeting at the moment under their respective management teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ADTR wrote: »

USA are a good team

they got to the final of the confederations cup and the gold cup

and lay 3rd in their qualifying group (joined 2nd on points with Honduras)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The rankings aren't that silly, mike, they make perfect sense within the rules.

Or is it the rules you think are silly?
    By virtue of their Euro 08 qualifying games most likely. Plus good results against the bigger teams.

The rankings take the previous 4 years into account, so, for example, Italy's WC 06 showing is still taken account.

If Italy continue with so-so results (maybe the'll come 2nd in qualifying ;)), a declining ranking will eventually be reflected post WC10 (assuming they don't win it or go far!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

bluefinger wrote: »
    This one's interesting
    Bulgaria 19th
    Ireland 38th
    Cyprus 76th

Also

Well with the crazy ranking system beating a team 38 places behind us(Cyprus) will prob put us 1st or something

Eirebear wrote: »
    Not for long dont worry, Scotland and Northern ireland had both risen to relatively high standings a couple of years ago, (I thin Scotland were at around 14 at one stage) but are quickly plummeting at the moment under their respective management teams.

It's actually the Republic who have fallen from the start of the year. Scotland and NI have moved up.

• Advertisement

here would be my top 8 teams
    1. Spain
    2. Brazil
    3. Netherlands
    4. England
    5. France
    6. Germany
    7. Argentina
    8. serbia

Argentina would be higher only for their Rookie manager,for anyone interested their taking on brazil on the 6th of September if my memory serves me right

Soby wrote: »
    Well with the crazy ranking system beating a team 38 places behind us(Cyprus) will prob put us 1st or something

which would be 5 whole places above our previous highest.....6th in 1992-93
    those were the days! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Headshot wrote: »
    1. Spain
    2. Brazil
    3. Netherlands
    4. England
    5. France
    6. Germany
    7. Argentina
    8. Germany

You really can never write off the Germans!!

1. Spain
    2. Brazil
    3. Netherlands
    4. England
    5. France
    6. Germany
    7. Argentina
    8. serbia

is that what's called a 'ninja edit' arount here? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Because the Fifa rankings are an absolute joke imo. Teams like Mexico, USA, Australia etc are ranked way higher than they should be. Also Brazil seem to be always number 1- obviously picking up points playing difficult friendlies in South America against the likes of Venezuala and Peru. :rolleyes:

The Elo Ranking system is slightly better:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_football_rating

And, it's quite interesting to note that if the ELO system was used to pick the best 32 countries for the World Cup, then Ireland would just sneak in: :D

1 Brazil
    2 Spain
    3 Netherlands
    4 England
    5 Germany
    6 Italy
    7 Argentina
    8 Croatia
    9 Russia
    10 Mexico
    11 France
    12 Chile
    13 Denmark
    14 Turkey
    15 Serbia
    16 Portugal
    17 Uruguay
    18 United States
    19 Switzerland
    20 Czech Republic
    21 Romania
    22 Bulgaria
    23 Paraguay
    24 Ukraine
    25 Australia
    26 Côte d'Ivoire
    Japan
    28 Greece
    29 Honduras
    30 Ghana
    31 Nigeria
    32 Republic of Ireland

So, 6 countries from South America, 19 from Europe, 2 from North America, 2 from Asia, and 3 from Africa would give us the best 32 countries to compete in the World Cup, and would make the competition a lot stronger imo. Maybe Fifa should allot places for each continent based on an accurate ranking system like this? It would certainly suit Ireland anyway, and it would get rid of some of the dross in the World Cup.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    It's actually the Republic who have fallen from the start of the year. Scotland and NI have moved up.

And last Augusts rankings show Scotland in 16th while Ireland sit 42nd.

I would say its evening out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pro-Gambler Kevin Pullein in the Racing Post always reckoned that the FIFA rankings were one of the most underated punter tools out there.

He had a basic result prediction formula of (I think) just under half a goal for every 20 places differences between teams, increasing to half a goal per 15 places lower down the list, then another .4 goal for home advantage.

He then converted this result prediction to odds (e.g., a home team that he believed favoured to win by ~.8 of a goal should be around 8/11) and blindly bet those instances where a team was available at a bigger price then that predicted.

It proved to be a winning formula, mainly because of the perception shared by punters and oddsmakers, and hammered home by the media that these rankings are a joke.
    Whereas they are actually extremely accurate.

(Some of the exact formula above will be wrong as its from memory.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Pro-Gambler Kevin Pullein in the Racing Post always reckoned that the FIFA rankings were one of the most underated punter tools out there.

He had a basic result prediction formula of (I think) just under half a goal for every 20 places differences between teams, increasing to half a goal per 15 places lower down the list, then another .4 goal for home advantage.

He then converted this result prediction to odds (e.g., a home team that he believed favoured to win by ~.8 of a goal should be around 8/11) and blindly bet those instances where a team was available at a bigger price then that predicted.

It proved to be a winning formula, mainly because of the perception shared by punters and oddsmakers, and hammered home by the media that these rankings are a joke.
    Whereas they are actually extremely accurate.

(Some of the exact formula above will be wrong as its from memory.)

The rankings can be interrupted using the following formula

They are a joke when

1. England are rising

and/or

2. Ireland are falling

They are not a joke when

1. Ireland are rising

and/or

2. England are falling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

They are a joke when

1. England are rising

and/or

2. Ireland are falling

They are not a joke when

1. Ireland are rising

and/or

2. England are falling

The Fifa rankings are a joke. Apparently, Brazil were the best international team between 1995 to 2001. USA were ranked 4th in 2006, despite finishing bottom of their World Cup group. Joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

How the hell are England ranked 4th in the ELO rankings? They didnt even make the Euros and bombed out (again) in the last World Cup. Beating a bunch of no-hopers in a WC qualifying group hardly makes them the 4th best team in the world.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    And last Augusts rankings show Scotland in 16th while Ireland sit 42nd.

I would say its evening out...

Read what I was responding to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

They are a joke when

1. England are rising

and/or

2. Ireland are falling

They are not a joke when

1. Ireland are rising

and/or

2. England are falling

Maybe for you, but not for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Read what I was responding to.

Uh-huh, you pointed out to me that since January Scotland have risen 3 or 4 places while ireland have dropped a couple.

All im suggesting is that you maybe have a look further back, and it might give you an idea as to why Scotland are just above Ireland at the moment given the fact that the ranking points are held for 4 or 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

is that what's called a 'ninja edit' arount here? :)

Yes it is. :)

Also if anyone is looking at headshot's picks and thinking "Serbia WTF!" then i must explain that it is due to Headshot's man-crush on Zoran Tosic.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

So, 6 countries from South America, 19 from Europe, 2 from North America, 2 from Asia, and 3 from Africa would give us the best 32 countries to compete in the World Cup, and would make the competition a lot stronger imo. Maybe Fifa should allot places for each continent based on an accurate ranking system like this? It would certainly suit Ireland anyway, and it would get rid of some of the dross in the World Cup.

I don't think we are in a position to look down on any world cup qualifiers. Our squad at the moment is probably weaker than it's ever been for over 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yes it is. :)

Also if anyone is looking at headshot's picks and thinking "Serbia WTF!" then i must explain that it is due to Headshot's man-crush on Zoran Tosic.

:P

And Vidic. It just had to be a man-u fan putting Serbia in the top 8!
    I think the fifa rankings are fairly accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Because the Fifa rankings are an absolute joke imo. Teams like Mexico, USA, Australia etc are ranked way higher than they should be. Also Brazil seem to be always number 1- obviously picking up points playing difficult friendlies in South America against the likes of Venezuala and Peru. :rolleyes:

Are you really complaining about Brazil being rated the best team in the world? :p

In fairness, the likes of Norn Iron beat Spain in the past four seasons or so, and England too, the kind of results we haven't been getting.

While I've no doubts that we're better than them, and quite possibly better than Scotland, keep in mind that Stan's reign is part of the timeframe used by the FIFA rankings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This one's interesting
    Bulgaria 19th
    Ireland 38th
    Cyprus 76th

Also

On current form Serbia are way better than Portugal (although maybe you are suggesting they should be further ahead :rolleyes:)

tbf serbia are an up in coming Nation

there flying ahead in their qualifying group and their U19 and U21s are pretty good

only for injuries they've would of won U19 championships and U21 championships

and no im not saying this because im a utd fan

• Advertisement

USA are a good team

they got to the final of the confederations cup and the gold cup

and lay 3rd in their qualifying group (joined 2nd on points with Honduras)

Those two competitions aren't taken seriously by the better teams. And Honduras! Ha!

Those two competitions aren't taken seriously by the better teams. And Honduras! Ha!

did you see the confederations cup ?

ill probably agree with the gold cup but ill repeat myself did you see the confederations cup ?

did you see the confederations cup ?

ill probably agree with the gold cup but ill repeat myself did you see the confederations cup ?

No, I didn't. I know that the US beat Spain and only lost to Brazil in the final although they were easily beaten by Brazil in the group stage.

No, I didn't. I know that the US beat Spain and only lost to Brazil in the final although they were easily beaten by Brazil in the group stage.

so you shouldnt comment on it then

all the big teams had their best 1st team out

the Brazilians made a big deal out of it

Brazil-celebrate-winning--001.jpg

so you shouldnt comment on it then

all the big teams had their best 1st team out

the Brazilians made a big deal out of it

Brazil-celebrate-winning--001.jpg

I know. But results were all over the place. Spain only beat Iraq 1:0. Come on! It's just over glorified friendlies.

Anyway, back on point. USA should not be 11th in the world.

I know. But results were all over the place. Spain only beat Iraq 1:0. Come on!

Anyway, back on point. USA should not be 11th in the world.

again if you watched the match you would know Iraq had 11 men behind the ball all the time and never attacked at all

• Advertisement

again if you watched the match you would know Iraq had 11 men behind the ball all the time and never attacked at all

If Spain are so good, they should be able to counter that.

i hate people commenting on a match they havent watched

really grind my gears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Football doesn't work like that. If the team you are playing against are packing their box with 10 men, there isn't a whole lot you can do. There is no space to find your forwards, and most teams usually have to rely on shooting from outside the box.

The rankings are what they are. Personally, I have no issue with them. Its got to be done some way, and this seems fair enough.

i hate people commenting on a match they havent watched

really grind my gears

I'm not commenting on a match. I stated that USA should not be 11th. You took issue with this and to disprove this point you dragged out the Confederations Cup and the Gold Cup which are the international equivalents of the World Club Championship. Just watch how the US do when they play in a real tournament.

I'm not commenting on a match. I stated that USA should not be 11th. You took issue with this and to disprove this point you dragged out the Confederations Cup and the Gold Cup which are the international equivalents of the World Club Championship. Just watch how the US do when they play in a real tournament.

now your saying the WCC isnt a serious competition :D

I can see why usa are 11th because there a good team,btw when is the last time you saw usa ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

People are always surprised at the rankings the USA have had over the past number of years.

People seem to think that just because football is not the primary sport in the country the national team should be useless

Fair enough they play qualifying games in a weaker federation but they did get to the quarters of the 2002 World Cup on merit and it was only a very tough draw in a group that included Italy, and inspired Ghana, and The Czech Republic that resulted in a poor 2006 World Cup

I would not be one bit surprised if, over the coming world cups, they were not consistent quarter finalists and occasional semi finalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

The list seems ok to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

They did..hence the 1-0 score line

Advertisement