Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running routes near Stephens Green, Dublin

• 02-09-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently changed jobs and I no longer can go running along the seas front in Clontarf at lunch. I'm now based just off Stephen's Green. Does anyone know of any running routes around this area, ideally a 10km loop or a 5km out and back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Have a gander on mapmyrun.com. A quick trawl brings up a potential 9 routes.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

tunney wrote: »
    I've recently changed jobs and I no longer can go running along the seas front in Clontarf at lunch. I'm now based just off Stephen's Green. Does anyone know of any running routes around this area, ideally a 10km loop or a 5km out and back?

You could head down to Ringsend Park. From Stephens Green go up Leeson St, down the canal along Mespil Rd and Haddington Rd, crossing under the railway bridge up along Bath Avenue and eventuall reaching Ringsend Park where a couple of laps can be done on the grass there and nice to get away from the city and pavements. Also, instead of turning leftish to go to the park you could have gone right up Beach Rd and eventually Strand Rd and a bit of the seafront.

Each looping back would get you close to 10k I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭depadz

i work nearby and from there to nutley lane (where st vincents & rte is) up to the N11 and back in over leeson street bridge is 5 miles.

you can go past nutley and cross the dart and come back in to the city by the coast aswell.

herbert park is also about 1 mile from the city and can do laps of that if you want to keep partly on grass. laps are ~ 1 mile (unfortunately have to cross a road as the park is split in two).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Along the canal and up through Kilmainham towards Phoenix Park is about 3.5 miles each way. Can avoid traffic at the junctions by nipping down onto the canal path at the bridges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You could run down to Merrion Square and onto Lower Mount Street, Northumberland Road before taking a left onto Haddington Road. Follow that road all the way out to Dollymount Strand. From there you can follow the path out to the sea which brings you through the small protected park there and into the industrial estate. Follow the roads back on Sean Moore road and follow the same route back.

It's 10.2 km or so and is a nice run out by the stand with little traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Dollymount Sandymount Strand. :)
    It's 10.2 km or so and is a nice run out by the stand with little traffic

Yes, nice run that.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

depadz wrote: »
    i work nearby and from there to nutley lane (where st vincents & rte is) up to the N11 and back in over leeson street bridge is 5 miles.

Worked beside Grand Canal Bridge for 10 years so had a fair few routes :

If you head up the N11 and rather than turning at Nutley lane (for the 5) go on till the Booterstown turn, turning left and back home via Merrion Rd/Shelbourne Rd you've got about 7.5 miles.

If you go a little further to the junction beyond this turn it's around 8.5. Go to the next junction (R825/Carysfort Ave turn I think) it's 10+. Go to the next big junction (can't for the life of me think of what the name of it is) is 11+

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

this is the trinity harriers courses:

http://www.duhac.tcdlife.ie/Information/Maps/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Metar

Used to work near Merrion sq and like Tingle's route we used to run down from back gate of Trinity down to Slatterys pub at Bath Ave, down Bath Ave and across main road to little park at start of Sandymount. When you reach the beach, instead of running to beach, hang a left and follow the footpath all the way around. Its a lovely run with the sea always on your right hand side. When you get to the end of the path, you can either turn back and come home the way you went, or else continue on over the nature reserve and do a loop back around to the start of the little park, down some back roads, coming down the road the leads to the recycling centre. It's a lovely run which was a little over 5 miles. (sorry about the description being a bit vague and the lack of road names, but if you're interested, I'll dig out all the names and get an exact route).

We also used to run in Herbert Park and it is a lovely park to run in, but the main road splitting the park is a pain. We used to sometimes just keep to one side (the side without the tennis courts).

And, again Ringsend park is another good spot to run on. A lap of the park sticking to the path is about 1k. In the winter you get a lot of th Trinity runners down there, and the usually mark out distances on the path for the winter season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On this... I am looking for a 5k route in the same area for a lunch time run..

What is Stephens green like to run in? One lap is a km... so 5 would be ideal for pacing. I presume on sunny days its a no go with crowds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »

What is Stephens green like to run in? One lap is a km... so 5 would be ideal for pacing. I presume on sunny days its a no go with crowds?

Crap, tried it once years ago when i last worked in town. Too many people.

I'm going to log routes with my garmin and stick them on my blog with a rating :)

Crap, tried it once years ago when i last worked in town. Too many people.

I'm going to log routes with my garmin and stick them on my blog with a rating :)

Pity, it looked ideal. Will keep an eye out for your reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Pity, it looked ideal. Will keep an eye out for your reviews.

It's fine before 8.30am if that's any good to you.

Did 5 laps of the park today, got down there for 12.30 and out before the crowds at 1.... it was enjoyable enough. Will use it again untill I find a better 5k route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

The Iveagh Gardens might be a better bet for short laps - no crowds.

Entrance is off Harcourt St.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Tommy Max

Is merrion square park itself ok for lunch time running? I don't think the park is open too early in the mornings.

What distance is a lap?

Other than that, the trinity pitch is free to use at lunch also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Tommy Max wrote: »
    Is merrion square park itself ok for lunch time running? I don't think the park is open too early in the mornings.

What distance is a lap?

Other than that, the trinity pitch is free to use at lunch also?

trinity is closed at the moment I think, they only open april to nov

Merrion square is funny - I run there every tuesday but I stick to the east end and do 400m laps. A full lap is about 800m I think. The 400m section is quiet and a nice surface - I wouldn't do the full loop because the west side of the park gets really busy with tourists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Mount street to Herbert park, one full lap of the park & back is about 5k. Mount street down Bath avenue to Seán Moore park, 2 laps of the park & back is just over 5k. Down onto the canal as far as Harold's Cross Bridge & back would do it too (just about back from injury & keeping it to 3/4miles atm so kinda have this sussed :) ).

Great variety of routes around there as suggested above. I'm around there too & would use all of those. If you are hankering for the Northside however, you could head down on the John Rogerson's quay, over the Samuel Beckett Bridge & off out towards the seafront that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

kit3 wrote: »
    Great variety of routes around there as suggested above. I'm around there too & would use all of those. If you are hankering for the Northside however, you could head down on the John Rogerson's quay, over the Samuel Beckett Bridge & off out towards the seafront that way.

the OP is from 2009 :)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    the OP is from 2009 :)

Oops - that was just pointed out to me alright :rolleyes: Reckon he's found his way by now !!

Advertisement