Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much paint do I need?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Painting the inside of my build soon & going to try & buy most/all my paint at once in the hope of getting a decent deal.
    How should I estimate quantities needed, once I know the surface area I have to cover? Is there a ratio/a rule of thumb?:rolleyes:

It will be for the finish coat & I'm hoping to use Colourtrend Washable Matt or a decent mid-sheen.

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Are they newly plasterd walls you are painting onto? If so you'll have to apply a watred down coat of 1 part water to 4/5 part paint (don't hold me to that!)

Convential paints say they cover "up to 17m2" but a safe estimate would be around the 13m2 imo.

Once you have the done the maths for your surface area you can work it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

No, the undercoat is on this good while.icon14.gif

13m2 - is that to a 2.5L can?

Sorry it's up to "17m2" per liter but like I said don't hold me to it. Area coverage is always displayed on the tin anyway so have a quick look at that before you purchase.

Also quick question out of interest are you buying your colour off the shelf or having it mixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

bit of both - some colours off the shelf but others off a colour card.
    Cheers

Quick tip so regarding mixed paints.

If the colour is light it can be mixed into the White Emulsion which is sold off the shelf as opposed to the cans that are used during the mixing process.

Basically any colour that is goin to be mixed into a "light" base can be mixed into ordinary White Emulsion saving you a few shillings in the process.

Most Hardware/Paint shops usually have offers on 10 liter paints so if you are using a considerable amount of one colour, mixing into one of these could save you quite a bit in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement