Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Attempt

• 02-09-2009 10:52am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Only found the Magic & Illusion forum a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea to practice a few tricks for my 40th party (30/8). I decided to pick a few of the more entry level tricks and then learn the Prestige that was posted up on the forum.

I practiced non-stop for a number of weeks initially focusing on how to force a card and some other card manipulation techiques. I then learnt a few of the more basic rope thricks - 3 in fact - the 3 ropes into one, the cut a rope and put it back into one, and a tirck where you remove a solid ring from a knot in the rope while spectators hold the ends.

i felt i had the tricks down enough so not to make a compete moron of my self. I initially wanted to do a show or performance for the guest but decided a more intimate approach might be easier so I just went around from group to group showing tricks for most of the night.

Everything went better than expected but I wasn't really prepared for the level of scepticism from the audience. I felt that I not only had to perform the trick but had to justify every move I made and initially it did effect me a bit. Anyone have any pointers on this.

So now that it's over i really want ot keep it up - I don't think I want to do anything commercail etc but just want to become a better magician.

I have sent away for some of the books recommended onthe forum but do you guys ever meet up and is there a place for a complete noob?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I know the guys have had a few meet ups but its a fairly quiet forum (i'm sure it will pick up given the time of year).

One thing I will say is dont leave it too long before you head out again because its easy to lose momentum. Always be working on a new trick or perfecting a current one.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Only found the Magic & Illusion forum a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea to practice a few tricks for my 40th party (30/8). I decided to pick a few of the more entry level tricks and then learn the Prestige that was posted up on the forum.

I practiced non-stop for a number of weeks initially focusing on how to force a card and some other card manipulation techiques. I then learnt a few of the more basic rope thricks - 3 in fact - the 3 ropes into one, the cut a rope and put it back into one, and a tirck where you remove a solid ring from a knot in the rope while spectators hold the ends.

i felt i had the tricks down enough so not to make a compete moron of my self. I initially wanted to do a show or performance for the guest but decided a more intimate approach might be easier so I just went around from group to group showing tricks for most of the night.

Everything went better than expected but I wasn't really prepared for the level of scepticism from the audience. I felt that I not only had to perform the trick but had to justify every move I made and initially it did effect me a bit. Anyone have any pointers on this.

So now that it's over i really want ot keep it up - I don't think I want to do anything commercail etc but just want to become a better magician.

I have sent away for some of the books recommended onthe forum but do you guys ever meet up and is there a place for a complete noob?

Hi Hyzepher, welcome to the forum.

The main problem you are experiencing is down to two things. The first is that you are more than likely not assertive enough, and secondly, you are not 'natural' enough. Both can be fixed with time and practice. Oftentimes, when a magician starts off he is not that confident in his abilities, worried he will screw up etc. This is where the assertiveness comes in, and it will start to build as your confidence improves (Mostly through spec reactions).

One of the biggest things about sleight of hand is you need to do unnatural things in a natural way. For example, you may want to deal a card from the bottom of the deck, but it needs to look exactly as if you were drawing a card from the top of the deck. When combined with more confidence, this voids the questioning you were experiencing from your audience. Someone questioning why you were doing something in a certain manner would be met with the response "Well how else do you expect me to do it?".

Both these things are easilly rectified and should come naturally as your skills and confidence improve. Don't worry too much about it.

With regards to meetups, sure there are a few different magic societies based around the country. Where are you based?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

oeb wrote: »
    With regards to meetups, sure there are a few different magic societies based around the country. Where are you based?

I'm in Dublin - anything there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin - anything there?
    Ring85 meets there - http://www.ring85.50megs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

No they don't!

SIM and the Mystics meet here. (Links will be on www.irishmagicnews.com [sorry Ian])

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

welcome to the fold hyzepher! It really sounds just like practise practise practise. after a while you just get used to crowd management and dodging the specific questions. also, some people are born sceptics and will do anything to catch you out. keep practising on small groups, and your natural flow will adjust! the idea in illusions is the biggest moves happen when you look like you're doing nothing at all, so just relax, get the moves down (even practise with your eyes closed!) and you'll be able to not draw attention to the moves. If you're acting nervous on approach to a move, or your hands tense up, the spectator will subconsciously pick up on it.

Advertisement