Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet minding

Options
  • 02-09-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hi i am going on holidays and looking for my two gerbils and two guinea pigs to be taken care of while i away. The cheapest price i've been given is 182euro!! so expensive!! anyone know of a cheaper option aside from leaving them to fend for themselves??

last time i left them with a friend one died..just saying..

Also any nice people who have the room for them for two weeks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

hi there,, where are you based,,
    ,I know how hard it is to go away even for a short time when you have little critters...
    could you ask a neighbour or friend to come over and feed them while your away,,my neighbour feeds my two cats and keeps an eye on them while my daughters friend took the hamster,,the rats were a different matter but my brother took them ( he wasnt over joyed but i knew he would look after them well) On top of that the dog went to kennel,, It was like a family gathering the day we came home:D,,
    If you are leaving them with friends make sure you write all instructions down then no unwanted mistakes:(

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

joyce2009 wrote: »
    hi there,, where are you based,,
    ,I know how hard it is to go away even for a short time when you have little critters...
    could you ask a neighbour or friend to come over and feed them while your away,,my neighbour feeds my two cats and keeps an eye on them while my daughters friend took the hamster,,the rats were a different matter but my brother took them ( he wasnt over joyed but i knew he would look after them well) On top of that the dog went to kennel,, It was like a family gathering the day we came home:D,,
    If you are leaving them with friends make sure you write all instructions down then no unwanted mistakes:(

i'll have to ask a friend he can't keep them in his gaf as he has a cat!!
    He lives 10min walk away so not too bad.

I'll have to write instructions down yea good tip. Do you think they'll be ok without much out of cage activity? i usually let the guineas run around my room but they are hard enough to catch so couldn't let him do it and they have a pen which is basically the same size as their cage and they can escape from it easily.

It's a bit awkward as i'm afraid he go searching around my room and looking at my underwear or something he says he won't what do you think?? should i lock my room and put them all in the kitchen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You need to say what county you are in at least so anyone in your area can offer to mind them. Do be careful who you get to mind them though.
    How long are you going for 182 for one week for example for one week it a bit much but if it's for two weeks it's reasonable enough ie if you are paying someone who really knows what they are doing.

If it's for a week then if you feel the pigs would be safer in their cage for the week they will be fine as long as whoever is minding them cleans them out very regularly.

Advertisement