Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT BB keeps dropping

Options
  • 02-09-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've got bb with BT and a number of times each day it drops for maybe a couple of mins and then comes back. It's becoming a pain in the bum. Even turning it on first thing in the morning and it might drop within 5 mins.

I'm loath to contact BT as they'll just trot out the usual execuses.

Any ideas what might be causing this ? Could it be a router issue (voyager 2110) and would replacing it with a linksys or whatever solve it. I've had the router for about 15 months now but it's only in the last few that this intermitent dropping is becoming more regular.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Could it be a router issue (voyager 2110)

Yes it is change to a new router. It's a known issue with that router.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Pyro Boy wrote: »

Thanks Pyro Boy.

Any suggestions on what a good replacement is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

There is only a reconnection issue with ADSL2+ lines (which doesn't apply to ADSL lines).

Can we see your line statistics please? It might be something internal causing the issue.

http://192.168.1.1/ > Advanced > Advanced (in the middle) > Status > Broadband Line.

Depends on what you need if it's just a straight replacement you can get the Netgear DG834G (I have this one and it works great) http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WirelessGRouters/DG834G.aspx
    There is only a reconnection issue with ADSL2+ lines (which doesn't apply to ADSL lines).

Sorry didn't realise this just not a fan of that router had so many problems with it. IMO they should scrap it

cpu-dude wrote: »

Can we see your line statistics please? It might be something internal causing the issue.

http://192.168.1.1/ > Advanced > Advanced (in the middle) > Status > Broadband Line.

I know the stats in the area are fairly rubbish. A neighbour thinks we're on an old exchange and has similar readings.

Line Rate 2400 Kbps (DOWN) 384 (UP)
    Noise Margin 10.5 (DOWN) 13 (UP)
    Line Attn 56 (DOWN) 31.5 (UP)
    Output power 2.1 (DOWN) 16.6 (UP)

Slow speeds I can put up with but the constant disconnecting is driving me nuts. I wouldn't mind if it was a free service but it's not.

• Advertisement

Salty Dog wrote: »
    I know the stats in the area are fairly rubbish. A neighbour thinks we're on an old exchange and has similar readings.

Line Rate 2400 Kbps (DOWN) 384 (UP)
    Noise Margin 10.5 (DOWN) 13 (UP)
    Line Attn 56 (DOWN) 31.5 (UP)
    Output power 2.1 (DOWN) 16.6 (UP)

Slow speeds I can put up with but the constant disconnecting is driving me nuts. I wouldn't mind if it was a free service but it's not.
    Instantly we can see your problem. With an attenuation of 56, your line can't handle 3MB (thus why its syncing at 2400 instead of 3072). Ring BT and ask them to drop your profile to 2MB and this will stabilise your line and improve performance and speed (because it's not trying to reconnect all the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

I've been using this router for the past 12 mths and it never drops connection

before changing the router check the following:

1 - is the dsl light going off at the time you lose connection?

if so - check your cabling / filters etc

2 - is it onlythe internet light going off?

check the line stats
    possibly a low snr causing the router to stay in sync butt drop the connection

Sorry don't change the router check to see if you can fix it first.

Instantly we can see your problem. With an attenuation of 56, your line can't handle 3MB (thus why its syncing at 2400 instead of 3072). Ring BT and ask them to drop your profile to 2MB and this will stabilise your line and improve performance and speed (because it's not trying to reconnect all the time).

I may be wrong in this but using speedtest I've seen values of around 2.7-2.8.

Stupid question but is it possible to limit it on the router itself ? The area was on 2mb until BT increased the line speed around this time last yr but it's only in the last few months that it's up and down like a yo yo

I may be wrong in this but using speedtest I've seen values of around 2.7-2.8.

Stupid question but is it possible to limit it on the router itself ? The area was on 2mb until BT increased the line speed around this time last yr but it's only in the last few months that it's up and down like a yo yo
    What have you changed in your house? And new phones, Sky, faxes, monitored alarms?

If every device isn't filtered or your using an extension cable, you can easily get a reduced sync.

Remove everything off your line and connect it at your main point (usually in the hall) and paste up your line stats then. Hopefully you don't have Sky hard wired into your socket (the engineers have a tendency of dong that).

• Advertisement

What have you changed in your house? And new phones, Sky, faxes, monitored alarms?

If every device isn't filtered or your using an extension cable, you can easily get a reduced sync.

Remove everything off your line and connect it at your main point (usually in the hall) and paste up your line stats then. Hopefully you don't have Sky hard wired into your socket (the engineers have a tendency of dong that).

I moved the router to the master socket a few weeks ago to check the stats and the line attn figures were the same. There's nothing that's changed other than upgrading sky to sky+ and it's not connected to the phone line. No idea if Mr Sky did anything with the phone socket as I wasn't there at the time.

Back to dialup :) !!

I moved the router to the master socket a few weeks ago to check the stats and the line attn figures were the same. There's nothing that's changed other than upgrading sky to sky+ and it's not connected to the phone line. No idea if Mr Sky did anything with the phone socket as I wasn't there at the time.

Back to dialup :) !!
    Well with those figures, it really looks like your line can't handle that speed. Dropping to 2Mb will be a huge I help I assure you.

Well with those figures, it really looks like your line can't handle that speed. Dropping to 2Mb will be a huge I help I assure you.

Will get onto BT so. Was just hoping that I could've avoided the pain of dealing with their "support" service.

Thanks a million for the help.

Will get onto BT so. Was just hoping that I could've avoided the pain of dealing with their "support" service.

Thanks a million for the help.
    No problem. By the way, you said the attn figures were the same - that's expected (it's the measure of distance from your exchange), was the line rate any different (on the downstream)?

No problem. By the way, you said the attn figures were the same - that's expected (it's the measure of distance from your exchange), was the line rate any different (on the downstream)?

That I can't remember. I'll move the router this evening when I get home and check the figures and send them on. I only checked the line attn & noise values as I was told that those were the key ones.

That I can't remember. I'll move the router this evening when I get home and check the figures and send them on. I only checked the line attn & noise values as I was told that those were the key ones.
    Noise margin more so that attenuation but your sync should be 3072 anyway.

Noise margin more so that attenuation but your sync should be 3072 anyway.

Checked the line stats and it seems to fluctuate between 2432 & 3072 at either the master socket or an extension socket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Looks like you need to downgrade from 3MB to 2MB, your Router not holding 3MB/3072.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

I'm having the exact same problem with my modem.

Im using a Voyage 2110 and it drops sometimes 3-4 times a day then go a couple of days before going.Been onto BT at least 10+ times over it and the same excuse comes out of them about my cabling and phone line when they checked the line and everything was grand. Sent a replacement router a few times and still the same. And I've recently gotten about 2MB from speedtest by cable but about 12MB on wireless(On 12MB line).

Line Rate 14552 Kbps 1019 Kbps spacer.gifspacer.gif
    Noise Margin
    4.6 dB 7.8 dB spacer.gifspacer.gif
    Line Attenuation
    32.5 dB 13.9 dB

I think the boxes they supply are just s**t tbh as I did have a modem before that and it was grand and they sent me that one then but I noticed when they upgraded their lines last year that the box started screwing up. So it could be their lines :mad:.

Just try a replacement modem and see what happens. 99.99% chance its a problem with your box :P

Oh and if your line seems to be on about 2-3mb on a 7mb higher connection then one of the filters is wrong, I had that problem and one of the filters was fitted wrong and also u got sky just like I did and the guy who installed it, put the filter in the wrong place and dropped my connection to about 2-3mb at the time until I changed around the filter sockets

/

Oh and if your line seems to be on about 2-3mb on a 7mb higher connection then one of the filters is wrong, I had that problem and one of the filters was fitted wrong and also u got sky just like I did and the guy who installed it, put the filter in the wrong place and dropped my connection to about 2-3mb at the time until I changed around the filter sockets

sky box isn't connected to the phone line. In terms of filters there's one on the main socket for the phone and a second filter on another socket connected to the router. No other connections.

• Advertisement
Advertisement