Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling on Asphalt

Options
  • 02-09-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've a asphalt balcony which i'd like to tile.Has anyone any experience of tiling on asphalt. I contacted the contractor who installed the asphalt who suggested that i lay tiles on a sand/cement base. Any tiler that i spoken to are reluctant to tile on sand/cement as it may crack easily.I only have 40mm depth (including tile) to work with.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

how big is balcony, which direction does it face, as in how much direct sunlight a day, i know it is Ireland but that was not a joke, any bubbling on a (hot) day, is asphalt on timber or concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Hi Skingtile,
    Balcony is about 20m2 (L shape), mainly east west facing, only about 14m2 exposed late evening to direct sunlight(2 hours max). No bubbling, no obvious softing of the asphalt on hot days. I asume its flooring grade asphalt. When BBQ was left on asphalt over several hot days left slight imprint of legs approx.1-2mm.Asphalt laid on sand cement screed on precast concrete slabs .

Asphalt contractor was concerned that tile adhesive would adversely affect the asphalt causing it to leak.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

you have a lovely balcony, mad jealous, sound like you got a good job done there, cant see any problems,done 1000s like same, when buying tiles be sure to stipulate laying on asphalt, FLEXI adhesive a must though over the spec also recommend a flexi additive with some added to the grout

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Hi Skingtile,
    Thanks for the compliments and advice, :D !
    The tiles we were going to use are specific outdoor tiles, but we didn't specify that they were to be laid on asphalt.

I just need to check out adhesives that are flexibile, usable out doors and are not going to effect the asphalt.

Alas the only thing we really need is the weather to enjoy the balcony.:p

Advertisement