Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

la senza rip off

Options
  • 02-09-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I was shopping in a rush last week and bought some underwear in la senza. It was quite expensive, which I thought was fair enough until I got it home and realised that the sterling price was £25 and the euro price was €35......

never again!!!!!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sigh. When you take currency and vat into the equation, thats feck all difference. I see no rip off at all.

Your title did create such an image in my warped little brain though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

jclare56 wrote: »
    I was shopping in a rush last week and bought some underwear in la senza. It was quite expensive, which I thought was fair enough until I got it home and realised that the sterling price was £25 and the euro price was €35......

never again!!!!!

They're certainly not the worst. If it was Debenhams the price would be €39!

Whilst Denenhams take the absolute piss when charging Irish people, La Senza are not too bad. (from what i see of the items mrs darc buys). The odd item may show £15 / €25 but £35 = €45 on other items.

Don't forget the added costs of vat (extra 6.5%), rent/rates (30% higher on average) & Wages (average 30% higher than UK) (Compare the salary you get for your job with an equivalent person in the UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

never again!!!!!

"Never again" what exactly? never again buy something you think is at a "fair enough" price?

Or investigate the prices of products in other countries after you have already considered something to be a "fair enough".

If the sterling tag had said £55 would you be happy with it still?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

never again!!!!!

What would you consider to be a fair Euro price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

By today's conversion rate £25 = €28.56.

Adding in what other people have already said: rent, wages, utilities, VAT difference, import of the products/transport, security, pricing, security tagging, advertising, etc, etc, etc....

€6.50 extra isn't that much more in the grand scheme of things for the product. Especially considering how much other shops seem to add on to various products, especially in the computer components market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I was looking at a top in Wallis that was £25 sterling and €49!!! :eek::eek:
    I thought that was outrageous

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was looking at a top in Wallis that was £25 sterling and €49!!! :eek::eek:
    I thought that was outrageous
    Thats a much better example of a distributor taking the mick. Hope you didnt buy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Sterling based companies are subject to foreign currency fluctuations between Sterling and Euro. They must factor the foreign exchange risk involved in operating in another currency when calculating prices.

Sterling has fluctuated a lot over the last few months. In June the rate was 0.843 which gives a basic value of 31.33 inc the change in VAT between ROI and UK. When you add on the increased costs involved in running a business here, 35euro is actually a pretty good price.

Advertisement