Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord won't return my bond

Options
  • 02-09-2009 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My landlord won't return my bond.

I rented a room through a private landlord for 13 months, I gave the requried 4 weeks notice and was told that my bond will be put in my account when I left.

I have email regularly requesting my bond back over the past 5 months. I did not sign a contract of any sorts and I am led to believe that my landlord was doing things illeagilly - not acknowledging the rent she received etc.

She was and as far as I know living abroad, I myself am no longer in Dublin either.

Do you think there is any chance of me receiving my bond back? If so how?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By bond, do you mean your deposit?

I suggest you get onto to Threshold: http://www.threshold.ie . They deal with this kind of shenanigans on a regular basis.

I hope you were doing everything through a bank account and not through cash in hand by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd say you have no chance if there's no lease agreement signed by both parties. How will you demonstrate that you were a tenant, or that you paid any rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helpmeout

By bond I do mean deposit. All rent was paid into a bank account in the landlords name and I also have various emails etc. That state i was a tenant there.

Thanks for the advice will try Threshold.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

helpmeout wrote: »

unless you have a reciept proving you paid a deposit dont waste your time and given you didnt have a written rental agreement the odds are you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

helpmeout wrote: »
    By bond I do mean deposit. All rent was paid into a bank account in the landlords name and I also have various emails etc. That state i was a tenant there.

You might have another problem, you mention the property is living aboard, if this was the case, you were required to dedute a withholding tax from the rent and give it to government.

You might be liable for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement