Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker spaniel pup

Options
  • 02-09-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi Im looking for male cocker spaniel pup in cork area.

Was reading wikipedia about them what is this "rage syndrome"??:eek:
    Is it common??
    Anyone know about them? would they be a good familly pet??
    Any info would be great!
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

"Rage syndrome" only appears to affect the solid colour cockers as far as I know. We've a black & white six month old cocker and he's a great dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I have 2 blue roan cocker spaniels. One is a male 6 year old and the second one is a female 1 year old. Got both as pups. Very friendly dogs, loyal, great companions, and very easy to train. My 2 are taken for walks nearly every day but effectively they are house dogs i.e. they sleep in the utility room at night and during the day they follow me around the house!

I have heard of the 'rage syndrome' but don't know much about it. As far as I know it doesn't effect blue roans as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Just found this link:-

http://members.lycos.co.uk/ragesyndromeinfo/whatisrage.htm

Thought the excerpts below were interesting: rage syndrome affects other breeds besides cockers & that in cockers its the red/gold cockers that have the greater chance of getting it but its very rare.
    Is it true that only Red & Gold Cocker Spaniels suffer from Rage Syndrome?

Studies have shown that red/gold Cockers are more likely to suffer from Rage Syndrome compared to particoloured Cockers, but it is important to state that cases are rare and most reds/goldens live out normal, happy lives as family pets with no temperament problems at all. Temperament and behaviour problems happen in all breeds of dogs & behaviour can be influenced by many factors, not only genetics but also rearing, training & general health. Poor temperaments (not necessarily Rage-related) are occasionally seen in all colours,due to the fact that the Cocker Spaniel is a very popular breed and sadly, not all puppies come from knowledgeable, reputable breeders. It is also true to say that some owners make mistakes in training their dogs which can result in temperament problems. Please see our Breeder Advice section for more information about REPUTABLE BREEDERS & our Puppy Training section for advice on training.

What other breeds are known to suffer from Rage Syndrome?

This problem has also been reported in American Cocker Spaniels, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Dobermanns, English Bull Terriers, English Springer Spaniels, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Pyrenean Mountain Dogs and St. Bernards. Again, the number of affected animals is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

elainee wrote: »
    Hi Im looking for male cocker spaniel pup in cork area.

Was reading wikipedia about them what is this "rage syndrome"??:eek:
    Is it common??
    Anyone know about them? would they be a good familly pet??
    Any info would be great!
    Thanks in advance:)

I have an 11 month old blue roan cocker. We have a baby on the way and I'm not in the slightest bit worried because she is great around our newphews/nieces. Even a friend commented how gentle the dog is around kids.

Blue Roans are meant to make the best pets as they are the gentlest of the breed. I don't know if its true of all full colour cockers but I've heard golden cockers could be cranky. It does depend on the dog and how its raised if you ask me though. I'm sure someone will be quick to tell me they have a golden cocker and its fine. If your pup is around kids from 8 weeks, it'll be used to them so there shouldn't be problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Best of luck, Lemlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

Thanks for all your comments.

If anyone hears of cockers for sale please let me know!

Thanks;)

Advertisement