Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys School Donnybrook - 3 piece suits?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Nothing like a bit of class outrage. I mean, how dare anybody send their child to a private school.

most the schools around d4 are 3 piece suit schools. i went to conleths, there was a 3 piece suit option, not many wore it, was mainly the junior school wearing it, john scottus in general wore it alot more

You obviously don't know what a 3 piece suit means.

Tie and blazer is not a 3 piece suit. I suggest you take tailoring 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Well statistics don't lie my friend and most of those guys will end up in suits anyway, so they might aswell get used to being better that guys running around in tracksuits etc

Ye they more than likely will end up in suits, but deliberately setting them apart to think they're better than others simply because of a private education will turn them into a arrogant snobby ****.

RMD wrote: »
    Ye they more than likely will end up in suits, but deliberately setting them apart to think they're better than others simply because of a private education will turn them into a arrogant snobby ****.

So dressing well makes you an "arrogant snobby" whatever?

What about people who "deliberately set themselves apart" by wearing €150 runners, Lacoste tracksuits and sport 18ct gold sovereigns?

What do you propose children wear to school? A State standard uniform (trousers for both boys and girls, of course) with tri-colour armband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    So dressing well makes you an "arrogant snobby" whatever?

What about people who "deliberately set themselves apart" by wearing €150 runners, Lacoste tracksuits and sport 18ct gold sovereigns?

What do you propose children wear to school? A State standard uniform (trousers for both boys and girls, of course) with tri-colour armband?

well said , you seem to be a man of my heart;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lads, not everyone wants to send their kid to a Catholic school.

There is a substantial number of us who aren't Catholic. I'm an atheist, my family isn't Catholic either. I don't want my kids going to a Catholic school. There was no free alternative, so I sent him to a fee-paying school. What's your gripe??

Until state schools exist in every region, fee-paying schools will exist.

Besides, the fee-paying schools have diverse ethoses. Some are Church of Ireland (they're not actually Protestant you know), some are non-denominational, some are Muslim or Jewish or big into rugby or music or classics - parents can then chose what will suit their child and the family ethos.

Wait till you have to decide where your kids will go to school - and find the local schools are not what you'd like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its John Scottus. Its a meh school in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

a meh school?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

According to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055425380 John Scottus is run by a cult organisation

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

You obviously don't know what a 3 piece suit means.

Tie and blazer is not a 3 piece suit. I suggest you take tailoring 101.

for the sake of the thread title and what most have referred to here, its a 3 piece

• Advertisement

for the sake of the thread title and what most have referred to here, its a 3 piece

It's not a 3 piece suit considering the proper semantics of the phrase. If you wish to try to generate momentum to change the meaning, by all means, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

And yes, I was a student at John Scottus, but don't get me started on that place.?
    According to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055425380 John Scottus is run by a cult organisation

Maybe velvets-rule can get started on that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm not sure that the majority's ignorance of the actual meaning is any justification for trying to declare the meaning now changed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Nevore wrote: »
    I'm not sure that the majority's ignorance of the actual meaning is any justification for trying to declare the meaning now changed.

i said for 'sake' of the thread... jeez

I just don't see what end allowing people to labour under a misconception serves. :confused:

Nevore wrote: »

Interesting that you observe the majority to be ignorant. Perhaps this is the case from your perspective. I'd better watch out next time I'm on Wikipedia.

I'm not trying to declare anything. When one uses words, it is reasonable to assume they are being used according to their definition and that the semantic role is clear from the context.

To describe the John Scottus uniform as a "three piece suit" is ridiculous. Loose use of language only leads to confusion.

I'm not trying to declare anything. When one uses words, it is reasonable to assume they are being used according to their definition and that the semantic role is clear from the context.
    Agreed.
    To describe the John Scottus uniform as a "three piece suit" is ridiculous. Loose use of language only leads to confusion.
    Agreed...
    You seem to think that I think the John Scottus uniform is a three piece? Would you like to read the thread again and perhaps we'll start over.

Thanks for ruining the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 22,319 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Whereas your contributions did - what?
    John Scottus brainwash the children with religious fundamentalism don't they?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

donaghs wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of differing opinions on the place. Anyone who went there care to explain what the place is about?

I went there, What you want to know?

I wasn't brainwashed when i went there, When i left i hated the place, but looking back, it was more me being harsh on the place

The School is Partly Funded by the SPES, However its a normal school, does normal subjects, and Normal Teachers

The school offers Optional Subjects (Greek, Sanskrit, Latin), Which are encouraged. But your not going to be kicked out for not doing them

Admittedly, its been nearly 7 years since i left, But the Main Man of the school, is a Dr Telford, who would always be Interested in talking to anyone about the school, if you were interested.
    as for 3 piece suits thing, I'll clarify that now

When you start in Morhampton road, your meant to wear a Blazer, Grey trousers and Blue shirt. The Grey Jumper is optional, As is the blazer. (one or the other, on a cold morning, i (and many others) wore both

When your in 5th year. the uniform changes to a blazer and Shirt and tie (of your own choice)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

fryup wrote: »
    ah come on now, any school that has a 3 peice suit as a uniform has got to be posh proddy

posh proddy:rolleyes: and how about the likes of Blackrock College is that not posh catholic:cool:

esel wrote: »
    Whereas your contributions did - what?

I opened eyes to the the abnormal nature of the school (meditation twice a day:confused:).

Micheal's college

Micheal's college turns out the creme da la creme of lawyers, entrepreneurs and sports people

Whatever you say :rolleyes:

D.R cowboy wrote:
    Micheal's college turns out the creme da la creme of lawyers, entrepreneurs and sports people

You have said you went to Blackrock College many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I opened eyes to the the abnormal nature of the school (meditation twice a day:confused:).

What is wrong with meditation???

I went to the local convent school and during retreats and some religion classes we did meditation.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Levitation....a la Exorcist :-)

unknown13 wrote: »

Sorry is the dyslexic person talking to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

He comes out with a steady stream of trolling, take no heed.

I went to a private school too, DR Cowboy, before you get any ideas about jealousy/inferiority/skangeriness/etc. etc.

Sorry is the dyslexic person talking to me :rolleyes:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BTW, I do have a learning condition.

• Advertisement

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BTW, I do have a learning condition.

whats that??
    An excuse for being stupid ?? :rolleyes: