Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remove screw from wall

Options
  • 02-09-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

hey

what do you do if you want to remove a screw from the wall that the head is worn?

it was a phillips head, but the X of the head is totally mangled. it's flush to the wall, so there's damn all access to get a hacksaw to it. it looks like it's been in for years.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Hammer it in using a punch and fill the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

as above or if you need the same hole a steel drill bit of suitable size and drill it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Hammer it in using a punch and fill the hole.

cool, thanks.

it's not needed, so i'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

i only use the above as a last resort I would buy a stud remover and take it out that way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Drill the head with a metal drill that is just a little smaller than the mangled head, it will come off and you can fill the small hole left with polyfilla.
    I would like to see someone hammering a screw in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Drill the head with a metal drill that is just a little smaller than the mangled head, it will come off and you can fill the small hole left with polyfilla.

You wouldn't hammer it in all the way in obviously. Just enough so that you can fill over it. A quarter centimeter would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Grip the head using a vice grips (you may have to make a hole in the plaster around the screw to get a decent grip) and unscrew it. Fill on completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

CJhaughey wrote: »

I imagine it would be possible to get it a bit of the way in because screws going into brick use a rawl plug so it would just be a matter of banging it in a bit more or worse case you could drill a hole beside the screw then bang the head of the screw over so it either breaks off or bends.

Advertisement