Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an Xbox 360 - Best route?

• 02-09-2009 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks - looking for some tips and advice from the Experts on here :)

- I am going to buy an Xbox 360 ASAP and though I would usually be quite happy to buy second hand from Adverts.ie or wherever, I am worried about the whole RROD issue.

So what should I do? I'm also bearing in mind the recent pricing changes for the various models and was wondering if they are fully settled yet? And what's the sweet-spot pricewise between the various available specs etc.

- Ideally I'd like to get a good value package with a few games fired into the mix etc. - Is there any of the retailers doing any decent bundles as of now?

Main interest at the minute is in COD4, Halo 3, Orange Box and Assassin's Creed 2 on release.

Any help, advice or opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭mckildare

Hey Raiser,

I was in the same mindset as you until a couple of weeks ago. Dying to get an xbox to play Halo 3, COD4 etc so I was on adverts 24/7.
    Result: Bought a brand new 60gig premium off a chap who had it since January and never even opened it (his kid preferred the PS3 :rolleyes:). Standard console package for 160. Then I picked up Halo 3 and GTA4 off a lad that lives near me for 25. Both games are just like new.

I was considering holding out until the new prices etc come out but I thought this was a good buy for 185 in total. I have peace of mind that the console wasnt used before me (still all in its packaging etc) and the 3 year warranty will last until January 2012. If it RRODs on me fingers crossed I get a new Jasper version then and I'm set for another while :pac:

My advice is to buy new. I've seen a few more 'unwanted gifts' consoles on adverts and gumtree and at least one was the same price as I got mine for. If that fails, then a shop is your only choice but at least you have a comeback in either case (as long as an unwanted gift one comes with a receipt and the dates are good, check the serial no to that on the receipt too!). That was the main thing I was worried about but now I'm happy out :)

Im not an expert now so maybe leave my advice until last :)

Good luck hunting!
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks for taking the time to reply - and in so much detail too - much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Hey,
    Well I got an Xbox off adverts about 2 years ago (it had been used but not that much), and it did RROD, thankfully MS had brought out the 3 year warranty on it, but I did have some trouble getting them to fix it as the original owner had registered it in his name. So there was a little bit of trouble there, but thankfully I got it fixed, but for peace of mind I got myself the 60gig not long after it came out and sold off my adverts one to a mate, (he knew the history but was happy enough to take it)

Personally I think that the price is coming down a good bit, the elite is going to be the same price as the pro so I would prob just hang on and get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭j14

Hi Raiser,

Just a heads up on a good deal I saw yesterday in HMV.

Brand new Elite 120gb Hard Drive + Batman Arkham Asylum (seen by many as the game of the year so far) for €245.

That is a steal.

The bigger hard-drive will become essential over the next year what with full game downloads becoming available over xbox live and also add on packs like Grand Theft Auto: The lost and the damned & The ballad of gay Tony. Not to mention being able to install your own games onto the hard drive so the console runs nearly silently.

All in all I'd go for the Elite.

Also be aware there are rumours of a new "Super" Elite coming out in a few weeks. It will have a 250gb hard drive but for the moment it is just a very strong rumour.

J.

the-ging wrote:
    Personally I think that the price is coming down a good bit, the elite is going to be the same price as the pro so I would prob just hang on and get that.

Thanks for the advice - I had thought that the last price revision before Christmas was last Friday? Is this going to change again?
    j14 wrote: »
    Hi Raiser,

Just a heads up on a good deal I saw yesterday in HMV.

Brand new Elite 120gb Hard Drive + Batman Arkham Asylum (seen by many as the game of the year so far) for €245.

That is a steal.

The bigger hard-drive will become essential over the next year what with full game downloads becoming available over xbox live and also add on packs like Grand Theft Auto: The lost and the damned & The ballad of gay Tony. Not to mention being able to install your own games onto the hard drive so the console runs nearly silently.

All in all I'd go for the Elite.

Also be aware there are rumours of a new "Super" Elite coming out in a few weeks. It will have a 250gb hard drive but for the moment it is just a very strong rumour.

J.

Thanks! Will drop into HMV tomorrow and quiz them......

:) Why is it that every time you make up your mind to buy something there's always the new and improved model just around the corner!!!!

- I'm probably going to show my ignorance on the Xbox front here..... and show my PC Gamer roots.... But is there a route where you can buy a baseline Xbox on a budget and then pick up a cheap/generic 250GB drive on Ebay later on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just buy a new one, i got a used 360 from cnutstop and it broke within half an hour, at least if you buy a new one it might be a jasper model :)

j14 wrote: »
    <Snip>Also be aware there are rumours of a new "Super" Elite coming out in a few weeks. It will have a 250gb hard drive but for the moment it is just a very strong rumour.

J.

Seems that the Germans have been marketing the new Super Elite with the sort of keenness that made them unable to resist annexing Poland in September 1939 :p

Advertisement