Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specific Parking Question:

• 02-09-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

I will have learned to drive by the skin of my teeth in time for starting college and, like all new drivers, parking is still a worry for me, particularly not being able to get out of an awkward spot.

I will be on the South campus mostly. Where would you suggest a nervous driver should park?

Thank you!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

sadie06 wrote: »
    I will have learned to drive by the skin of my teeth in time for starting college and, like all new drivers, parking is still a worry for me, particularly not being able to get out of an awkward spot.

I will be on the South campus mostly. Where would you suggest a nervous driver should park?

Thank you!:)

Generally when it comes to parking on campus you'll be lucky to find a parking spot and will have to make do with what you find. Sorry.
    Just take your time, look all around, reverse slowly, and keep checking all your mirrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Parking should not be much of a concern for you, you should be more concerned about people parking beside/around you. Generally, parking becomes a mess on the North campus, people up on paths, grass, etc.

If you are nervous, keep to the hard shoulder on the Kilcock road. You will soon get used to parking there anyway since finding a place on the campus becomes nearly impossible after 10am. You can simply line your car up behind the queue of cars parked on the hard shoulder, so no parallel parking malarky or worry about hitting other cars on campus.

I am sure other nay-sayers will tell you not to do this since the Guards randomly ticket you, etc, but I did it for a whole year and never got a warning nor heard of anyone who did. The Garda story is just scare tactics, imo.

Good luck and enjoy your time in NUI Maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Thank you both for the replies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Liber8or wrote: »
    I am sure other nay-sayers will tell you not to do this since the Guards randomly ticket you, etc, but I did it for a whole year and never got a warning nor heard of anyone who did. The Garda story is just scare tactics, imo.

When I was driving in one time last year I saw the guards were ticketing the cars. Only ever saw it once but it did happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Maynooth is not the place to be trying to park for a nervous driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Genuinely, that above comment so true.. Went up yesterday, to have a galk, dear god the near misses I had.. If your not local, watch the bumps in Sallins, It was rainy and trafficy and I didn't spot um. Keep in mind, and the Bridges.. ahh, as regards parking, near a clue, I just parked outside the SU office, no one said anything, but it wasn't busy at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If you want to avoid the risk of being clamped, stick to the car parks. I parked outside the Callan Building on a ramp to the side (opposite the SU) for about an hour - no other parking spots anywhere on campus. The ramp was superwide, could have gotten another car on it so I wasn't obstructing anybody - clamped - €80 please and thank you :(

If you're on the South Campus mostly I would recommend behind St Patrick's College. You go in the old campus gates, take the right, follow the road around until it forks (just after a left turn) and take the left fork, pass by the Aula Maxima (stop, give way to pedestrian traffic), up the side of the Chapel and around the back of St Patrick's college. There are loads of parking spots here and having worked on that part of campus for over a year I can say there was maybe 3 days when it was packed, usually when there was an event on.

Take the car to 'Nooth late in the evening on a Friday, it'll be easy to drive around then and get to know the college and roads :)

Advertisement