Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Blue Breed

Options
  • 02-09-2009 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these dogs to maybe help me understand their nature. My sister adopted a Kerry Blue a month or so ago. He's 4 years old, came with all his bed and toys so I presume came from a loving family but she knows nothing of his background before she got him.

Basically twice now he has been very seriously aggressive with other male dogs. I know dogs can fight, and some can be aggressive but from one of these incidents he seems to have this lock jaw thing where there was about 4 people on him trying to prise his jaws apart and hitting him and there seemed to be no way to make him let go. Both of these incidents have been with other dogs, not people. But it kind of worries me that twice he has attacked dogs without so much as a growl to warn or anything. Obviously she's gotten a muzzle for him and is about to begin one on one obedience classes.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me from their own personal experience if this behaviour is common with the breed. Any research on the internet seems to suggest that it's part of their nature but they're good with people but I'd just love to know from someone that's maybe dealt with the situation before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hi Leeby,

I would not have that much experience with these dogs, do know one fella when I was much younger who had them and he actually showed them. I do know that they can have a tendancy to be pretty hot headed at times with other dogs, can be quite aggressive dominant when in a group of dogs.

This would be a generalisation on the breed and I ahve never owned one of these dogs myself. You mentioned your sister adopted him, maybe there is a history with hinm that she is not aware of?

Also, its a male, is he neutered? If not it might explain to some of the aggression. They tend top be a lot more territorial when not neutered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

All breeds have certain traits that's why they're bred to be breeds.
    Kerrys can be a bit tricky at times, some are as sweet as pie others can be grumpy towards other pooches. She's going the right way though proper humane training will help a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Yeah he's neutered.

I'm a little bit worried about background aswell. Since he came with toys and bed and all, I presume he came from a loving home rather than having to be rescued from any sort of abuse or neglect. But it also makes me think that something may have happened that forced the previous owner to give up the dog. If it was just a change in circumstances or something then that's fine, but I wonder if maybe there's more to it than that. I don't see why there's been no background info about him at all if he came from a home that cared about him for the last four years. I'm a little worried that there's been an incident that forced them to give him up but the people who were rehoming him didn't want to tell my sister.

Advertisement