Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor attacked in Limerick Courthouse!

Options
  • 02-09-2009 2:52pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There has been a stand-off between Gardai and a notorious criminal gang at Limerick District Court this afternoon after a solicitor apparently came under attack.

It is alleged a senior member of the McCarthy/Dundon gang grabbed the solicitor by the throat and threw him to the ground just outside the doors of the courtroom.

Armed detectives and the Regional Support Unit were called to the scene.

When the court resumed armed Gardai remained posted at the entrance and the solicitor informed the judge he had just been assaulted and was too upset to continue.

The solicitor concerned has been confirmed as John Devane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Live by the sword........................

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

John Devane.

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

this is their chance to give something back to the city they have scourged........

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TimeonmyHands

Read about this on the Irish Independent website....wonder will it make the RTE 6 One News!!!!

Read about this on the Irish Independent website....wonder will it make the RTE 6 One News!!!!

I went straight for breakingnews.ie but nothing on there yet however a reporter is a boardsie so you never know he might see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Hmmmmmm, Devane gets attacked by one of his clients.
    Devane is then too "upset" to face the court
    Hearing is then cancelled.

I wonder who it suited to have the case postponed?

I will believe this when I see him file charges against Mr Dundon.

Disappointed I missed this. I was supposed to be doing a bit of work in the vicinity of the courthouse today but it was postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

karma or an act, i hope he now know how innocent people fell when his clients have a word with him. the legal profession may now realise why people do not give evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The solicitor concerned has been confirmed as John Devane.
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

so who was Devane supposed to represent in court? and who is the fella who got convicted of road trafic offences? and the name of the teenager shot in Weston earlier on?

let's see if we can join the dots...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Berty wrote: »
    I went straight for breakingnews.ie but nothing on there yet however a reporter is a boardsie so you never know he might see this.

Cool. Any one we would have heard of?

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Cool. Any one we would have heard of?

He's a self employed reporter/photographer who sells the stories he gets to first / photographs he gets first to anybody who will pay for them, usually breakingnews.ie

It would be rude to name him though.

Ah some fantastic thinly veiled pressure being putting on Devane over the incident the other day:
    He is appealing to Mr Devane to do the same thing, even though his family paid the ultimate price when his 34-year-old son Roy was murdered
    at Roxboro Shopping Centre on April 9.

"If he has a problem with them, it's there to stay. So what do you do? You go for the protection of the State. "An opportunity has presented
    itself to put to bed allegations against him," Mr Collins said.

"At the end of day he lay with these people, he represented these people. I can't understand why he can't come forward."

Mayor Kevin Kiely said he was "horrified" to hear what had happened
    to the solicitor and echoed Mr Collins' appeal to Mr Devane to do the right thing".

"As Mayor of Limerick I want to say that there is nobody above the law in this town and nobody is untouchable."

He said that if Mr Devane does not make a complaint to gardai, "he will lose all credibility".

Mayor Kiely said that great credit was due to Mr Devane, who went back to school to do his Leaving Cert and trained to be a solicitor. "He and his colleagues are entitled to do their jobs unhindered by criminal gangs."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Ah some fantastic thinly veiled pressure being putting on Devane over the incident the other day:

The State is not in a position to sufficiently protect any individual in Limerick City from these people.

- Though I'm sure they'd all say a couple of choice words at his funeral.

Can John Devnae be barred from practicing law if he refuses to make a complaint?

mike kelly wrote: »
    Can John Devnae be barred from practicing law if he refuses to make a complaint?

If an individual suffers an assault upon their person it is up to them to press charges. If they should they choose not to, then usually there is no case for the attacker to answer and the matter fades away quietly.

In the event that a legal professional should be assaulted in broad daylight by a person known to him in not alone a public place, but also in fact within the walls of a Courtroom where the Laws of our Land are supposedly upheld by his profession, then it raises a lot of practical and ethical questions.

I think that people may be a little bit uncomfortable about the cold and callous comments on this thread so far - but I suppose the fact is that if John Devane was merrily playing Matlock with these Cnuts last week and probably will again next week then perhaps he needs to take stock of his role in the whole Limerick scene.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I presume the Gardai who witnessed it could prosecute this fella for a breach of the peace.

It is an indictable offence after all and i presume this fella has serious convictions already.

Then again, jail is no deterrant to these people.

I am very sorry if my post which was deleted was out of line.

Raiser made me do it.

The mention of John Devane in this article is very interesting. Just how would he have "looked after it"?

Chief--- wrote: »
    I presume the Gardai who witnessed it could prosecute this fella for a breach of the peace.

You mean gardai act on their own initiative? LOL :pac:

I am very sorry if my post which was deleted was out of line.

Raiser made me do it.

I also made Itsdacraic McCarthy-Dundon throttle Johhny Devane in the Courthouse on Wednesday.......

What can I say? - it was a slow day......

The day a Limerick Garda shows some initiative it will be a serious breach of status quo......

• Advertisement

Interesting update to this story in the Limerick Leader

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-solicitor-breaks-silence-over.5624645.jp

If this really is the truth, I guess the Dundons will be looking for a new solicitor. Shouldn't be too hard with all those unemployed solicitors out there.

another interesting article

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

Hmmmmmm, Devane gets attacked by one of his clients.
    Devane is then too "upset" to face the court
    Hearing is then cancelled.

I wonder who it suited to have the case postponed?

I will believe this when I see him file charges against Mr Dundon.

+1

Interesting update to this story in the Limerick Leader

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-solicitor-breaks-silence-over.5624645.jp

If this really is the truth, I guess the Dundons will be looking for a new solicitor. Shouldn't be too hard with all those unemployed solicitors out there.

That is a scandalous statement from Devane. He was basically sent out the Dundons message to the entire county for them, "You make a complaint against us, we get you".

Obviously the Collins murder did this as well and now you have what seems to be their solicitor getting the message out there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

will we now have to put up with the procasternations of mouse o dea and minister for handbags aherne on the national airwaves saying the public should stand up in court and give evidence in similar cases. i bet the silence will be 24 caret now that it is not joe or josophine citizen who is involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Do gardai not do this every day??

Is that not why the district circuit and criminals courts, are overwhelmed with work and why prisons are overcrowded and at breaking point??

The Gardai do alot more than what you see the traffic corps doing on your way to work.

Chief--- wrote: »
    Do gardai not do this every day??

Is that not why the district circuit and criminals courts, are overwhelmed with work and why prisons are overcrowded and at breaking point??

The Gardai do alot more than what you see the traffic corps doing on your way to work.

no they don't. gardai act only on complaints. they do not proactively investigate. in cases of intimidation they do alsolutely nothing and make no effort to collect forensic evidence.

The courts are overwhelmed due to archaic work practices, any modern business would get through the court services workload in a third of the time.

no they don't. gardai act only on complaints. they do not proactively investigate. in cases of intimidation they do alsolutely nothing and make no effort to collect forensic evidence.

The courts are overwhelmed due to archaic work practices, any modern business would get through the court services workload in a third of the time.

Too true unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

This city is a f*cking joke where the good living, tax paying citizens are living in fear of these b*stards.
    I have had to move out of my house in the past few days due to a break in to my house, my car being stolen and being being bombarded by anti social behaviour by the scum that live across the road.

I see "do gooders" going in and out of the house of these vermin sympathising with their hard lives.....
    I've not had the support of one group over the past number of days when my life has basically been turned upside.

Every department I have approached for help and cried my heart out about my situation have passed me from post to pillar.
    A disgrace....

• Advertisement

very sorry to hear that, I hope you can get a new place without too much trouble

Advertisement