Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Firearm changeover

Options
  • 02-09-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Lads, im buying a new 308 but will be leaving in a shotgun for sale, I have filled out the form FCA1 to apply for the new rifle, on that form in section3.4 there is a section on firearm substitution, I have entered the details of my shotgun in that section as I am replacing that firearm with a different one ie: the new rifle.I have also filled out the form FCA2 which cancels my old shotgun licence..does that seem proper?
    In the light that there are no guidelines available any thoughts are welcome:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Your old licence for the shotgun was under the old system

Your new licence will be under the new system.

What you say makes sense and maybe it is correct but I would think that :-

You need to get the old licence cancelled by the cops (possibly form FCA2) and then apply for your new licence at the same time on the new standard FCA1 form.

It does allow for subsitutions in the new process on form FCA1 but there is I believe an assumption that it is to replace one already granted under the new system (hence no need to give Referee details again etc. ).

To do it your way, you would get a 3 year licence without having to adhere to all the new requirements. Not saying this is the wrong thing to do but I'd run it past the FO in case he gets a strip torn off him for doing it this way (not beneficial in the long run)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hey FS243, was onto the Garda Firarms policy myself in relation to a similar matter. What you've done is the right thing. FCA1 is to be filled out with the details of your new firearm (.308 rifle) with section 3.4 to be filled in with the details of your surrendered firearm (shotgun). The FCA2 (with your shtgun details) will cancel your shotgun licence.

Problem is, the fellow i was speaking to (very polite and helpful it must be said) told me that as the old licences and system are now obsolete and the new system is not up and running yet no substitutions will be processed until October at the earliest. He said i can go through the application process (exactly as you've done FS243) but i'll be waiting. Or i can recieve my new licence (when it comes through) and fill in the FCA1 and FCA2 forms and submit them. There will be no fee for the change over in licences and you will not have to fill out the complete FCA1 form only the sections relating to name, address, new firearm details and old firearm details. Its for local records as i was told.

TBH its all a bit confusing when trying to talk about it on the phone, FCA1 this, FCA2 that, fill in section 1, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 of FCA1 etc, etc.

Anyway you're spot on but need to decide whether to submit the substitution or wait till you recieve the new licence then re-apply with the forms filled out as outlined above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ezridax wrote: »
    Hey FS243, was onto the Garda Firarms policy myself in relation to a similar matter. What you've done is the right thing. FCA1 is to be filled out with the details of your new firearm (.308 rifle) with section 3.4 to be filled in with the details of your surrendered firearm (shotgun). The FCA2 (with your shtgun details) will cancel your shotgun licence.

Problem is, the fellow i was speaking to (very polite and helpful it must be said) told me that as the old licences and system are now obsolete and the new system is not up and running yet no substitutions will be processed until October at the earliest. He said i can go through the application process (exactly as you've done FS243) but i'll be waiting. Or i can recieve my new licence (when it comes through) and fill in the FCA1 and FCA2 forms and submit them. There will be no fee for the change over in licences and you will not have to fill out the complete FCA1 form only the sections relating to name, address, new firearm details and old firearm details. Its for local records as i was told.

TBH its all a bit confusing when trying to talk about it on the phone, FCA1 this, FCA2 that, fill in section 1, 2.1, 2.2, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 of FCA1 etc, etc.

Anyway you're spot on but need to decide whether to submit the substitution or wait till you recieve the new licence then re-apply with the forms filled out as outlined above.

Cheers! Ezridax..I have three other firearms which I have filled in the forms fca1 for their re- applications, I think ill just go ahead with the set -up i have now as my thinking was to make my applications all at once substituting the rifle for the shotgun so its starting as I mean to go on if you get me. Thanks;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cheers! Ezridax..

Glad to be of any help. Best of luck and let me know how you get on. I'm going the other route and letting my current re-applications go through then if i still want to change do it later. Has a bit to do with comissioners guidelines yet to be released.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ezridax wrote: »
    Glad to be of any help. Best of luck and let me know how you get on. I'm going the other route and letting my current re-applications go through then if i still want to change do it later. Has a bit to do with comissioners guidelines yet to be released.
    Ill update on this thread after i present them to my FO;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement