Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously Misleading Three Advertising

Options
  • 02-09-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/3-e180-white-mobile-broadband-15gb.htm
    A real alternative to fixed-line broadband, 3's E180 modem offers speeds of up to 7.2Mbps per second. Which means less yawning and table tapping - and more doing. With 87% population coverage you can access 3's Broadband service almost everywhere and take it with you if you are on the move. Web surfing, email, instant messaging, video, internet radio. You can do it all.

This really annoys me. How anyone could call mobile "broadband" a viable alternative to fixed broadband is quite hard to comprehend.

I took to other mobile broadband providers to see if they had more realistic claims. Vodafone's site has a more realistic:
    Our Pay Monthly plan is ideal for checking your email, updating your blog or simply surfing the web at home or on the move

O2 claim:
    No Landline. Now you can have it all without a landline. No need for another service provider. All you need is your O2 mobile for calls and O2 broadband for all your internet needs.
    A little but unrealistic, but it's not nearly as bad.

Meteor seem to be more interested in marketing it's portability and using flash, so by going into "further details" I got this:
    Speed & Coverage
    Meteor's network is 14.4mb/s ready and the Broadband To Go device is capable of speeds of up to 7.2 mb/s. Speeds are subject to coverage and availability of service.
    They do state about coverage and availability of service, but the effects of cell breathing are left out. But since it's in the small print I guess it's much better than 3.

Given that 3 are being paid loads of money to roll out a mobile phone network to provide "broadband", should they not at least advertise realistically? They're the only ones claiming they have an alternative to fixed broadband (Well maybe O2 a little) when in reality they probably have the most over-subscribed 3G network in Ireland!

Advertisement