Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice In Chains - second single from the forthcoming album

• 02-09-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Have seen no mention of the second release from the new album due later this month, so here it is.

I quite like it, it ticks all the right boxes for me for an AIC tune. :)

Du Vall has defo had an influence too as there is a Comes With The Fall vibe in this song too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Played this in Marlay. First ever live showing. Was looking forward to a studio version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Not bad. Only got in AiC recently but I love Dirt. I find the main riff of that song a bit annoying or something, but it's still an ok song. I preferred the second one they played at Metallica.

It's good they still have a very AiC sound in the new material though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

****ing great song....

loved it live. cant wait for this album!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭c_dog

good song but not layne staley good........ still gud to see der still makin gud tunes

c_dog wrote: »
    good song but not layne staley good........ still gud to see der still makin gud tunes

:mad: HATE that attitude..

Its unfair to hold Layne against everything AIC do from now on. He is dead, unfortunate as that is, he is dead, which means that whatever job William does is better than what Layne can do, William having the definite advantage of being alive.

The remaining three members of the original line up, still enjoy making music together and have drafted in an incredible replacement(as I am sure anyone who has caught their last two Irish dates will agree).

I dont think its right to hold Laynes legacy against the band as they move forward. It should be something to celebrate and if anything increase your support for them as they finally move out of the shadow that Layne's substance abuse and subsequent death had cast on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

:mad: HATE that attitude..

Its unfair to hold Layne against everything AIC do from now on. He is dead, unfortunate as that is, he is dead, which means that whatever job William does is better than what Layne can do, William having the definite advantage of being alive.

The remaining three members of the original line up, still enjoy making music together and have drafted in an incredible replacement(as I am sure anyone who has caught their last two Irish dates will agree).

I dont think its right to hold Laynes legacy against the band as they move forward. It should be something to celebrate and if anything increase your support for them as they finally move out of the shadow that Layne's substance abuse and subsequent death had cast on them.

Have to agree with that. The new album can be compared to the old albums, but basing an opinion only on whether or not it sound like layne staley is not fair on AIC.

As DQ said, layne staley is dead so we can never again hear new material with him on it. DuVall is the here and now of AIC vocally, and going by his past efforts with Comes With The Fall, I think he is going to surprise a lot of people. Whilst he can sing in a style very similar to Layne, he defo has a greater range and can be more melodic so that should open up even more doors for the rest of AIC in terms of variety in writing.

Some people I know have compared the change of singer to when Bon Scott died, personally I think that musically the change will be more like when John Bush came in as lead singer for Anthrax.

Bush is technically a better singer than Belladonna and is far more melodic, and as such allowed Anthrax to expand their sound on Sound Of White Noise.

Now I don't expect as big a change as there was between Persistence Of Time and Sound Of White Noise, mainly because although I think DuVall has a greater range than Staley, the difference is not as great as between Belladonna and Bush. But I do expect to hear more in the way of melody whilst retaining the sludge feel that AIC often had.

The two singles have pointed towards a good album, one that is very much an AIC album, as have the live performances, and AIC seem prepared to let the music do their talking in the run up to the release, unlike say Metallica in the run up to Death Magnetic who were in front of interviewers any chance they got (Mostly Lars of course :)) trying to say that it was old school, the best they have done in years, and basically trying to influence opinions before the album was even heard.

Case in point would have been the amount of people saying that Death Magnetic was going to be amazing even before they heard it.

AIC are back and I for one am very happy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

I stopped listening after Layne Stayley died. Heard them recently and their vocalist is trying too hard to sing like Layne, doesnt fit in at all in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I hate this "duval is sh1t". LAYNE STALEY IS DEAD!!! jebus. does brian johnson get as much sh1te?

new single is great, can't wait for the album. f**k the begrudgers.

European dates in November too but no Ireland or UK yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

seachto7 wrote: »
    I hate this "duval is sh1t". LAYNE STALEY IS DEAD!!! jebus. does brian johnson get as much sh1te?

He got quite a lot at the time, but the lack of the internet and instant information meant no hate for him on web forums etc.

Mind you, a little album called Back In Black kinda got most of the naysayers onside ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I have to agree they are still making good tunes and putting on a great show, can't wait to hear the full album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Loved a looking in view, not too gone on this one. Il wait for the album to come out before i judge it me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

UK dates due on Monday - so here's hopin, only problem will be gettin a ticket :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well I think both songs are great, and thats all that matters, I dont care whos singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

No bloody Irish date, typical!

November 12 ‘09 Glasgow, UK Barrowland
    November 13 ‘09 Birmingham, UK Academy
    November 14 ‘09 Manchester, UK Academy
    November 16 ‘09 London, UK The Forum
    November 17 ‘09 London, UK The Forum
    November 19 ‘09 Tilburg, HOL 013
    November 20 ‘09 Antwerp, BEL Trix Zaal
    November 21 ‘09 Weisbaden, GER Schlachthof
    November 23 ‘09 Dortmund, GER FZW
    November 24 ‘09 Prague, CZE Lucerna
    November 25 ‘09 Warsaw, POL Stodola
    November 27 ‘09 Budapest, HUN Petofi Csarnok
    November 29 ‘09 Vienna, AUT Gasometer
    November 30 ‘09 Munich, GER Thearterfabrick
    December 2 ‘09 Milan, ITA Alcatraz
    December 3 ‘09 Fribourg, SWI Fri-son
    December 4 ‘09 Paris, FRA Bataclan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, and after the reception they got the last 2 times here. stoopid really.

that sucks...

really wanna see them doing their own show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah, and after the reception they got the last 2 times here. stoopid really.

Completely agree. There'd be plenty of people to justify a gig here. I'm sure they'd get a decent crowd in the Point. Maybe they'll do a show here at some point during the tour. I'd love to see them at their own gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

New album leaked. It's pretty fookin fantastic. William and Jerry trade lead vocals. Acid Bubble (a DuVall song) and When The Sun Rose Again are my current favourites and the title track is fairly heart rendering.

Anyone doubting William's ability to write a song or sing or play guitar go pick up the Comes With The Fall albums especially Beyond The Last Light. It's probably my favourite album ever.

Also, got tickets to Manchester, flights and accomodation for 85 snots. Nice one!

whoa whoa whoa.....where!? 85?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Got the tickets on pre sale, 25 or so I think. The flights with Ryanair were 20. The accomodation for the night is 40 I think

• Advertisement

i think il be doing the same. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Maqnus

Smell of want in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

New album sounds pretty great - standout songs so far(apart from Check my Brain and ALIV) are Your Decision, the title track, When the Sun Rose Again, Last of My Kind, and Private Hell. It seems to be a pretty consistent batch of songs. Layne is obviously sorely missed but i'm glad they got back together - this is some good stuff.

Advertisement