Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris things to do

• 02-09-2009 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Going to Paris for second time next week, was wondering if anyone could suggest things to do. Have already seen Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, boat trip, Disney, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Louvre and went to Versailles. Anyone have any other suggestions??I've heard of the indoor waterpark over there,any1 been to it?? all suggestions welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭black & white

Hospital Les Invalides contains a war museum which is well worth a look and also has Napoleons tomb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Invalides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 derrinparis

You should do the Montparnasse tower it is the best view of paris there is never a queue! And its cheap!
    There is the cruise on the seine you can use the batobus which is the price of a bus ticket which means you can hope on and off, Or you can go for dinner cruise which i highly recommend its 50 euro per person the name of the companey is Capitaine Fricasse i think check the spelling!
    Any visitors we have here i bring them on that, there is the sewer tour which is great brings you around the old sewers in paris and is very interesting, hope it halps if there is anything in particular you are looking for let me know!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

You should do the Montparnasse tower it is the best view of paris there is never a queue! And its cheap!
    !

Definitely recommend Montparnasse, the views are unreal!!!

Or another place is the only sky scraper in Paris (not sure of the name) you can go up the top of that, didn't go up but heard it's got great views too!

Head up to Pere Lachaise Cemetery, it's a beautiful cemetery, with the likes of Jim Morrison's grave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bund

montparnass definitly give it a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

http://www.aquaboulevard.fr/aquaboulevard.html#/parcAquatique/regleDor

Water park in Paris. Strict rules though. All guys must wear speedos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Some of my top things to do in Paris would be:

1) The Notre Dame Tower - the queues can be a bit scary, so get there early. But the view is beautiful and you get an up close view of the amazing gargoyles. You also get to see one of the huge bells. It costs about €7.

2) Musee D'Orsay - This is a fabulous art gallery with countless impressionist paintings. Everywhere you look are famous paintings (think Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir etc.) My top tip would be to get there early, head up straight to the top floor where the really famous pieces are and you will have them all to yourself until the masses make their way up from the lower floors.

3) Saint Chappelle/Concergerie - These are two seperate buildings, but you can buy a combination ticket and they're side by side. Le Concergerie is the prison where Marie Antoinette was kept prisoner and you get to see a replica of her cell. Saint Chappelle is the most beautiful church with stunning stained glass windows, it's really peaceful and beautiful.

4) Sacre Couer/Montmatre - It can be a little over-run with tourists up here, but it's lovely to sit on the Sacre Couer steps on a hot day. The views over Paris are beautiful. There are some nice little shops/restaurants/bars in Montmatre - keep an eye out for the tiny vineyard - but avoid the area by the Moulin Rouge, it is really run down and seedy (that goes for the Moulin Rouge also).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

catacombs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Muffin Head

hey on the topic of things to do does anyone know of any shopping areas that are not the typical tourist ones please....:rolleyes:

hey on the topic of things to do does anyone know of any shopping areas that are not the typical tourist ones please....:rolleyes:

What Kind of shops are you looking for Muffin Head? If it is clothes shopping you are interested in, then Champs Elyssee is good for your high street stores, it has the usual Zara, Gap, Mango, Esprit etc. There are fabulous stores in the Opera area and Galleries Lafayette is a must visit on Boulevard Haussmann. It is a huge department store and is an amazing building (go up to the roof, it has a great view!)

yea clothes...that sounds class thank you!!!
    i was just looking for the little treasure shops you find with really amazing stuff on a budget.....
    ill have a gander at yours definitely....

• Advertisement

yea clothes...that sounds class thank you!!!
    i was just looking for the little treasure shops you find with really amazing stuff on a budget.....
    ill have a gander at yours definitely....

Also, if you're looking for little 'knick knack' shops, do look around the 6th Arr, it is a touristy area, but there are little side streets with the most amazing shops, clothes, accessories, collectables etc. The great thing is that the shops tend to stay open quite late, so it is a great area to explore at night. Head for Boulevard St Germain and just explore the area round there.

now that sounds like my kinda place thank you so much dear....:D

The district of La Defense and the Grande Arche are pretty cool, in a dystopian kinda way. Great view from the top.

http://www.arnaudfrichphoto.com/Images/english-version/la-defense-panorama-327.jpg

Business district though, so not exactly packed with cosy restaurants.

Pantheon well worth seeing. Lovely. Some famous names in the tombs. And there's a few cemeteries in Paris that are worh a stroll around, one near Luxembourg Gardens has Beckett and Sartre and Gainsbourgh and a few more.

St Chappelle is a must. Once you do the Eifel Tower etc, you've done them. But St Chappelle keeps bringing me back anyway.

St Eustache Church near the Forum Des Halles is lovely too.

http://photos.igougo.com/images/p339606-Paris-Eglise_Saint_Eustache.jpg

And of course the Place des Vosges is another must, the nicest square in Paris.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Paris-place-des-vosges.jpg

Advertisement