Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter or Summer Photographer?

• 02-09-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking over the last few days about how much I am looking forward to the winter. Having thought about why this is, I've come up with the fact that I am much more of a winter photographer than a summer one (if there is such a thing :p). I had alook back through my flickr/pix accounts and indeed my favourite pics are all taken in winter time. I love getting sunrise/sunset shots and this is so much easier in winter (if a bit colder) as I don't have to get out of bed at 4am or stay out till 11 pm to get the shot. I think also the long winter evenings lend themselves better to experimenting indoors than summer does, as in the summer I'm usually out in the park with the kids or the usual summer stuff...

3853309206_af37536952.jpg

3321698159_f533bc0f6e.jpg

3230018010_31e37b6bc5.jpg

3225937645_89df462193.jpg

3201909321_3eca88d674.jpg

I find myself catching glimpses of the beautiful colours of the sky now at 8-8.30 PM and am really looking forward to the long, dark, cold nights. It's not like we get a summer here anyway, is it?

So summer or winter? What floats your boat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

I tend to take more pics at night (dark time!) so yeah I'd be more a winter photographer..... roll on the shorter days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I agree to an extent. The available light in the winter months can be a bit more interesting. I find getting out and about in the summer with the little one is more convenient, thus i take more photos.

Btw... Great shots there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Some nice shots there.

I take photos most days, so I'm neither I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Another benefit of night time shots in winter is that you can keep your sensor cooler on longer exposures so running less of a risk of getting a stuck pixel.

Nice photos btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I am soooo much a summer, I am allergic to the cold which means I WILL NOT go out photographing in the winter unless it is paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm an all rounder due to what I do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Bit of both, some +'s & -'s I can think of:
    summer :
    + : warm weather(ish), long days, colors (fields, flowers, trees etc)
    - : very early for a sunrise, 'irish summer' weather :eek:!!, harsh daylight

winter :
    + : easy to catch sunsets, sunrises, light not as harsh, SNOW(ish):p
    - : frostbite on my fingers !!, travelling to remote locations can be difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

YOu are really good... are you proffesional....do you have a site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

thanks unwilling for the complement :o but I'm not a pro...sure i'm not able to get good shots in the summer :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

winter :
    + : easy to catch sunsets, sunrises, light not as harsh, SNOW(ish):p

Oh there is the snow. As my sig below is one of my favourite shots ever snow can produce fantastic shots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

at least the sunrises are at a reasonable hour in the morning......

A good chance of some winter weather, ice, frost and snow!

I definitly prefer the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Gigs are neither but open air fests do tend to need light!
    Non gig shots are I would not be fussy but I assume I'm more of a summer head.
    Good thread/topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Winter vs. summer photographer? In Ireland? Is that supposed to be a joke? :pac:
    Nope, there is less rain in winter here. However there is a little less light. I don't have to get out of bed so early to catch low Sun, but I have less time to stroll around and look for pictures.
    And I have tendency to study a little more during the winter. So yes, I am good weather photographer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I used to be a summer photographer, I am now an autumn one, in a few weeks i plan on being a winter one then am gonna try spring then it will be time to be a summer one again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Cut off the thumb and index finger of an old pair of gloves and get someone nice to warm them every now and then....

Advertisement