Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning and protecting brass door furniture

Options
  • 02-09-2009 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise on this? I cleaned the tarnished brass about two years ago with a metal polish (Brasso), washed the polish off and dried it and then applied three coats of clear lacquer.

It's now as badly tarnished as ever and the lacquer has been very difficult to remove. I don't fancy the prospect of haveing to do it again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've tried the DIY clear lacquer in the past too, it doesn't last very long. The only type of lacquering that does last (for some time anyway) is factory applied and electrostatically so, followed by a low bake oven to cure it. The only alternative to continuous polishing is to replace with a superior brass product such as PVD brass, the following link has some useful info on brass ironmongery:

http://www.carlisledesigngroup.com/index.php?page=care-instructions

Advertisement