Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coriander Obsession

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

In fairness though, Coriander Naans are manky!

Just leaves a horrible metallic feeling/taste in your mouth. It's not normal to each that much Coriander.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Coriander on roast beef Des? Surely you exaggerate. If you are correct then the chef should be shot with his own s**t. Roast beef is no place for herbs, particularly herbs from the other side of the world.

I like coriander but wouldn't put it on me cornflakes - unlike my sister in law, who once decided that a bowl of gremolata from the dinner the previous night would be a nice addition to porridge. Needless to say, it was awful (i'm told).

Coriander is lovely if used in the right context - with spicy food as in a salsa with lime juice, chilli and tomato - hmmm. Roast Beef? ROAST BEEF? GTF!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

at the same wedding

they put a big lump of it on top of a fig and goats cheese tart (dont get me started on goats cheese tart)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm afraid I'm another coriander lover. It has a delicous 'lemony' citrus type falvour.... yum yum. I've been making a sweet chicken curry for years but the other night was the first time I added some chopped coriander.............. I'll be doing that again, delicous.

Sorry to go against you Des but it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Another Anti coriander, I hate the stuff, its like eating soap .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Des wrote: »
    That's cucumber I'd say you're thinking of, which contains a chemical compound called Phenylthiocarbamide, which only certain people can taste. I hate cucumber too, as it happens. This is also found in melons, which I don't eat.

I can smell cucumber on a plate three tables over.
    I also hate cucumber and could not eat a sandwich which was touched with it (i.e. can't just take it off, I can still taste it a mile off). I do love gerkins though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander#Leaves
    The leaves have a different taste from the seeds, with citrus overtones. Some perceive an unpleasant "soapy" taste or a rank smell and avoid the leaves. Belief that this is genetically determined may arise from the known genetic variation in taste perception of the synthetic chemical phenylthiocarbamide; however, no specific link has been established between coriander and a bitter taste perception gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

hate coriander!id agree with it being evil!the leaf that is,dunno about the seeds as never eaten them on its own but can taste if theres coriander leaf in something or not, even the smell of it is nauseating!
    not huge fan of basil either,love thyme!

i often wonder at christmas time how many ppl end up buying it thinking its parsley as been to shop few times where theres just trolley loads of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What about the stalks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

love it, love it, love it..... Coriander FTW:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sparks wrote: »
    What about the stalks?[/QUOTE

What about them? Try this use the whole stem and leaf, chop finely and add to a very small amount of light soya sauce and a small dash of toasted sesame oil.
    The Chinese use this with chicken recipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

That would be a waste of delicious soy sauce and sesame oil.

Vile stuff coriander leaves. First time I had it I thought someone had put fairy washing up liquid in my dinner. Seeds funnily enough taste nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I love the seeds. Just tried leaves- not very nice. Remind me of the smell of my fish tank.

Advertisement