Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New houses - discounts?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 4:39pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Am looking at a couple of new properties in Meath this weekend. There's a few "1 left" developments where probably the show house is on sale.

It's a long time since I last bought a house (10 years) and when I did, it was the start of the madness with people overnighting in cars etc. to get a place in the queue. Obviously things are different now, so should I be going in with a lower offer price than what's being asked (I would assume so) and if so, just how cheeky should I be? :D

I guess a lot depends on the asking price which varies quite a bit across some of the houses - like €340k to €500k for similar sized new properties in new developments.

Do people think there'd be much room to negotiate on these prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Any links?

IMO the houses would need to be pretty palatial to warrant those sort of asking prices. Meath is part of commuterville, an area that gained ridiculous value during the boom, and is seeing that stripped away now.

I'd also be highly skeptical of "one left" or "a few left" claims by developers. Those phrases were used to stoke up the frenzy and make the buying sheep more compliant during the boom, and while it may have been true back in the day, it's unlikely to be the case now.

Use your own eyes and ears when visiting the area rather than going on the word of the person whose mission it is to sell you an overpriced property.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My girlfriend just bought a house.

She had been looking for a long time around 3 years. She had an eye on this place for about 18 months. Orginal asking price was €575k.

At the start of the year it was down to around €400k. She got them down to €360k but waited.

She eventaully got it to €350k.

If you want to play the waiting game you can really milk it. If you have some neck you can get it down further

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Its worth finding out if it really is the last house or just BS. You will be wasting your time trying to get a major discount on the last house as the developer will have made his money. If there 15 houses left out of 30 if you have patience you can get a lot off. Anywhere from 20-40% depending on how good your poker face is.

Advertisement