Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RDP'ing from Windows XP 32bit to Win08 64bit server

• 02-09-2009 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    What's the best way to do this?

Someone told me that if connect with a 32bit RDP client it will put the whole server into 32bit mode. This server will be running a critical database.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Remote Desktop Protocol?

I really dont think what you have been told is true. (Pretty sure of this but cant find any documentary evidence either way.)
    There should be no problems from XP to Server or even the other way round......

EDIT:
    http://www.winvistatips.com/rdp-client-not-able-connect-64bit-server-2008-machines-t174849.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi,
    What's the best way to do this?

Someone told me that if connect with a 32bit RDP client it will put the whole server into 32bit mode. This server will be running a critical database.

Thanks.

Whoever told you that lied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Spear: Can you point me to your source or let me know how you know this?

We have been told that... yes we can connect but the server will not run in 64bit. Now maybe it's just our RDP login that will run in 32bit and other logins on the server will carry on at 64bit I don't know.

All I know is that we will need to login using the user the SQL server runs under.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spear: Can you point me to your source or let me know how you know this?

We have been told that... yes we can connect but the server will not run in 64bit. Now maybe it's just our RDP login that will run in 32bit and other logins on the server will carry on at 64bit I don't know.

All I know is that we will need to login using the user the SQL server runs under.

How could connecting an 32bit RDP session possibly cause the entire OS to run as 32bit? 32bit versions of the core components wouldn't even be present on the machine. All 32bit apps run on the WOW64 layer anyway so they're already isolated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Spear wrote: »
    How could connecting an 32bit RDP session possibly cause the entire OS to run as 32bit? 32bit versions of the core components wouldn't even be present on the machine. All 32bit apps run on the WOW64 layer anyway so they're already isolated.

My thinking without the same formulation of words and development.

This isn't specifically my area and quite frankly couldn't give a t*ss about windows to save my life but someone here at work is saying the above and the person that told him is a sql consultant so I need to get my facts before talking about it again.

• Advertisement

My thinking without the same formulation of words and development.

This isn't specifically my area and quite frankly couldn't give a t*ss about windows to save my life but someone here at work is saying the above and the person that told him is a sql consultant so I need to get my facts before talking about it again.

Ah, a consultant said it, and an SQL one at that.

More specifically, 32bit and 64bit apps both run in their native code form. 64bit processors switch mode for the sake of executing 32bit or 64bit. In Windows the x86 code is presented with the WOW64 (Windows On Windows) to give the appearance of a 32bit implementation of Windows, complete with reg entries through their own node.

Advertisement