Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corsair Flash Survivor GT

• 02-09-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

This has been annoying me for ages. I had a Survivor (non-GT) which unfortunatly became corrupt and now I want to buy a new one. However, I want to get the GT version as the previous one was a tad slow.

Does anyone know where I can get the GT version shipped to Ireland? I've hit countless dead ends. If I could figure this out, I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Is this it? Elara have a Corsair stick with GT in the product code.

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1571529&productID=S5345705

Out of stock for another week though.. you might try contacting them.

If money's no problem, they have this beast too..

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1809634&productID=S6929498

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Macdaddy, thats the non GT version.

Amalgam, thats the voyager GT, not Survivor GT.

Thanks anyway guys. It's really not that straight forward, I know all the regular Irish sites. Komplett have said they will not stock it. None of the old reliables have it.

It really is a dilly of a pickle as you can see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The GT drives arent really that fast. Corsair switched all of them from SLC to MLC a few years ago and the performance took a major hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

In their own right, perhaps not, but the regular Survivor is quite slow indeed. It's the exact drive I want, had one, thought it was great, just needed to be faster! The read speed of the GT version is not a lot different, but write speeds are noticably faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got one of these OCZ ATV's

Highly recommend them, wicked fast (30-34MB/s read, 15 write, I've actually tested, its true), faster than the Corsair and memoryc are based in celbridge and will ship it in 2days for around a fiver

Even better is the lifetime OCZ warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I'd be very careful what you have backed up on it Pog. Got one of them myself and it died recently on me. Not being picked up by the computer at all and seemingly no way to fix it. Been doing some research and a LOT, and I mean A LOT of people are having issues with these OCZ drives.

Soundman wrote: »
    I'd be very careful what you have backed up on it Pog. Got one of them myself and it died recently on me. Not being picked up by the computer at all and seemingly no way to fix it. Been doing some research and a LOT, and I mean A LOT of people are having issues with these OCZ drives.

Backups on a usb key, your kidding right?
    Its got a lifetime warranty, contact them for a rma

The very same could be found for any usb key, see, loads of others with Corsairs die also. Par for the course for any make of usb key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Phrased that badly. I meant, be careful what is stored on it and that you have it backed up elsewhere.

Ah I know that every company has their fair share of dead flash drives and what not. I just find it strange that a lot of the OCZ drives, that model in particular, are all dying around the same time. Something to do with a Windows update perhaps?

• Advertisement

See usb keys are an expendable item, they've still got a limited number of write times, in reality its as low as 1000 times. I'm actually on my second OCZ after a yr and a bit, but I'd class myself as a heavy user as I use mine every single day, but with its lifetime warranty what I've bought in reality is a contract for OCZ to keep replacing them when they do. I just posted on their forum, got an address to apply for a rma and when the details arrived I posted it to the address they gave me in Holland, had a new one in 4-5 days.

To ensure they last the longest time, make sure You safely remove them every time in windows as this is the main cause of killing them. Also never use them in a usb hub as these can have lower voltage.

Advertisement