Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT - Lost Goshawk Near Piltown Kilkenny

Options
  • 02-09-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Lads,
    A friend of mine has lost his Goshawk Owning and Piltown (Kilkenny/Waterford borders) yesterday (1st September 2009).

Anyone around the area (piltown/Fiddown) with telemetry receiver on 216.00 please have a scan as we have 7 - 10 days to try and find him. He has a bell and transmitter (216.00).

Anywhere around Piltown will do as the weather would have impact on his ability to cover ground.

If you can see or hear him please call Dave Sinnott on 087 955 2392 and there WILL be a beer in it for you! Or mail me and I'll sort out contact.
    David

Any chance of a Mod moving this to top level thread Shooting or Hunting as I managed to post it in the wrong place. Sorry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Moved to Shooting for maximum exposure; hope the Goshawk turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Wouldnt he look well on my mantlepiece. I wonder would a .22lr do much damage to him,apart from the obvious of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

thedragon wrote: »
    Wouldnt he look well on my mantlepiece. I wonder would a .22lr do much damage to him,apart from the obvious of course.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

what is a goshawk. Hope ya find it, whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Why would someone even think that they are such a beautiful bird i really do wonder sometimes.
    Hope he turns up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

dave999 wrote: »
    Anyone around the area (piltown/Fiddown) with telemetry receiver on 216.00 please have a scan as we have 7 - 10 days to try and find him. He has a bell and transmitter (216.00).

What are you supposed to hear when you tune into 216.0. I'm listening now and I can hear a very faint tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Hope you find this wonderfull creature...

As for ''the dragon'' Im sure would look a lot better behind bars in mountjoy why even think a comment. Its the likes of you that shouldnt own guns:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Just read this tread, and was shooting duck down in Rochestown not far from Ballinlaw yesterday I saw a bird that caught my eye and it could have been him, it's not far as the crow flyes from where he was lost,hope you find him.

moose112 wrote: »
    Why would someone even think that they are such a beautiful bird i really do wonder sometimes.
    Hope he turns up.

Just joking,I couldnt ever dream of the likes. Sorry!!

elius wrote: »
    Hope you find this wonderfull creature...

As for ''the dragon'' Im sure would look a lot better behind bars in mountjoy why even think a comment. Its the likes of you that shouldnt own guns:(:(:(

Thats a bit harsh. Do ya not think.

• Advertisement

Just joking:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Harsh?? That's a bit rich after your previous comment. If you are joking it future, its normally to include :pac::D:p:) or what ever, even still it was in very bad taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭dave999

BravoMike wrote: »
    What are you supposed to hear when you tune into 216.0. I'm listening now and I can hear a very faint tone.

Its a 'pinging' or bleep sound every 1 or 2 seconds (a bit like a submarine sonar ping).
    David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 daithiosin

cheers marlin
    Was down there this morn. no joy as of yet.
    Did you happen to hear a bell ringing? as hes got one attached.
    Hes grey in colour,yellow feet and about the size of a crow.

if any one happens to see a flock of crows mobbing a bird,it may well be my hawk. they tend to gang up to try to drive him away from their area.

Thanks everyone.
    Dave

BUMP:)

No I didn't hear a bell, he was about 300 yrd's away from me, I always keep an eye out for bird's of prey as iv'e got an interest in them as a friend of mine kept bird's of prer for a long time, there's a buzzard down there regularly and i always kep a lookout for him, the bird I saw the other day definatly wasn't the buzzard but he had broad wings, i'll be down there again tomorrow and keep my eyes peeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

still no luck? Hope ya get him back in good health.

No joy yet im afraid. i had a good scout around today. will spend most of tomorrow,hopefully better luck.
    ya marlin give me a buzz if you spot any thing, im only 30 mins away.

Done the whole bank of the foreshore from Ballinlaw to Kearneybay not a sign of him.

Thanks marlin, i appreciate it lad. do alot of scanning today with the omni directional antenna on top of the car. not a beeb on the reciever.
    Coming to the conclusion that the transmitter may have failed.
    If it has, the only way i would find him is if some one was to spot him on a kill or perched some where.

• Advertisement

How did he get lost lad.. Will he be able to survive on his own hunt etc
    And would you not put your number up just in case its spotted.. Hope ya get it back

hi elius.
    he got carried away by a sudden gust of wind while out hunting.
    I was a good distance away from the car to where my reciever was.
    Turned the thing on to track him down and had no signal. so decided to start driving in the direction he went. i havent been able to pick up a signal since.
    And yes he would survive in the wild no problem.if you read the first post my mobile no is there.
    Hope i get him soon. i just have to keep trying.

Didnt cop that was telling my father.. hes in waterford in dungarvin though he said send http://www.waterfordbirds.com/ an e-mail as they would have bird watchers all over the county etc...

Will do elius. thanks for that mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Ever find your hawk ?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

any luck finding the bird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

daithiosin

Last Activity: 26-09-2009 04:00
    Might be better sending him a pm.

hello all. no joy in locating my bird. he would be after reverting back to wild state by now and would have gained hes natural fear of man. people in the area are still in touch and no sightings. there is quite alot of woodland and forestry in the area. ive been through on numerous occasions with no trace of him. if i can figure out his teritory i can set a trap for him. im not giving up just yet. i know of other falconers that have lost goshawks over the years and got them back even after 9 and 10 months. so keeping the fingers crossed.
    Thanks for all your replies.

atb

Daithi

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

sorry to hear that m8 its a pity all your hard work has been lost with him

• Advertisement

johnfaul wrote: »
    sorry to hear that m8 its a pity all your hard work has been lost with him

Its heart breaking to say the least. he was great hunting bird that i flew every single day of the week. i cursed the telemtry over and over.
    you spend a lot of money to ensure you dont lose your falcon or hawk, and when you rely on it,it fails. it just makes you mad. Thats the ups and downs of falconry im afraid. it does become a big part of your life with hours and hours of hard work involved in training and getting the bird to a good fitness level, followed by hours and hours of pleasure
    watching him perform in hes natural environment.

Daithi

Advertisement