Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New log tables

Options
  • 02-09-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Anybody see the new mathematics tables yet? They are supposed to be bigger than the old ones and contain more physics formula. Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

pathway33 wrote: »
    Anybody see the new mathematics tables yet? They are supposed to be bigger than the old ones and contain more physics formula. Is this true?

yep saw them the other day in easons! they also have a few economic formulae too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I posted a few scans, they are ridiculous.....I could well be in a different college if I had them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Fad wrote: »
    I posted a few scans, they are ridiculous.....I could well be in a different college if I had them.....

Not that much help to be honest.. saves us from learning a few formulae I suppose but they really shoudl be committed to memory from repitition at this stage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

will we have those in the lleaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Blerdiii wrote: »
    will we have those in the lleaving cert?
    State Examinations Commission
    Cor na Madadh, Baile Átha Luain, Co. na hIarmhí
    Cornamaddy, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    S.60/09
    To: Management Authorities of Second-Level Schools
    Re: Formulae and Tables booklet

Dear Principal,

I refer to the State Examinations Commission Circular No. S.56/09 (copy enclosed) and I now enclose three copies of the new Formulae and Tables booklet. This new booklet will be used in the 2010 examinations and thereafter, and the older Mathematics Tables booklet will no longer be provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i didnt even use the tables in the exams, well i did do ordinary level, but yeah its about time they made the print bigger:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

This new tables book cotains most, if not all the formulas for HL maths, and includes physics formulas aswell.
    Seeing as more formulas are being given without having to remember them, they are bound to increase the difficulty of the maths and physics exams. Probably not this year, but in the examinations to come, thats my theory anyway.
    I personally prefered the old tables book. All you had to do was open page 9 and you kept it on that page for most of the exam.
    There are way too many pages in this new one, and people will be going back and forward trying to find formulas.
    However, they had to change the old one, could bearly read the areas and volumes pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

For the Junior Cert, the log tables were grand, all you had to was open page 9. It's only a pity the thing was illegible. The tables page are useless altogether, we never even learned to use it. New tables are more modern and are hopefully alot more legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

The legibility is much better. Better hold onto the old logbook for nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It's intriguing that people still refer to this as "the log book" and "the log tables". It hasn't been called that officially for donkeys' years. The new one doesn't even have any log tables in it! But I'm sure it'll still be called "the new log book"!

Anyway, how many people here know how to use log tables to calculate stuff, I wonder? Or a slide rule, for that matter?

• Advertisement

It's intriguing that people still refer to this as "the log book" and "the log tables". It hasn't been called that officially for donkeys' years. The new one doesn't even have any log tables in it! But I'm sure it'll still be called "the new log book"!

Anyway, how many people here know how to use log tables to calculate stuff, I wonder? Or a slide rule, for that matter?

Well, I can use log tables!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dannydfc

yeah , the teacher said it today.
    Really good help, so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

RexMundi wrote: »
    Well, I can use log tables!

Well, you can, obviously, being kingoftheworld!

(Maybe one is giving one's age away by admitting to being able to calculate with log tables!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

blubloblu wrote: »
    The legibility is much better.
    Good! I was sick of squinting to see if it was looking at an 8 or a 3

Well, you can, obviously, being kingoftheworld!

(Maybe one is giving one's age away by admitting to being able to calculate with log tables!)

Yeah, perhaps not... I'm sitting the Leaving this year :D

A quite-old teacher showed us in 2nd or 3rd year, it was always handy to know how to use them when you didn't have a calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭swatch

pathway33 wrote: »

Yupp this is very true! Our maths teacher came into our 6th year maths class beaming yesterday going on about how she didn't even know they were coming out and what a great surprise it was :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 doug.irl.92

Yep we were told about them today! You get pretty much everything in them now (the very difficult co-ordinate geometry formulae!!!).

We can also read them now!!

Yep we were told about them today! You get pretty much everything in them now (the very difficult co-ordinate geometry formulae!!!).

We can also read them now!!

I have yet to have the pleasure of viewing these wondrous new Tables Books. Do they have the co-ordinate geometry of the circle formulae?

If so, I am definately acing maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

They seem really good especially for physics, but it'll definitely take getting used to. I had the same log tables since first year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

jumpguy wrote: »
    For the Junior Cert, the log tables were grand, all you had to was open page 9. It's only a pity the thing was illegible. The tables page are useless altogether, we never even learned to use it. New tables are more modern and are hopefully alot more legible.

That's probably because you had a calculator, when I did my JC in 94 (JC only came in 1992) calculators were not allowed!!!:eek: All the middle pages in my log tables are well worn and marks from calculating squares, roots, sin, cos, tan etc. All done with the log tables. Some would think it's an obsolete skill but it did make us use our brains more.

That's probably because you had a calculator, when I did my JC in 94 (JC only came in 1992) calculators were not allowed!!!:eek: All the middle pages in my log tables are well worn and marks from calculating squares, roots, sin, cos, tan etc. All done with the log tables. Some would think it's an obsolete skill but it did make us use our brains more.

As someone with experience of both methods (I regularly forget my calculator for exams...) I can tell you that using such methods does not require any extra brain power, just time to waste in a tedious and rather mindane way. Using a calculator in fact frees the brain for use on more... challenging things.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

As someone with experience of both methods (I regularly forget my calculator for exams...) I can tell you that using such methods does not require any extra brain power, just time to waste in a tedious and rather mindane way. Using a calculator in fact frees the brain for use on more... challenging things.

Well I just find from teaching now that some students who have not been shown how to use log tables and do everything with a calculator are lost when they have no calculator and are handed a pen and paper....

I did my JC in '06 (Maybe '07, I just got home........) and I was taught how to use the log table (Why? I still dont know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

I am repeating this year and doing chemistry which needs use of log tables.Will I be alright with the old ones or will I have to buy the new ones??

li-evo7 wrote: »
    I am repeating this year and doing chemistry which needs use of log tables.Will I be alright with the old ones or will I have to buy the new ones??

There's the pH formula in the new ones (Dunno what else), pick up a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

This makes me irrationally sad.. :( There was plenty in the old log tables! Although tbh the only thing I really used my log tables for was the probability option question. But still! I like being able to say "back in my day things were more difficult.. we walked to school for 10 miles in the snow, we used basic log tables.." *shakes fist*.. which was.. *ahem* 2007. >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Are there scans of them up or something? I might pick one up anyway if it's cheap, there's a maths module on the CA course in DCU I think, at the very least I might run into some maths related problem in future.

Actually no, that's not the reason... I just want one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭wexhurdler

Do they have the co-ordinate geometry of the circle formulae?

If so, I am definately acing maths!

Could you not just learn them:confused:

Advertisement