Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from Home

• 02-09-2009 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm a student returning to college this september and I've recently been let go from my job. I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist, and I'd like to offer some treatments from my home in the evenings after college. (Massage, Manicure, Pedicure etc) and I basically just wanted to know, is this legal?

I considered that perhaps I'd have to register for Tax but students don't pay Tax.. do they? Just wanted some general advice and opinions really!

I'm also going to post this in the Beauty section in the hope that there may be somebody there with information on this, but any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Leaving the tax issue aside, it's totally legal to work from home.
    One consideration is to have public liability insurance for clients coming into your home. Don't be exposed in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

If you live in a managed development / apartment complex, there may be rules that preclude you from operating a business from your residence.

You should probably consider offering the service in the customer's homes rather than your home if possible. This would give you a different service offering to the beauty salons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭earcandi

ontour2 wrote: »
    You should probably consider offering the service in the customer's homes rather than your home if possible. This would give you a different service offering to the beauty salons.

That's an idea I'd be willing to try, at least then I wouldn't get claimed agains for someone falling down my stairs! Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

earcandi wrote: »
    I'm a student returning to college this september and I've recently been let go from my job. I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist, and I'd like to offer some treatments from my home in the evenings after college. (Massage, Manicure, Pedicure etc) and I basically just wanted to know, is this legal?

I considered that perhaps I'd have to register for Tax but students don't pay Tax.. do they? Just wanted some general advice and opinions really!

I'm also going to post this in the Beauty section in the hope that there may be somebody there with information on this, but any advice is welcome.

Everyone who earns enough is required to pay tax. It doesn't matter whether you're a student or an O.A.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

There is not much hassle in registering your business at home , there was a clause in my apartment lease to say I couldn't run a company from there, but a quick chat to the landlord to tell him what sort of business it was and he said no problem.

These clauses are usually there to stop people from having machinery running all night or other unsocial noise/traffic in the apartment.

oh, and if you travel to each clients house then charge accordingly , as travel time is work time, whereas if they visit your premises then you can fit a lot more clients in per night.

public liability insurance can be sought from as little as 100 euros (last time I checked)

best of luck ,
    Fionn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭earcandi

Thanks, may I ask where did you find the Public Liability Insurance? Also, a friend commented that my landlord may have paid this as part of his house insurance already as he is letting it out, could this be true?

Thank you all for the advice, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Nice one OP for taking the initiative. You'll do good.

In relation to working from home, go for it. True about the insurance thing, might be a good idea to have basic cover.
    About the tax thing, you will simply fill out a TR1 form to register as self employed and around aug/sept 2010 (for this year) you'll submit a self assesment tax return. Dont worry, get someone who has half a brain in accounts to advise you when the time comes. Also, keep track of everything you make/spend.
    In the meantime, put your head down and plough on. Make some money for your self.;)

A good link below:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/types-of-employment/self-employment/self-employment-as-an-individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

You will have to file a tax return under your PPS number on any income you make. Make sure you are tax compliant. It's quite easy when you keep on top of it.

Advertisement