Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would I be allowed to post a thread about boards.ie? and it's pro lisbon stance

Options
  • 02-09-2009 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have an issue with me making a thread in the conspiracy forum about this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You want to start a thread on the boards.ie conspiracy theories forum about boards.ie being compicit in a political conspiracy? So you want to accuse the powers that be of being corrupt, on their own site, when they hae the power and ability to edit/remove any content that is put on their site and do whatever they like to your profile?

Have you seen the Dark Knight by the way? There's a great scene in it with Morgan Freeman where this guy tries to blackmail him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It's no conspiracy, its written right there in the AGM minutes for last year.

Regi " I propose that we take a pro Lisbon stance"
    Cloud "Seconded"
    Devore "I essentially agree, but how does this tie in with our pro NAZI, Jewish, communist, liberalise, terrorist, pro abortion, racist, sexist, fascist, capitalist, affliates in "her majesty's kingdom" of england, scotland wales and Ireland" *gentle touchs his organge order sash

Regi "It fits in perfectly"
    All "Huzza"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Boston wrote: »

Cloud "Seconded"
    Devore "I essentially agree, but how does this tie in with our pro NAZI, Jewish, communist, liberalise, terrorist, pro abortion, racist, sexist, fascist, capitalist, affliates in "her majesty's kingdom" of england, scotland wales and Ireland" *gentle touchs his organge order sash

All "Huzza"

I can still hear the clinking of their goblets as they collided gleefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Your getting carried away.
    What harm could it do?

What harm could it do?

It's just a bit cheeky, isn't it?

Ask the mods of CT, they're the ones who will let you know.

• Advertisement

What harm could it do?

Not really a matter of what harm it could do, more a matter of it being a pointless exercise with no basis that will just result in boards.ie (and I would imagine the politics mods/users) getting veiled abuse and crap thrown at them by people with an axe to grind. Why should boards provide people with a platform for whingers to sling shit at it and its people, particularly in a seperate forum to the one that they are unhappy with? They tried that system before, it's the way feedback used to be. It doesn't work (although I still miss those kitties).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Boston wrote: »

Cloud "Seconded"

All "Huzza"

Yup.
    That's exactly how it went down.

Afterwards they fed on baby seals accompanied with a rare vintage wine.
    Those bastids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wouldn't recommend it because it's bullsh1t. Seriously, Boards.ie doesn't have a political agenda. Each individual has their own political views but when moderators/admins appear to be singing from the same hymn-sheet, cries of "Oh noez, they've an agenda" can be heard... It's a bit paranoid.

An example: A bunch of staunch republicans are always whingeing that Boards is anti republican/unionist... then the other day, some loyalist guy kept re-regging (because he kept being banned) and eventually resorting to claiming "Boards is a pro republican site".

Dudess wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it because it's bullsh1t. Seriously, Boards.ie doesn't have a political agenda. Each individual has their own political views but when moderators/admins appear to be singing from the same hymn-sheet, cries of "Oh noez, they've an agenda" can be heard... It's a bit paranoid.

An example: A bunch of staunch republicans are always whingeing that Boards is anti republican/unionist... then the other day, some loyalist guy kept re-regging (because he kept being banned) and eventually resorting to claiming "Boards is a pro republican site".

Don't forget that boards is a nazi regime that has banned the stormfront crowd. Banning nasty, abusive, racist, evil bastards who contribute nothing but venom and vitriol to the site, or getting rid of the competition? The plot thickens....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Ask the mods of CT, they're the ones who will let you know.

What a novel idea.

Alternately...it could be posted in the "Opinions" sticky we have, to discuss it in-forum, in public.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Why is it that the CT forum always seems to want to conspire against the very site that allows them the opportunity to discuss conspiracies in the first place?

Why is it that the CT forum always seems to want to conspire against the very site that allows them the opportunity to discuss conspiracies in the first place?

A boards admin accusing the conspiracy theory forum of conspiring against boards in retaliation to the politics forum accusing boards of being a political conpiracy in the conspiracy theories forum?

*head explodes*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

It may seem that way...just like it seems to some (apparently) that boards.ie has a political agenda. i.e. The words of a vocal few gets confused with a stance of the collective.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

boards.ie doesn't have a pro-Lisbon stance. The Politics forum, and specifically the EU subforum, doesn't have a pro-Lisbon stance.

What it does have is at least two moderators who believe that the treaty should be ratified, and express that opinion on a regular basis.

It also has a number of users who apparently believe that moderators shouldn't hold (or at least shouldn't express) a view on the topic. More problematically, it has a number of users who don't believe the rules apply to them, and would rather believe that they have been sanctioned because the moderators disagree with them than accept the possibility that it was because they broke the rules.

Hope that clears things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Boards also has a number of users who believe moderators reprimand them simply for their opinion, rather than how they've expressed it. Those are two very different things.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I can still hear the clinking of their goblets as they collided gleefully.

Between the AGM and eircom giving me a free 20MB ADSL line, free phone and mobile calls for life and a new car every year so I support there new warez site blocking policy I've had a good year :pac:

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dudess wrote: »
    Boards also has a number of users who believe moderators reprimand them simply for their opinion, rather than how they've expressed it. Those are two very different things.

sssh I don't agree with your opinion in this post I'll have to ban you later

I've asked a mod before posting this and he said to post it in here to get some feedback.

So bad idea?

So bad idea?

Considering that there is absolutely nothing to base the idea on in any way, shape or form, yes, I would say bad idea.

How do you know what i have to say if i am not allowed to say it?
    It's not like it's going to cause any harm to anyone.

• Advertisement

How do you know what i have to say if i am not allowed to say it?
    It's not like it's going to cause any harm to anyone.

Judging from the title of this thread you want to start a thread about boards.ie having a pro-Lisbon stance in the Conspiracy Theories forum. From that I think it is fair to conclude that you want to say boards.ie has a pro-Lisbon stance and it is some kind of conspiracy. It does not and it is not. There is quite simply nothing to discuss.

All it would do is cause hassle and unnecessary work for the moderators of the forum in question, not to mention give some people the misinformed notion that there might actually be some merit to the idea, which there is not. Instead of that harm will it do, what good do you think it will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

He Pm'd me about it and I said if its about boards then post it in feedback. I didnt expect a thread in feedback asking for permission to ignore me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If you think Boards.ie (as a body) is being biased then its an issue with the site. If you think its an enforced policy then use Helpdesk to address the Admins.

Any good conspiracy will have a theory to back it up, hence the word conspiracy theory.The title of which would be, does boards have a pro Lisbon stance.But you don't know what my theory is, only what it is based upon.

Yes I asked 6th about this yesterday and I just thought Id ask for permission in here, so not to offend anyone, or get myself into trouble.

Any good conspiracy will have a theory to back it up, hence the word conspiracy theory.The title of which would be, does boards have a pro Lisbon stance.But you don't know what my theory is, only what it is based upon.

But any "evidence" or discussion of the subject would be pointless since it is an irrefutable fact that boards does not have any political stance whatsoever. Therefore any theory whatsoever on the subject is inherently not supported. It would be like starting a thread on how best to get a unicorn to breed with a sphinx. It is a completely pointless exercise.

I don't think you grasp the concept of conspiracy theory very well.

I don't think you grasp the concept of conspiracy theory very well.

I was under the impression it was to discuss things that might be possible and not by their very nature completely impossible

Very good,you just described my thread in a nutshell.

Very good,you just described my thread in a nutshell.

Then it is a matter regarding boards as an entity and belongs in the feedback forum, as 6th pointed out to you originally. Asking here for permission to start the thread on the conspiracy theories forum was not what he meant for you to do I think. Start the thread here where it belongs, not in the conspiracy theories forum, although you will just get the same answers as have been given here by several people already in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

To save time, the thread would go as follows:

The OP will be about Boards.ie having an agenda to push for a Yes vote in Lisbon. One or two users will agree, one or two users will disagree. Those against the conspiracy will demand proof. Those for it will reference the various anti-Lisbon users who have been banned/reprimanded. Those against the conspiracy will point out that those users were banned for other reasons. Those for the conspiracy will say that that is a smokescreen. The thread will then quickly turn into a thread about the merits/problems of Lisbon. The thread will be closed as it's no longer about a conspiracy, but just devolved into the usual pro/anti-Lisbon threads that are all over this site.

Advertisement