Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noticeable graffiti in the city

Options
  • 02-09-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hey,
    I do photography as a hobby, & I'm doing something on Dublin graffiti. Does anyone know anywhere that has some decent spots? It doesn't just have to be in the city centre.
    Thanks.

BTW, I didn't post this in the arts forum, because I'm told that considering it an "art" is a controversial topic.:rolleyes:

Actually, having mentioned that, if you don't have any info about areas with graffiti, just post a comment about what you think of it in general. I've heard some extreme views on both sides of the argument...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bernard Shaws on South Richmond St would be a good start, few pieces on the front, and if you go around the back there is tonnes, also there is loads in the yard at the back of the pub but I'd say you'd need to ask to get in there.

Along the Luas tracks down by Beechwood I think there is loads and obviously along train tracks.

There's load in Blanch down by the river under the motorway at the roadabout.

There's a few legal walls in Dublin aswell, one being Windmill Lane just off the Quays.

That's off the top of my head, I'll get more for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a bit on moss street too

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

There is a graffiti wall on island st just off the quays

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I saw something being painted on the side wall of the esb station on bedford road, just off fleet street. Im not sure what it was a painting off, never saw it finished

Bernard Shaws on South Richmond St would be a good start, few pieces on the front, and if you go around the back there is tonnes, also there is loads in the yard at the back of the pub but I'd say you'd need to ask to get in there.

Along the Luas tracks down by Beechwood I think there is loads and obviously along train tracks.

There's a few legal walls in Dublin aswell, one being Windmill Lane just off the Quays.

As promised; Tivoli Theatre (Francis St, Dublin 8) carpark, some amazing graffti in there, one that takes up the size of 3 floors. Along the canal near Croker is supposely good according to my mate whos one of Dublins biggest graffti artists.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

havana wrote: »
    There is a graffiti wall on island st just off the quays

Was just going to mention that one, I helped put it up.

The stuff in the Tivoli car park is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

Always breaks my heart to see a genuine work of art destroyed by some little f*cktard coming along and scrawling "STEO + DECO M8S 2009" or something equally neanderthal over the original work.

Urban graffiti could be a genuinely amazing addition to the city if it weren't for the section of muppets out there just making it look like urban decay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Always breaks my heart to see a genuine work of art destroyed by some little f*cktard coming along and scrawling "STEO + DECO M8S 2009" or something equally neanderthal over the original work.

Urban graffiti could be a genuinely amazing addition to the city if it weren't for the section of muppets out there just making it look like urban decay.

Who says its a work of art?

Its not painted on the "artist's" property or with the consent of the owner.
    The people who live across the road from it or who have to see it every day arent consulted,its not commisioned by anybody who WANTS to see it.
    Its the result of some wanker with a spray can's ego trip and is no worse than STEO + DECO M8S 2009 in that they're both acts of vandalism on somebody else's property.
    Why dont graffiti "artists" spray paint thier own houses(well,thier parents houses)?
    Bunch of arseholes..

Degsy wrote: »
    Who says its a work of art?

Its not painted on the "artist's" property or with the consent of the owner.
    The people who live across the road from it or who have to see it every day arent consulted,its not commisioned by anybody who WANTS to see it.
    Its the result of some wanker with a spray can's ego trip and is no worse than STEO + DECO M8S 2009 in that they're both acts of vandalism on somebody else's property.
    Why dont graffiti "artists" spray paint thier own houses(well,thier parents houses)?
    Bunch of arseholes..

Have you ever seen the graffti in the Tivoli, if so then you must be missing the point of "work of art"!

It mightn't be painted on the artist's property but a good few times it's painted with permission ala Bernard Shaws, The Tivoli, the legal walls, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

If you're over in that area, you may as well head to the building on the other side of the Luas tracks from the Hilton hotel, plenty of graffiti there.

• Advertisement

If you're over in that area, you may as well head to the building on the other side of the Luas tracks from the Hilton hotel, plenty of graffiti there.

Only ever seen in there at night but looks like there is a few decent pieces in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Have you ever seen the graffti in the Tivoli, if so then you must be missing the point of "work of art"!

It mightn't be painted on the artist's property but a good few times it's painted with permission ala Bernard Shaws, The Tivoli, the legal walls, etc...

i'm not talking about the stuff thats painted with permission.
    I'm talking about the shiite thats all over the place which amounts to nothing short of an eyesore.
    Not only does this rubbish look bad,it also has the effect of devaluing property..property,i hasten to add that graffiti "artists" dont own any of.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Degsy wrote: »
    i'm not talking about the stuff thats painted with permission.
    I'm talking about the shiite thats all over the place which amounts to nothing short of an eyesore.
    Not only does this rubbish look bad,it also has the effect of devaluing property..property,i hasten to add that graffiti "artists" dont own any of.

A distinction needs to be made between the ****e thats all over Dublin from the likes of Grift and mostly talentless taggers like that, and the artwork that can be seen in the Bernard Shaw and the Tivoli, and street art that great artists like Banksy, INSA, and the Irish Maser and Will St Ledger etc practise. I agree with what your saying Degsy that some, actually a lot of grafitti is unreadable scribbles written by talentless idiots, but some of it is great and beautiful art.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Hey, thanks for the tips guys:)

I've already checked out most of the areas. Some of it is really impressive (the car park in particular, I didn't expect them to be so big:eek:),
    but of course there are some other pieces which, imo, sort of just made the area feel kind of depressing...I think we all know the kinds I'm talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's a bit out but the old Blackrock baths are awash with graffiti these days, both inside and out.
    If you hop on the dart, the Blackrock stop is right beside the baths. To get in, it has to be low tide, but you can get out in high tide.
    You get in from the beach, either hop over one of he high walls, or climb through one of the holes in the walls. Once you're in you can walk straight into the changing rooms, but the sand that's left in the pool is mad sinky, so be careful of that.
    To get out, if its low tide, the way you got in.
    If it's high tide though, you have to get onto the roof, climb from the roof to a ledge over a door and it's about a 6 foot drop to he ground from there.

Bit dodgy all considered but it's a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

This is on a garage door on South William St. Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

there's a great piece on abbey st - or whatever abbey st become - between the four courts and the fruit market, it's the monoploy man being hauled away by the cops

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Also, just look up generally all over the city and you are bound to see some nice stuff on roof tops.

Some terrible stuff too, obviously.

Out by Blackhorse Luas Stop there's a warehouse with a tonne of decent graffti on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The other day while on the bus going into work I thought something looked different. They (presumably the council) appear to have removed all the scrawly graffiti from Amiens Street and Talbot Street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

In howth near the Peninsula there is a Warehouse with a load of pretty cool pieces on and in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

you know who has the best collection of grafitti photos, the council, they have a system where they have to photo on the work they do to remove it so and they've gone a big drive to get rid of it out of the city centre, so i'd loved to see that.

Completely forgot to mention the back of Whelans down Liberty Lane, some quality graff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Windmill Lane
    2791481449_6b38c107ba.jpg
    2790985490_2cf0b4f33a.jpg

Advertisement