Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAC make-up

• 02-09-2009 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

i am a huge fan of MAC but i was wondering, am I the only person seriously cheesed off at how ripped off we are here in ireland when it comes to the price of MAC??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I lived in Brussels for 6 months last year, and the MAC shop just off Avenue Louise was just as expensive as here. Though that was a seriosuly high-end street.

Bought some MAC in Harvey Nics in Edinburgh earlier this year and I think that it was a little bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

i am a huge fan of MAC but i was wondering, am I the only person seriously cheesed off at how ripped off we are here in ireland when it comes to the price of MAC??

No you're definitely not the only one. I don't buy MAC here unless I'm really stuck, always stock up in England or America. In general find it's 30-40% cheaper in London and 50-60% cheaper in America depending on where you buy.

It's not gonna change here though, their shops and stands are always crammed, they don't need to lower their prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Does anyone know if its cheaper in duty free and by how much?

I'm going on my first ever international flight in a few weeks and am wondering should i get it before or I leave or get it in one of the airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Yes its cheaper in the airport...not hugely but its cheaper. Only problem is most products are available but ive waited to buy stuff in the airport before and its not been there so your taking a gamble. They dont sell fake eyelashes in the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I got a consultation at a MAC counter in Brown Thomas, found the "perfect" foundation, got to the counter: "That will be €39 please." For a tiny, teeny little compact. They don't even sell refills which are usually a third cheaper than buying it with the case. But you really gotta love MAC. Their eyeliners are the best, I wouldn't recommend any other brand for them. MAC = WIN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

i was on the website (uk) earlier and i tried to buy something, but when it came to billing and shipping address, you must enter a postcode but we dont have have those here so all these addresses which are in england obviousl cam up. so does this mean we here in ireland cant buy online from the website???

i was in edinburgh few months ago too, and the savings were great, we worked out that we were saving roughly €9 on a foundation! :eek:

madness....

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DublinWan

i was in NY & Boston 3 weeks ago in mac awww man r we getting ripped off in ireland i no theyve to ship it and what not but how can they justify foundation being 26dollars which is probly around 22euro and they sell it at 32 or probly 33 now in dublin URRRGGGHHH so anoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

erm....I know, -_____- 15euro for a eye shadow

you can find discount ones online though, but it cost a good bit to ship over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

*giggles* wrote: »
    Their eyeliners are the best, I wouldn't recommend any other brand for them. MAC = WIN!

aww try out Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

It's so much cheaper in the States. I found Clinique is super-cheap over there too. I'm off into BTs today for a make over. Thinking of getting falsies and perhaps Greensmoke eyeshadow, it's an olive colour.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

MAC in Ireland is such a waste of money. I did a price-check during the week on a foundation - €26 online in Germany (probably €28 here), €21 in the UK and €18 in the US. It's really not worth paying that much extra for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

its not just MAC though, most makeup e.g. Benefit, is much cheaper in the US (& everywhere :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 starburstz

i could be making this up but is it true if you collect 6 empty bottles of their foundation you get something free? i don't think it's another foundation though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

they have a back2mac offer, where if you bring back 6 empty containers you can get a free lipstick in the back2mac selection. I could be mistaken, but they may have stopped doing that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

€13.50 for a shadow in the airport, as opposed to €15 in BT. They usually have all the mainline stuff.

In the prostore in London you can get a pan e/s for £7.50ish (palettes are £4 for 4shadow one, not sure on the 15pan), regular pot is £9.79.

The rip off here is astonishing.

if you want a few bits get the cheap train to Belfast (€20 return some days I think) and stock up in Debenhams in CastleCourt.

ETA - American brands are cheaper in the States (laura mercier primer is $22, £27 or €40!) but for example Clarins (french) is very dear in the US

Back2Mac is cancelled in Europe because they didn't renew their contratc with the recycling company AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DublinWan

starburstz wrote: »
    i could be making this up but is it true if you collect 6 empty bottles of their foundation you get something free? i don't think it's another foundation though.

its defo true ive done it lik 3 times now and u get a free kip-stick of ur choice-kinda gay nuff but wotever better than throwing them in the bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭Night_Prowler

Slightly off topic girls, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good concealer to cover dark shadow under the eye. Ive been using a rimmel stick for years but it just aint doint the trick anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

i was on the website (uk) earlier and i tried to buy something, but when it came to billing and shipping address, you must enter a postcode but we dont have have those here so all these addresses which are in england obviousl cam up. so does this mean we here in ireland cant buy online from the website???

i was in edinburgh few months ago too, and the savings were great, we worked out that we were saving roughly €9 on a foundation! :eek:

madness....

I usually just enter 00000 when this happens. I've gone as far as to put in my address and leave UK in as the default country and it still got here. That's a bit risky, but the 00000 for postcode always works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Slightly off topic girls, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good concealer to cover dark shadow under the eye. Ive been using a rimmel stick for years but it just aint doint the trick anymore

Hi OP, I've read a couple of reviews about this:
    http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT157&PRODUCT_ID=278

It's supposed to work wonders for everything, from covering blemishes to those nasty under-eye shadows. It's a bit pricey, but it's supposed to last ages. Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Much better off trying Benefit, even with shipping from US the prices are much better and if you spend over 115 dollers i think you get free international shipping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I have those dark circle things and the Yves St Laurent Touche Éclat really is the only thing that works for me, mind you I've never tried mac make up.

Is MAC really as good as the hype? Granted, the counters looks great and all the nice colours-but is it worth it? I've got chronic dry skin and am wondering if its worth investing in a new make up brand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Try the new Bourjois one, it's a decent price and is moisturising enough without being sticky, worth a try!

I buy a lot of expensive make up but sometimes you're just buying it cause you assume it's better, the high street brands do some great stuff!

Advertisement