Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muse and related conspiracy theories...

• 02-09-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Note: Please read the full post before declaring 'this isn't the music forum'.

Subject: For those not familiar, Muse is an alternative (but not obscure) UK band and Resistance is their latest album due for release in a few weeks. The lyrics of many of their songs are inspired by lead vocal Mathew Bellamy's interest in conspiracy theory and science fiction. Mathew Bellamy is a strong advocate of geoism and could also be categorized as a ‘911 truther’ (is this a derogatory term btw?). Resistance is perhaps the most political and avant-garde in terms of conspiracy theory.

Examples:
    Select lyrics from Black Holes & Revelations album...
    In relation to Project Bluebeam: Open skies over me, I have waited patiently, I wait for a sign. As conspiracies unwind. Will you slam shut, Or free your mind, or stay hypnotised. When the zetas fill the skies, Will our leaders tell us why, Fully loaded satelites, We'll tell you nothing but our minds. And I've waited patiently, And I wait for the sign. Carried through the centuries, Secrets locked up, And loaded on my back, Well it weights me down ... When the zetas fill the skies, It's just our leaders in disguise

In relation to revolt: War is overdue. The time has come for you. To shoot your leaders down. Join forces underground. Lose control. In increasing pace. Wantonly waste. Intention erased. Whatever they say. These people are torn. Wild and bereft. Assassin is born (yeah). Appose and disagree. Destroy Demonocracy.

In relation to the All Seeing Eye: Can I believe. When I don't trust. All your theories. Turn to dust. I choose to hide. From the all seeing eye. Destroy this City of Delusion. Break these walls down. I will fight. Justify my reasons. With your blame. You'll not rest, Settle for less, Until you guzzle and squander what’s left. You're not divine. Yet you live and let die.

In relation to government: … Cast a spell on the country you run … Our freedom is consuming itself … What we will become is contrary to what we want … You must pay for your crimes against the earth.

In relation to war: … Cause there’s no one left for us to blame. It’s a shame we're all dying. And do you think you deserve your freedom. How could you send us all far away from home. When you know damn well that this is all. I would still lay down my life for you. And do you think you deserve your freedom. No I don’t think you do. There’s no justice in the world. There’s no justice in the world. And there never was.

Select lyrics from Resistance album...
    I don’t want to lose rapport due to the volume of text so we’ll only examine two select songs. The lyrics of all of the songs can be found here.

In relation to uprising: The paranoia is in bloom, the PR. The transmissions will resume. They'll try to push drugs. Keep us all dumbed down and hope that. We will never see the truth around. Another promise, another scene, another. A package not to keep us trapped in greed With all the green belts wrapped around our minds. And endless red tape to keep the truth confined. They will not force us. They will stop degrading us. They will not control us. We will be victorious. Interchanging mind control. Come let the revolution take its toll if you could. Flick the switch and open your third eye, you'd see that. We should never be afraid to die. Rise up and take the power back, it's time that. The fat cats had a heart attack, you know that. Their time is coming to an end. We have to unify and watch our flag ascend.

In relation to globalism: And these wars they can't be won. And do you want them to go on, on and on? Why split these states when there can be only one? And must we do as we're told? And must we do as we're told? You and me fall in line. To be punished for unproven crimes. And we know there is no one we can trust. Our ancient heroes they are turning to dust. And these wars they can never be won. Does anyone know or care how they begun? They just promise to go on, and on and on. But soon we will see there can only be one. United States … of Eurasia!

Opinion: I came for the music but stayed for the lyrics. After listening to Black Holes & Revelations a few times I at first thought it was a case of selective hearing. The new Resistance album seems to have a stronger and more obvious agenda.

Question: Has anyone else been following the lyrics of Muse and if not what are your thoughts on their lyrics? What do you think the band's agenda is (cash in on what worked for the last album, genuine message or shouldn't be taken too seriously)? Despite being a huge fan since Origin of Symmetry I’m still approaching this discussion objectively. Furthermore I'm open to correction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭ilivetolearn

To add a little more context here's a legal thirty second preview of each song from the upcoming album:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Not familiar with all their stuff, but I have seen them live. Not really my bag but they are phenomenal musicians no doubt. Those lyrics, on paper, are bit lame. I'm sure they sound a bit more convincing over their typically bombastic arrangements, but they read a bit Thom Yorke-lite. Radiohead circa Hail to the Thief covered similar ground but more artfully as far as the lyrics at least.

I'd say Jim Corr is a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭ilivetolearn

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Not familiar with all their stuff, but I have seen them live. Not really my bag but they are phenomenal musicians no doubt. Those lyrics, on paper, are bit lame. I'm sure they sound a bit more convincing over their typically bombastic arrangements, but they read a bit Thom Yorke-lite. Radiohead circa Hail to the Thief covered similar ground but more artfully as far as the lyrics at least.

I'd say Jim Corr is a fan.

:) Yep, the lyrics certainly sound less 'lame' when performed rather than read. What are you're thought on it in the context of conspiracy theory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

:) Yep, the lyrics certainly sound less 'lame' when performed rather than read. What are you're thought on it in the context of conspiracy theory?

it's interesting if it's a dominant theme of theirs, and not something I was aware of. as I said I don't think much of the quoted lyrics, they don't seem to really go anywhere or to express much more than paranoia. as the fella said though, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Advertisement