Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

negative edge,

• 02-09-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

only found out it works in sf4 !
    works for ex, supers and ULTRAS ! which is great !

negative edge is where you hold on to the button, then perform the motion on your joystick and release button

eg ryu: hold punch, then QCF, then let go of punch, HADOUKEN !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I used to use this, and still do online, when I missed ultras quite a bit to ultra through fireballs as boxer because if you mess up you get a turn punch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Quite useful for Bison's ultra as if you negative edge it there's no chance a teleport will come out instead (or so Azza told me I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im way behind, ive only played 62 hours, in total according to my sf4 profile counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Congrats dude... but this has been around since the original street fighter :( & SF4 is no different... try ultra releasing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Xinkai wrote: »
    Congrats dude... but this has been around since the original street fighter :( & SF4 is no different... try ultra releasing :D
    Placebo wrote: »
    only found out it works in sf4 !

He knows its been around forever. He was saying he didn't know it worked in sf4.

Personally, I don't need to use it because I use Turbo on my Three button punch to help stop teleport coming out instead of ultra. Works a treat as I've pretty much eliminated that mistake from my game. Once in a blue moon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Turbo noob :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kirby wrote: »
    He knows its been around forever. He was saying he didn't know it worked in sf4.

Personally, I don't need to use it because I use Turbo on my Three button punch to help stop teleport coming out instead of ultra. Works a treat as I've pretty much eliminated that mistake from my game. Once in a blue moon.

Even in the tournaments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah ye can't beat the piano input. When I first started using that in ST my reversal success rate went from never to practically always. Absolutely invaluable for command throws too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm not even sure HOW that's helping you out, Kirby - maybe you just got better at ending your dpad motion on F instead of D/F?

basically, i dont have to worry about timing the button press. Just hold it down and mash out the motion. the game will do the rest.

For example, I knock my opponent over. Hes on the ground. I dash forward, And while sims is dashing, I hold down PPP and do QCF. When the dash stops, the move comes out. Simples. works on wake up too and also when you jump.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You won't get away with that in a tournament. You need to replace that with pianoing.

Its a weak man who complains about control schemes when he loses.:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No it's just that it's banned in tournaments, definitely evo anyway. You beat me fair and square and pianoing is the same thing but just a more acceptable way of getting the same effect.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

I think its pretty much banned in most fighting tournaments world wide.

Probably do a vote on it before the next tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Turbo is cheating.

No doubt.

Next we'll have someone mapping a button to throw and setting it to turbo so they can throw tech 100% of the time.

Turbo is cheating.

Several people bind focus or throw to one button. How is that any different?

Seriously, Its not like im using Honda or Blanka with electricity or hand slap. I use the slowest character in the game. I average about 6 attacks a minute :p

Its a function on the equipment. Its not doing anything that your fingers arent capable of. If you are going to start limiting equipment where does it end? What about 3 punch buttons? how is that any different?

slippery slope. Soon We will be banning akuma for a "stupid fast heavy kick" :p

The guys up north have it banned. There also suppose to ban button binding but they let that one slide.

I'm actually one the few that uses the 3p/3k button. I always thought it was generally frowned upon and banned in other games but that SF IV was designed with it in mind. However I realize that the 3p/3k buttons where introduced for the home console version and did not exist on arcade cabinets. I can imagine it was designed with console controllers in mind where pressing all 3 buttons together would be awkward.

The more I use the 3p/3k, the more I think its putting me in bad habits. I think the extra distance my fingers have to cover make throw tech-ing harder. So I'm going switch over to the 3 button press system.

You are allowed set a single button for taunts, focus attack and throws so I don't really have any issue with that. After all ST had one button press for throw. Everyone has access to all these options as well.

Button binding is in the game though. If i used turbo i could just get people in electricity loops without any bother. Hardly fair.

Im pretty sure you can bind buttons in evo too. Am i right?

basically, i dont have to worry about timing the button press. Just hold it down and mash out the motion. the game will do the rest.

For example, I knock my opponent over. Hes on the ground. I dash forward, And while sims is dashing, I hold down PPP and do QCF. When the dash stops, the move comes out. Simples. works on wake up too and also when you jump.

Would definitely prefer if this was banned at tourneys from now on - no offense Kirby as it wasn't banned before but I'd definitely consider this unfair. It's different to button binds because you need the controller to do it... if you say yourself "you don't have to worry about timing" or whatever I don't see how you couldn't agree. Timing is basically the entirety of fighting games.

Your hardly fair anyway Bush, you use Blanka, he's so OP he can almost beat DAN!

• Advertisement

you cant piano tap on a pad. You can on a stick. Surely, sticks should be banned due to this unfair advantage? :p

If somebody wants to use a Nueral brain interface to control their character, I don't mind. Ultimately, its about the player and not his equipment or bindings. I've been down this road before in others games because my mouse has more buttons and I can fill it with macro's. :rolleyes: Seriously people, the option is there for everyone to use it. Moaning about peoples setups just smacks of bad sportmanship.

I don't have an issue with bush using it for blanka electricity or chopper using it for honda slap. The feature is on the official controllers. If they didn't intend you to use it, it wouldn't be there. Just like the 3 punch buttons and kicks. Its not breaking the game, just making execution easier. Instead of having to press three buttons, you press one. Whats the big deal? It always struck me as petty tbh. If you want to hit all three buttons, thats fine. But that shouldnt mean I cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Button binding ok by SuperVSBattle. I think it's ok - as Kirby says, almost impossible to do on a joypad with the button layout unless you switch controls to: LT, RT and face button to punch / kick or something similar. Sticks do not face such a problem as it's just as easy to slam three fingers down at once as press one button.

🤪

Ill never understand why they put turbo on the official stick, weird choice.

If it makes people feel better, Ill turn it to semi on my triggers instead of turbo :p. slows down the button presses and give it a delay between presses. Its like morse code :) Makes it so you cant do stuff like electricity. Moot point tho, Dhalsim doesn't have any moves like that.

You should definately come to this weekends casuals mate. Bring your keyboard. I dont think ive ever fought a keyboard player before so it would be cool. Though, having seen your boxer skills with all your vids you would probably rip my silly stretchy dude up. All the G1 boxers are giving me trouble at the moment. :D

Whats your tag on GFWL btw? Would be cool to have a few games. :)

Button binding is fine. No one here has an issue with the in game button binding. No one is suggesting we ban it for SF IV. Perhaps other games but not in SF IV 4 as they are integrated into the actual game.

Turbo is another story. You could just say its help improving execution but I could get some macro for the pc version to preform some super damaging combo at the press of a single button and say hey I could do that but the macro just helpes with execution. I know Turbo isn't as massive an advantage but it still is a slight advantage, that not everyone has access to.

Its not unsportmanship, its the generally accepted rule in fighting tournaments world wide.

It will be put to a vote to be fair, even though I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome will be. Besides from your description of when you use it I'm sure a small amount of practice would resolve the issue of teleporting by accident.

As i said, if it bothers people I wont use it. But its not giving me an advantage so I dont see how it would do. I play sim for god sake. he has the attack speed of a tortoise. :rolleyes:

Kirby wrote:
    But its not giving me an advantage
    Kirby wrote:
    basically, i dont have to worry about timing the button press. Just hold it down and mash out the motion.

There is your advantage. It has to be given you an advantage otherwise why would you use it.

If one person is allowed to use it then everyone would have to be allowed and other characters may gain a considerable more advantage out of it then you are getting out of it with Dhalsim.

What i meant by "worrying about the timing" was ending up in a forward motion on the dpad. It works the same way without turbo, you just repeatedly press punch while doing QCF. Like repeatedly charging scissors kick on wakeup...you do it several times to make sure the game engine accepts it. I think i described it badly in my original post. :p Its just mashing the input while in the air or on wake-up....like buffering akuma's Ultra while in the air if ya get me.

• Advertisement

The fact is it's banned in every tournament worth it's salt and if we want to be taken seriously well we should stick to the rules that have become accepted at these tournaments. It's obviously banned for a reason and it seems you are getting an advantage in execution from it. I think turbo is on the controllers becasue it excellent for shmuos.

Apart (possibly) from mash moves, I still fail to see how Turbo can give one player an execution advantage.

Sshh. quiet you. Your logic has no place in this here thread. :p

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Apart (possibly) from mash moves, I still fail to see how Turbo can give one player an execution advantage.

One frame links though obviously I don't think Kirby is doing this

I just tested turbo in training and it makes chain combo's a lot easier. Yes chain combos are easy by nature but to get the maximum number of hits in a chain combo is quite tricky and requires timing, where as turning turbo on made it easy to get the maximum number of hits as each moves cancels into each other as soon as its possible to do so.

Probably helps with certain link combos too.

I can imagine some turbo settings are different speeds on different sticks made by different manufacturers. If you had a stick that enabling turbo allowed the player to hold a button and input a command during every possible frame that allowed you to input then link combos would be become stupidly easy.
    Kirby wrote:
    Sshh. quiet you. Your logic has no place in this here thread.

I'd imagine the organizers of all the major international tournament have gone over the topic in depth. They all have banned turbo from tournaments. I'm sure they have very logical reasons for banning it.
    Drebbybajs wrote:
    One frame links though obviously I don't think Kirby is doing this
    I don't think the madcatz pads and sticks turbo is fast enough to help in tight links. It doesn't register an input every frame so it would still require precise timing. However there could be other sticks with faster turbo's that could be a massive advantage in this area.

As I said, it never occurred to me that it would be bothering people.

There are variable settings on mine. If I slowed it down so that stuff like electricity and stuff didn't work, would that make a difference? Probably not but I can't piano tap on a pad and it would be a complete pain to have to buy a stick and relearn at this stage :(

• Advertisement

@Azza: by definition, CHAIN combos are really just "mash & it comes out", so you'd get similar results from just hitting the buttons. Plus they can NOT be Special/Super cancelled, so major damage is prevented.

LINK combos are SUPER-precise (SRK Wiki defines them as: "Link combos are possible when frame advantage from a leading move matches or exceeds that of the move to be linked."), and here is where Turbo won't help.

So I still stand by "Turbo is not inherently bad for normal execution".

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    LINK combos are SUPER-precise (SRK Wiki defines them as: "Link combos are possible when frame advantage from a leading move matches or exceeds that of the move to be linked."), and here is where Turbo won't help.

Then how come I can go into trials in SF4, turn on turbo, and do an awful lot of the link stuff just by holding the button down? :pac:

edit: And Kirby reversal timing is so lenient in SF4 that you don't really even need to piano anyway imo

Yes mash a button to get a chain works, but mashing isn't precise enough to get the maximum number of hits out of a chain. For example try this combo with Bison, j.mk, 3xc.lp, 2xs.lp. You will find it quite easy to get the 3 hits of the c.lp and the first s.lp but the last s.lp is quite tricky. But with turbo its extremely easy.

Moving on to links. If a turbo is fast enough to register an input every frame (i.e one input per frame), you could hold a button down. So say with Bison's c.lk link combos which is a 2 frame link, you would hold the button down and the very first frame you could register an input after the first c.lk is finished you will get the next c.lk starting up this making link combo super easy.

I feel fairly comfortable against boxer when they dont have meter...and usually stuff them on the way in. But once they get a few bars, I tend to spend too much time waiting for the EX rush that I get hit by jump ins. You will probably find you are better than you give yourself credit for.
    Azza wrote: »
    So say with Bison's c.lk link combos which is a 2 frame link, you would hold the button down and the very first frame you could register an input after the first c.lk is finished you will get the next c.lk starting up this making link combo super easy.
    Go into training and put input display on and try it. Im betting its not as easy as you think it is :D.

Go into training and put input display on and try it. Im betting its not as easy as you think it is :D.

He was saying hypothetically if it was fast enough, not that that particular turbo button is indeed fast enough, you only quoted the bit after that.

• Advertisement

I realise he was speaking hypothetically, but I was just making the point that TheoryFighter is not the same as doing it in a match and stuff.

Kirby read my other posts, I already said the Madcatz sticks and pads turbo setting isn't fast enough to do that and even with turbo on would still require precise timing. But if another manufacture has a pad or stick that can register an input every frame with its turbo option then it would work like I explained. The speed of the turbo feature is up to the manufacturer and has nothing to do with the game.

And I already proved my point about chains.

fair enough. Anyway, we have gone a little offtopic. We should create a seperate Turbo bashing thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

real tournaments in japan take place on cabinets,

no turbo, no button binding.
    Both are illegals in major tournaments. Thats all i was aware of.

assigning PPP to one button, maybe be suitable when use a pad but theres no need for it and as AZZA mentioned, its definitely a bad habit, im keeping away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Same for myself. I've always used the three finger combo, but for me I always found it easier than trying to use a fourth button attached to a Px3. I hate sticks with a fourth button line-up which is why I'll be removing them from my TE stick soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Monkeyto wrote: »
    I hate sticks with a fourth button line-up which is why I'll be removing them from my TE stick soon enough.

You and me both! Hori ex2 ftw :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Took the lazy way after I bought a stick and mapped PPP to one of the 'spare' buttons on the SE stick.

Have been practicing with the 3 button approach. While different, it doesn't take a huge amount to readjust, initially thought I may remove the 'extra,' buttons'

If I did how would these be filled does anyone know?

A-Trak wrote: »

If I did how would these be filled does anyone know?

You can buy plugs for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

A-Trak wrote: »
    Have been practicing with the 3 button approach. While different, it doesn't take a huge amount to readjust, initially thought I may remove the 'extra,' buttons'

Agreed. I forced myself to get out of the habit and have found I'm better for it. from watching my inputs in training, I noticed sometimes when moving my hand to do a focus I'd rub off the KKK button and it would throw off the FADC.

After about 10 minutes of training hitting all 3 buttons I'd retrained my muscle memory. That being said, I do think people on controllers, especially with only 4 face buttons, should be given extra consideration. They don't have the luxury of being able to use all their fingers on their right hand for button presses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Agreed,

Banning the mapping of PPP/KKK for pad users would cripple their game, in effect stopping them using ultras/supers/teleports, unless they had some sort of lobster claw like hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement