Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Kerouac - On The Road

Options
  • 02-09-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

Read this in a flurry when i was 18 and loved every detail of the epicness and direct story telling... Now 5 years later i reread it and im still in love with it.. Im gonna be changing my lifestyle drastically over the next month,; leaving job, going travelling etc.. and might reread it on the road...

Jus wondering if this book every made anyone leave their job and be implusive and do things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

The book certainly filled me with an urge to start really living. He describes those good times fantastically. That dean moriarty though, what a selfish fellow!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Took it on every trip I went on for about 10 years. :)

Still have a copy lying about of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

one of these books where I really dont 'get' why its so famous tbh

While its not a bad book, I really dont see what makes it so amazing that its an important part of popular culture..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Madou

Yup, read it two years ago and left Ireland two years ago - been bouncing about since really. Reading about Neal Cassady will do that I suppose.

The energy of the writing in that book is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wauners

Yup that book is the bible, If you can't understand it you never will. I was born in san Francisco and when I read the book I felt as if wrenched from the depths of my stomach to go back to the states and hitchike clean across the country...... deffinitely take it with you on your travels man but see if you can get the original scroll version It's unedited and raw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

Of the countless books I've read, this became only the second I couldn't finish.

It was that boring !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

My copy of On The Road is bruised and battered. I must have read it about seven or eight times. The energy in it is amazing, though it wasn't published till Kerouac was in his 30's. Bring this book on the road with you. Go, go, go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I read this book last summer when i was road tripping around America for 2 months..... Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

encouraged me to do what I really wanted, and not just in the "mmmmm....I'll have the apple tart" way either.
    went to see the original scroll in dublin last febuary, it was memorable......

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭mountain

Neal Cassadys wife wrote her version of life, called Off the road,
    which tells her story while she coped with the men being away,it was turned into a movie starring Nick Nolte, called Heartbeat

Find a copy of the book, if you want to read the other side of the story...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

mountain wrote: »
    Neal Cassadys wife wrote her version of life, called Off the road,
    which tells her story while she coped with the men being away,it was turned into a movie starring Nick Nolte, called Heartbeat

Find a copy of the book, if you want to read the other side of the story...

Off the Road really sheds light on the differences between fiction & reality in On the Road, especially the differences between Hal & Jack. It's worth reading if you're into that part of literary history.

Ah man, last time I read On the Road I was 14 or 15. A teacher told me not to read it 'cause it would make me want to leave school, he was clearly taking the piss but I felt like a super-rebel :cool: It was probably the book that first showed me that literature and that life could be exciting. I'm very sentimental about it. I feel like I should read it again but I don't think I'll get the same giddiness from it now that I'm a little older.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

'On the Road' - pure muck

Out of date, no plot, no structure, filled with unlikeable self-absorbed characters.

Truman Capote was right about this: "thats not writing at all. its typing."

All said its a good historical document of that period in US.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Well I'm currently rereading it and if it's merely typing I only wish I could type that well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Well I'm currently rereading it and if it's merely typing I only wish I could type that well.

judging by the one post of yours that ive read you probably can write better than Kerouac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Read this in a flurry when i was 18 and loved every detail of the epicness and direct story telling... Now 5 years later i reread it and im still in love with it.. Im gonna be changing my lifestyle drastically over the next month,; leaving job, going travelling etc.. and might reread it on the road...

Jus wondering if this book every made anyone leave their job and be implusive and do things?

Like Kerouac, it will be useful to have a Mother or Aunt who will wire you money whenever you run out during your travels. ;) I always thought that aspect of the story undermined his credibility a bit.

judging by the one post of yours that ive read you probably can write better than Kerouac
    Thanks Cliff.
    Can I ask which post you're referring to?:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Thanks Cliff.
    Can I ask which post you're referring to?:o

probably the reply you made to my initial post

you have got to believe in yourself hermy...you can be the next kerouac

probably the reply you made to my initial post

you have got to believe in yourself hermy...you can be the next kerouac