Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vandalism in Lifford

Options
  • 02-09-2009 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

The lights at the Three Coins monument at Lifford roundabout were vandalised at the weekend, even though they were set in concrete. The event was caught on CCTV and as far as I know there were 3 morons involved - they risked being electrocuted for their fun. Mind you, I'm doing my best here not to have wished it on them and it's a struggle :mad:
    Myself and the OH were just discussing this attack and wondering what was the mindset here? What goes through the little grey cells of these low-lifes as they decide to commit such a crime against the community? What the hell is the point :confused:
    I sincerely hope that if anyone is heard boasting about this that whoever hears reports them to the guards right away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

What goes through the little grey cells of these low-lifes as they decide to commit such a crime against the community? What the hell is the point :confused:

Thats the problem, nothing but tumble weeds rolls through the heads of these little thugs. They also know if they are caught in the act they'll get either a reprimand or a small fine, probably €100, there is no deterrent. If they though they would get a good kicking if caught, there might be some hesitation. But alas, kids (i would say they were under 18) are untouchable (by both the public and garda) and run riot as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Very sad state of affairs and its becoming all too common.

Oh, and Senna, Im watching that ad of yours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Bring back the chain gangs! :)

Have to agree with earlier comments, there's just not enough of a deterrent. I don't wish to see a police state, but mindless vandalism is such a waste of resources. The Three Coins are a part of a series of twelve sculptures, commisioned by Strabane District Council & Donegal County Council. They are a great focal point, and topic of conversation, for locals and tourists alike. I think we sometimes underestimate the value these items add to a community. I really hope these "people" get a harsh lesson from the law.

muffler wrote: »

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I would hazard a guess that the gardai have a fairly good to very good idea who is resposible but can't touch them because of their age or more lightly the fact that their parents would alibi them. The "oh no not my little Jimmy" atitude is way to prevalent these days. I remember growing up in Lifford and several times parents (not mine before someone says it) marching their sons down to the barracks to own up for something they had done.

Parents can often be the greatest deterant but let's face it when parents don't give a dam it is one genetic trait that is most definately passed on in full measure. When and if these morons are caught they should be named. Embarass the whole dam family. Shame them. This might give the parents and other like minded teens and parents a deterant. Of course the 'can't be named for legal reasons' line will be used.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I woudln't be so quick to say it was kids. It could also be a bunch of lads just out of the pub half drunk who decided it'd be a "funny" thing to do. Maybe not even Lifford residents.

Shame really, when efforts made to spruce up locations are just shat on, not just in Lifford, but other towns. Some just don't have respect for their local areas or areas they may visit.

I agree with irish1967.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

muffler wrote: »

:D
    edit; just seen that :o .

p.s are you following me

<<looks left<< >>looks right>>

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Scumbags.

Now, call me cynical but this will happen again whether or not these guys are caught. It will happen because of lack of deterrents. Has anybody ever noticed the the lack of a Garda presence in Lifford? Ever tried getting in to the Garda station? That's a big part of the problem right there. People will act the bollox because they know the chances of getting caught are practically non-existant.

And, if by some strange twist of fate, they do get caught, what will happen then? Some lily livered liberal minded Judge will fine them €100. Again, no deterrent.

I also agree with what irish1967 said regarding the parents.

Has anyone heard that Lifford Garda barracks is to close?

We wouldn't notice if it was.

smashey wrote: »
    We wouldn't notice if it was.
    :D

You might notice if you heard who is supposed to be "moving in"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

smashey wrote: »
    Scumbags.

Now, call me cynical but this will happen again whether or not these guys are caught. It will happen because of lack of deterrents. Has anybody ever noticed the the lack of a Garda presence in Lifford? Ever tried getting in to the Garda station? That's a big part of the problem right there. People will act the bollox because they know the chances of getting caught are practically non-existant.

How I wish that wasn't true, Smashey, but you're absolutely right :( I really don't know what the answer is, but as you and Irish1967 have said, the parents are first in line when it comes to delivering consequences. If they can't or won't do anything, there is no point in whingeing about the schools or the guards or the government or the tooth fairy.
    I think we need a zero tolerance approach that begins with dropping a sweetie paper or pulling leaves off a bush - the environment and the amenities belong to everyone in the community and no one has the right to muck that up or cause any damage. The ONLY ones in a position to enforce that message from the beginning are parents. By the time little Johnny/Mary gets to school at 5, it's almost too late to intervene with any kind of citizenship or sense of communal responsibility :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dublin2Donegal

in the two years i am living in lifford i have to say i have only ever seen the garda out and about twice :eek: so i would only have to agree with smashey. (and he knows my sister):P

i really taught the garda station had closed its doors to the public

In his prime he knew many a persons sister. ;)

oh from what i have heard i would beleive that:D

in the two years i am living in lifford i have to say i have only ever seen the garda out and about twice :eek: so i would only have to agree with smashey. (and he knows my sister):P

i really taught the garda station had closed its doors to the public
    What about Josie? :pac:
    irish1967 wrote: »
    In his prime he knew many a persons sister. ;)
    oh from what i have heard i would beleive that:D

Banned. :cool:

lol. Wasnt till after posting that, that I remembered I knew Smashey's sister for a while. :)

Josie? who is josie

All together now....

"I don't why why she's leaving, or where she's gonna go,
    I guess she's got her reasons but I just don't wanna know,
    'Cause for twenty four years I've been living next door to Alice Josie.
    Twenty four years, just waitin' for a chance,
    To tell her how I'm feeling, maybe get a second glance,
    Now I've gotta get used to not living next door to Alice Josie.

Josie, Josie - who da .... etc. " :D

Josie? who is josie
    Aye, I phased my last post all wrong. :D

I know who your sister is and I should have said not to forget about Josie.

Just curious, has anyone been charged with the damage? Has it been repaired yet?
    I'll be passing through there tomorrow, thinking of stopping for a look.

• Advertisement

Nobody charged yet as far as I know.

Right, we are back on topic again.

still not fixed as of yet and i have not heard of anyone being charged,

smashey no need to bring josie into it:p hows things with you anyway

Came through there last night, and the lights are still strewn about. :(
    Those lights where encased in concrete, so the morons had to go to some effort to pull them out of the ground! That's just ridiculous.
    As my Dad used to say, "a kicking would be too good for them!" - but I don't condoin violence in any manner ;)

Advertisement