Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pharmaceutical and forensics??

Options
  • 02-09-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Anyone have any reviews or experience with this course? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smileyscientist

Hey, having just graduated from the course with a first class honours I can highly recommend it. The course combines all aspects of forensic science and pharmaceutical technology in a really detailled manner. The fundamental thrust of the course is directed at analysis which therefore means that lab sessions comprise approx 50% of the course. Its really interesting but suited only to students who both really apply themselves to study as the material content is pretty tough at times and who have an intertest in BOTH areas.
    I would strongly advise that have studied chemistry and/or biology at LC level as I hadn't studied either but had done physics instead and was at a total loss.:( There are chem, bio and phys subjects in first yr. Jobswise, the outlook is extremely positive(apart from now!:D) as you will have a double degree with skills that any employer would be very happy to have amoungst their workforce and the course also is a great grounding for further reserch in a chosen field. It is also worth mentioning that there is a 6 month work placement in the 3rd yr which is extremley useful in gaining a foothold in the competitve science industry. Hope this helps!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lpk123

It's a great course, but I think a lot of students suffer from romanticised ideas about Forensics. I graduated 2 years ago, and I'm still unable to get a job (and I got a good result); perhaps it's the current job market being the pits, but I'm going to hazard a guess that working in a Pharmaceutical lab for the rest of my life simply doesn't appeal. Once you're not kidding yourself that you'll be working in Forensics, then the course is fine. We were in second year when the hard news was broken to us that we'd all be working in pharmaceutical labs, and it's true; most of my class are working in those kinds of labs, others went back to college to do something completely different, and some just aren't working in anything related.

Honestly, I felt duped. People applying should be made aware of the fact that you're basically doing a course that'll get you the same job as a basic Chemistry degree.

Also, assuming some of the lecturers are still there; some are fine, but others (and I'm thinking of who I was landed with for final year project) make it really difficult. Oh, and the college also suffers from the "It's all about who you know" attitude at times.

Advertisement