Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favorite/Best Premier Ship 11

• 02-09-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭

Was flicking through the channels earlier and seen QPR v Chelsea
    from years ago and seen a lot of players that I haven't heard of since
    so I thought I would start up this thread.

Can Be Any 11 (+ 5-7 Subs if ya want) that you think are the best/favorite
    that have had an impact on you. Mine would be..

.........................Schmeichel

Neville........Adams..........Desailly.......Irwin

....................Essien........Viera

Ronaldo............Bergkamp/Cantona..........Sinclair

...................Henry/Shearer

Subs:
    12. Given
    13. Keown
    14. Bruce
    15. Keane
    16. Gerrard
    17. Henry/Shearer
    18. Ruud Van Nilstleroy

Loads more but can't fit them in.

What would be yours?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Arsenal bias but Neville still got in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

JPA wrote: »
    Arsenal bias but Neville still got in there?
    Yup, have to say he was quality.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,887 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sinclair:confused:
    What's your basis for including him (I can at least see some merit in each of your other choices)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Schmeichel

Neville--Stam--Vidic--Irwin

Ronaldo-Keane-Scholes-Giggs

Henry--Cantona

Cech
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Essien
    Bergkamp
    Beckham
    Shearer.

No bias at all.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Beasty wrote: »
    What's your basis for including him (I can at least see some merit in each of your other choices)?

Says "favourite", not "best"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Beasty wrote: »
    Scored a few goals that I admire and played more than decent in the games I
    seen him play.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,887 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Schmeichel

Neville--Stam--Vidic--Irwin

Ronaldo-Keane-Scholes-Giggs

Henry--Cantona

Cech
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Essien
    Bergkamp
    Beckham
    Shearer.

No bias at all.... :D
    I would have chosen Van Nistlerooy ahead of Henry, and Van der Saar ahead of Cech on the bench (must be my Dutch bias:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Van Der Sar
    Neville--Ferdinand--Vidic--Irwin
    Becham--Keane--Bergkamp--Giggs
    Henry--Van Nistelrooy

Pretty much my favourite United team with Bergkamp and Henry in for good measure;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Schmeichel
    nev----carragher --adams---Irwin
    Ronaldo--scholes--keane---ginola
    shearer----cantona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Schmeichel
    Neville--Pallister--Vidic--Irwin

Kanchelskes--Keano--Scholes--Giggs

Cantona--Shearer

Subs
    Van der Sar
    Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Matt le Tissier
    Bruce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Schmiechel
    Neville-Stam-Adams-Irwin
    Viera-Keane
    Ronaldo-Gerrard-Henry
    Van Nistelrooy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Nets:Schmeichel
    Defence:Stam,Adams,Terry
    Midfield:Ronaldo,Keane,Gerrard,Fabregas,Giggs
    Forwards:Shearer,Bergkamp

Subs:Beckham,Solksjaer,Pires,Henry,Ferdinand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Found it hard to mix the old school and new but went with..as my favourite (think might just be biased)...

Schmeichel
    ---Neville
    Bruce
    Pallister
    Irwin
    ---Beckham
    Keane
    Scholes
    Giggs

Cantona
    Solskjaer

Subs: Kanchelskis, Ronaldo, Rooney, Vidic, Ruud, VDS, Stam.

For best I'd say:

Schmeichel
    --Irwin
    Adams
    Terry
    Pearce--
    --Gerrard----Keane
    Vieira
    Giggs----
    Henry
    Shearer

Subs:
    Bergkamp, Pires, Scholes, Beckham, Stam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

This thread got me looking at other "Best XIs", and I have found this one from the BBC in 2002 (based on the Opta Index).

James
    Carr---Campbell--Lebouf--Harte
    Beckham--Scholes--Keane--Pires
    Di Canio---Yorke

What amused me was this:
    Right-back: Stephen Carr

The Spurs defender was rumoured to be on Barcelona's hit-list at one point and is certainly a threat going forward.

But, again, there are more deserving players, such as Lee Dixon, Gary Neville and Danny Mills.

and
    Left-back: Ian Harte

Is there a finer striker of a dead ball in Britain?

The Leeds defender has attributes in both defence and attack, which is no doubt why Juve are allegedly interested in the Republic of Ireland international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Schmiechel

Irwin
    Stam
    Vidic
    Evra

Kanchelskis
    Keane----Scholes----Giggs

Cantona
    Hughes

My eleven favourite players in each position and what a team. Full of skill, pace and more than anything a bunch of hard b*stards that no one would dare f*ck with.:pac:

Non-United:

Seaman

Dixon
    Adams
    Desailly
    Pearce

Gullit
    Vieira

----Juninho
    Bergkamp
    Zola----

Shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

What I think is the best with a little bias (leaving out Shearer who I just never liked)

Schmiechel

Neville----Terry
    Adams
    Cole (Cole and Terry at their vey best, not now)

Ronaldo
    Essien----Gerrard----Robben

van nistelrooy
    Henry

Torres
    Keane (Roy obviously :) )
    Cantona
    Vierra
    Alonso
    Giggs
    Le Tissier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Im a United fan, would be too easy to stick in a load of United players but I'll include a few..

Seaman

Neville
    Vidic
    King
    Irwin

Alonso
    Keane
    Scholes

Ronaldo
    Torres
    Arshavin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Schmiechel

G.Neville
    Stam
    Campbell
    Irwin

Ronaldo
    Keane
    Viera
    Giggs

Cantona
    Henry

Subs:

Seaman
    Adams
    Desailly
    Pires
    Scholes
    Bergkamp
    Nistelrooy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Seaman

Dixon----Keown
    Campbell
    Winterburn

Beckham
    Viera----Lampard----Pires

Bergkamp
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

right, my favourite/impact on me, etc...

Schmeichel
    Babbel
    Desailly
    Hyypia
    Irwin
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Beckham
    Pires
    Fowler
    Henry

i got bored...sorry...

Schmeichel: The greatest goalkeeper of his generation, and also a joy to watch him play. Fearless and an awesome shot stopper. the image of him pissed off when he even had one shot to save in a game is almost iconic for me.

Babbel: A slightly biased choice, but i remember looking forward so much to him joining us. I can't specifically remember why either. i know he came with an awesome reputation from what i remember. I loved his honesty, discipline and talent for the time he was around.

Desailly: This guy was one of the first of the foreign legion that beseiged the Premier League, and he was a beast. For me, he makes even John Terry look like a novice. Strong, assured, street-wise, and a pretty good reader of the game. I still remember all the times he used to win MOTM in FF leagues :pac:

Hyypia: I don't even call this a biased choice. Most people said 'Sami who?'. I remember Eurogoals when the showed the Dutch League (they probably still do) and seeing him for Willem II, and they raved about him every week. honestly. one of the absolute best defenders of his generation, a gentleman, and a model professional. What's not to love about Sami?

Irwin: Mr Reliable. Nuff said really. One of those you truly only appreciated fully when he had gone.

Beckham: Supremely talented, and played the game in a way that, to me anyway, was so different to the way everyone else did. Dedicated to his art, he turned himself into a world class footballer, and global superstar. I've never enjoyed watching someone take a free-kick more than him. And the umpteen crosses he used to put on Yorke's head 5 yards out were beyond beautiful. God, I wanted to hate him.

Keane: Just about the perfect midfielder. If you don't like the way he played football in the middle (minus the odd acts of violence), then i'm not sure you love the game. Just awesome. Damn him. On a side note, i'll never forget that performance against Holland at Lansdowne Road as long as I live.

Gerrard: The epitome of the modern footballer. I remember seeing him when he first broke through, and I know it's said a lot about people, but you just knew you saw someone who might be a bit special. Blessed with a canon of a right foot, with ridiculous precision, as well as power and pace, he is awesome to watch in full flow. That goal against utd at Anfield from 30yards, and his FA Cup Final goal against West Ham are the two moments that live longest in my memory. Although I've placed him in his original position of central midfield, where he won numerous award, the full measure of his talents have since been moved further up the field. Which brings me to another endearing quality...put him anywhere on the pitch, and he'll probably be the best player on it. (e.g. the latter end of the champions league final at RB).

Pires: I just adored watching him and Henry play together. And that finger wag celebration alone should have him in everyone's team. On his day, he was majestic. Such an elegance in the way he played the game. And as I say, his understanding with Henry was awesome. Their embraces when they scored were also kind of sweet.

Fowler: As a Liverpool fan, growing up on football in the 90s, he was my idol. The youth player who made it big, he was, as the cliché goes, the most natural finisher Liverpool had in a long long time, certainly the most in my lifetime (and I include dear Nando). He could score from anywhere. And when we put one over utd, he was invariably the catalyst for it too. Awesome striker.

Henry: My favourite player bar none. He played the game with such a swagger; he made the game even more of a joy to watch than before. Supremely skilful, embarrassingly fast and incredibly intelligent, he was an absolute joy to watch, and I'm sure a nightmare to mark. Even that day he embarrassed Carragher by dumping him on his ass, I still thought it was brilliant. Truly wonderful player.

Subs:
    Cudicini
    Adams
    Carragher
    Scholes
    Vieira
    Shearer
    Bergkamp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Best:

Schmeichel

---Essien
    Terry
    Adams
    Irwin

---Ronaldo
    Keane
    Gerrard
    Giggs

Henry----Shearer

Subs:

-Given
    -Neville
    -Vidic
    -Lampard
    -Vieira
    -Cantona
    -Bergkamp

EDIT: This is very hard to do, so difficult to sift through so many top players. I just realised I didn't even put Fowler in the subs, even though in his heyday he was as good a finisher as the English League has probably ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

No Prizes for guessing who I support! This is my favourite Premiership line-up....although Jonny hasn't played for Everton yet, and Yossi never played for the Ajax first team that I recall.

van der Sar

Vermaelen---Stam----Heitinga

Davids----De Jong

----Laudrup
    Litmanen
    Overmars---

Bergkamp----Kanu

Subs:

Steven Pienaar
    Jan Molby
    Yossi Benayoun
    Patrick Kluivert
    Ryan Babel
    Finidi George
    Benni McCarthy

Reserve Team:

Winson Bogarde

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Schmeical
    Jones--Hyypia
    Adams--Irwin
    Pires---Gerrard
    Scholes--Giggs
    Bergkamp----Henry

it seems from all this, that we've come to two conclusions as far as i can see...

1) pretty much everyone's favourite player seems to Keane.

very few don't have him.

2) non-utd fans have more respect for utd players than they sometimes like to let on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No McGrath? Thats mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

8-10 wrote: »
    No Prizes for guessing who I support! This is my favourite Premiership line-up....although Jonny hasn't played for Everton yet, and Yossi never played for the Ajax first team that I recall.

van der Sar

Vermaelen---Stam----Heitinga

Davids----De Jong

----Laudrup
    Litmanen
    Overmars---

Bergkamp----Kanu

Subs:

Steven Pienaar
    Jan Molby
    Yossi Benayoun
    Patrick Kluivert
    Ryan Babel
    Finidi George
    Benni McCarthy

Reserve Team:

Winson Bogarde

How could Babel get a look in in the all time premiership best, he's not even good enough to get into Liverpool's first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

colly10 wrote: »
    How could Babel get a look in in the all time premiership best, he's not even good enough to get into Liverpool's first team.

It says best/fav, not just best. He might just really like Babel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Favourite:

Schmeichel

Irwin--Stam--Vidic--Heinze

Ronaldo-Keane-Gerrard-Giggs

----Forlan--Van Nistelrooy---

Cudicini,
    Beckham,
    Le Tissier,
    Solskjaer,
    Cantona,
    Andy Cole,
    Rooney,
    Scholes,

Heavily biased, yes. Forlan is included on the basis he is one of my fav players. I've listed quite a lot of subs, but as we all know the only sub you need is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer!!! :D:D:D

Best:
    Schmeichel

Dixon--Stam--Vidic--A.Cole

Ronaldo-Keane-Gerrard-Giggs

----Henry--Van Nistelrooy---

Subs:
    Cech,
    Terry,
    Adams,
    Vieria,
    Fabregas,
    Bergkamp,
    Cantona,
    Torres.

Could you imagine a partnership of Vidic and Stam at the back? Holy Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

Schmeical
    Dixon Terry Adams Irwin
    Keane Viera
    Ronaldo Gerrard Henry
    Fowler

Subs:
    Seaman
    Hyypia
    A. Cole
    Giggs
    Zola
    Shearer
    Bergkamp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Given

O'Shea
    Dunne
    McGrath
    Irwin--

Beckham----Ireland
    Keane
    Giggs---

Bergkamp
    Hughes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

schmeichel

cafu----terry
    vidic/stam----irwin/evra
    essien
    gerrard/viera
    fabregas/scholes
    giggs
    cantona
    eto
    12.shearer
    13.fabregas/scholes
    14.vidic/stam
    15.irwin/evra
    16.gerrard/viera
    17.rooney/torres
    18.lampard
    19.ferdinand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Whoever doesn't have Bergkamp as their 2nd striker is crazy!

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Whoever doesn't have Bergkamp as their 2nd striker is crazy!

he's not everyone's 'favourite' though.

so the issue is completely subjective. it's who you personally like, judged by any criteria you like.

SlickRic wrote: »
    he's not everyone's 'favourite' though.

so the issue is completely subjective. it's who you personally like, judged by any criteria you like.

Any other criteria where he's not in a team is farcial. He's by far the best number 10 the league has ever seen and anybody who has even half a clue how to balance premiership best 11 team would have him in the team every day my friend.

• Advertisement

Any other criteria where he's not in a team is farcial. He's by far the best number 10 the league has ever seen and anybody who has even half a clue how to balance premiership best 11 team would have him in the team every day my friend.

Not if someone preferred a different player in the same poistion. You're missing the quite obvious difference between "best" and "favourite."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Henry and Shearer would be undoubtedly the best possible front 2 ever in the PL.

'my friend' :rolleyes: no need for that tone.

and no, some people didnt simply put a 'best 11'. some included simply their favourites. which is a subjective exercise.

i could love the way, for example, kinkladze played football. it doesn't mean he's the best, but it also doesn't mean i'm wrong. because there's no wrong answer to this thread.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Not if someone preferred a different player in the same poistion. You're missing the quite obvious difference between "best" and "favourite."

How could he not be someone's favourite player? The man was a genius who scored amazing goals- what's not to love? People can't prefer Alan Shearer as a player. So we're in agreement that he is the best and our favorite number 10.

There should be a special if there was a twevth man aloud who would get it catagory. Matt le Tiss would get my vote every day. Lazy c*nt but god he was talented.

How could he not be someone's favourite player? The man was a genius who scored amazing goals- what's not to love? People can't prefer Alan Shearer as a player. So we're in agreement that he is the best and our favorite number 10.

There should be a special if there was a twevth man aloud who would get it catagory. Matt le Tiss would get my vote every day. Lazy c*nt but god he was talented.

Because they had a personal preference for someone else. Is it really that unfathomable a concept to you that someone may have preferred someone like Zola or indeed Le Tiss as a number 10 over the years?

Theres something a bit farcical about someone telling you what your opinion or personal preference should be tbh.:eek:

• Advertisement

i don't get how you can't separate 'best' and favourite'.

i preferred Henry and Fowler as my front two. Henry, because of the way he played the game, the swagger with which he played, and the fact he was incredible. Fowler, because I'm a Liverpool fan who grew up on football in the 90s, and he was therefore my idol.

Just because they're my favourites doesn't mean they have to be everyone else's, because others have reasons they like players they chose.

flahavaj wrote: »
    . Is it really that unfathomable a concept to you that someone may have preferred
      someone like Zola or indeed Le Tiss as a number 10 over the years?

No not at all, I expected as much tbh. I fully understand that the majority of football fans don't have a clue what their talking about.

No not at all, I expected as much tbh. I fully understand that the majority of football fans don't have a clue what their talking about.

because they have a preference for another player over another? sorry but that seriously makes no sense.

my favourite chocolate bar is moro. it's not everyone's. does that make me or everyone else wrong?

SlickRic wrote: »
      because they have a preference for another player over another? sorry but that seriously makes no sense.

my favourite chocolate bar is moro. it's not everyone's. does that make me or everyone else wrong?

Yes the answer is clearly Whispa

Yes the answer is clearly Whispa

it's Wispa :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

it may not have been for long but McGrath did play in the premiership so with that in mind heres mine.

.........................Bosnich

RB.............Laursen.......McGrath......Staunton

...................Essien.....R.Keane

J.Milner..............B.Carbone.............A.Young

..........................Carew

Subs: Schmeicheal, Ugo Ehiogu, D.Irwin, Ian Taylor, P.Merson, Gianfranco Zola, Dwight Yorke

Obv this is far more my favourite than the best but meh.

id like to include Houghton too but atm cant find space

always though Ehiogu was better than Southgate and should have been in the England squad when they were both at Villa.

imo RB has been a position where the quality hasnt been the best I mean most would prob argue that Gary Neville is the best premiership RB (over the full lenght of the prem not now) but ive never considerd him up to the standard of some of the better non-prem RBs like Cafu for example

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Schmeichel
      Neville---Stam---Terry----Irwin
      Keane
      Viera
      Ronaldo
      Gerrard
      Giggs
      Henry

Advertisement