Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pink shirts on men

• 02-09-2009 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

A question for female posters on this forum.

What do you think of pink shirts on men? I bought a few recently and every time I wear one in to the office the women there all tell me they hate them on guys. Is this common among the majority of women?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

For a starters real men, don't wear pink.

We where salmon!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

If you like it, wear it. I wear pink regularly because I like it and it makes me feel good because I know it looks good. If you don' like it, don't wear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I don't mind a light pink shirt on a man, I must confess.
    (Pink jumpers on men ==> NO!!)

But in order to pull it off, I think it would need a good strong-coloured tie and the shade of pink should suit your colouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

The shade of pink defintly has to suit you. And some men simply don't suit pink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

its sexy guys wearing pink tops ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

because I know it looks good.

computer_says_no.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

The shade of pink defintly has to suit you. And some men simply don't suit pink.

OFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

My Girlfriend often states she will break up with me should I ever wear a pink item of clothing. She hates pink on guys ALOT. I don't mind really, as I wouldn't be a huge fan of wearing pink myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

CSC wrote: »

What do you think of pink shirts on men? I bought a few recently and every time I wear one in to the office the women there all tell me they hate them on guys. Is this common among the majority of women?

They sound like bitches:p - (unless you asked obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

It depends on your skin tone.

If you have darker skin it works. If you're pale its going to make you look pasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yeh i agree with Hazys. Pink can look well on a guy but only a pale pastel(baby pink) shade...NO OTHER! With a dark tie to compliment it, i think it would look really well. But, if you're unsure...steer clear and play safe with another colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I reckon the only straight man who'll hear objections from a gaggle of women when he's wearing a pink shirt will be a man who's perhaps not masculine enough to get away with it.

The odd stray objection is normal enough, but if you were truly man enough to get away with wearing pink, not all the women in the office would complain.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

Whatever looks good. A shade of pink that suits your complexion will look good. A shade of pink that doesn't, won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭claireycork

Not ALL women beleive men shouldnt wear pink- its up to your own taste.. Some men can pull it off, others just can't especially if your prone to a red complexion:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I've one upstairs, when I do wear it its either

1) Under a black jumper
    2) With the grey suit

Works in both cases. I think it all comes down to context then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

yeah, i think private eye's way of wearing it is good. I have no pink cos it doesn't look good on me but some lads at work will wear it and i think it looks quite well. Don't think they get any objections from girls. Depending on the shade, a pink shirt with a grey suit is a good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Do real men eat quiche and wear pink shirts? What's the world coming to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

My brother once had a really nice, expensive white shirt. Something red ran with it in the wash. He then had a really nice, expensive, light pink shirt which he never wore again. The moral of the story is .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

They are not bitches but they don't hold back in telling you if they like something or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Hazys wrote: »
    It depends on your skin tone.

If you have darker skin it works. If you're pale its going to make you look pasty.

I have a pale complexion so it may make me look pasty. Will only wear them under black jumpers from now on I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think pink is fine on guys. It actually looks really well on some men. So no, not all women are like the one's in your office, thankfully! I would never tell someone I didn't like what they are wearing, I think that's really rude. If you are happy wearing pink, go for it OP and don't let others opinions dash your confidence.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

dungeon wrote: »
    My brother once had a really nice, expensive white shirt. Something red ran with it in the wash. He then had a really nice, expensive, light pink shirt which he never wore again. The moral of the story is .......

your brothers an eejit? :confused: :pac:

I think this is bollocks tbh, a colour doesnt make you any less of a man, but its a typically irish thing to call a guy who wants to stand out or care about how he looks "gay"! As Jimmy Carr said i though being gay was liking a...you can guess the rest! Wear pink if it looks good on ye, it looks good with a grey suit imo.

By the way by this logic is a girl who wears baby blue butch and manly? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

A grey suit with a pale pink shirt is a very good combination, especially during summer.

There are two problems which some guys encounter when wearing pink shirts;

a) as some have already pointed out, their complexion just won't take it. This is no different, however, to men who can't wear white, black or indeed any other particular colour next to the face. Most Irish complexions actually take pink very well.

b) more commonly the problem encountered is that the shade of pink chosen is simply too strong. With pink, even more so than blue, paler is better. When a guy with traditional celtic skin wears a strong pink, well, then we have a problem :)

Grey suit, pale pink shirt, navy polka dot tie. Classic, classic combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I wear pink t-shirts and polo shirts but I'm tanned and I don't think they would work as well on someone with pale skin. I only wear light, diluted pinks which are subtle and tasteful rather than hot pink which is just trying too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I'm all for wearing what you like but I really hate pink on men!!! I've yet to see a guy wearing pink and thought he looks nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I wonder how the women in the office would appreciate similar comments about their appearance. Happens to me where I work, the majority of employees are female and they always feel the need to pass a remark on every piece of clothing I wear. The comments dont bother me it's the double standards that I find annoying.

I stopped wearing pink shirts a few years ago. I was just saying in a previous post that every time I seen a pink shirt it was worn by a thirty something property developer, the buttons way open and with a pair of those long italian brown shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

"Man enough to get away with wearing pink??!!"

Shouldn't that be NOT man enuf?

Any guy coming into the office saying it's salmon, I just have to laugh at.
    I think it's obviously something as a result of their other half convincing them to wear it and not knowing any better to be honest.

I wouldn't go so far as using the teenage ghey slur but it does make guys a lot more effeminate at the same time.

smokingman wrote: »
    "Man enough to get away with wearing pink??!!"

Shouldn't that be NOT man enuf?

Any guy coming into the office saying it's salmon, I just have to laugh at.
    I think it's obviously something as a result of their other half convincing them to wear it and not knowing any better to be honest.

I wouldn't go so far as using the teenage ghey slur but it does make guys a lot more effeminate at the same time.
    The reference to "man enough to wear pink" is a reference to the confidence of the wearer; this is especially true in Ireland.

Salmon? Nope. Salmon is salmon, pink is pink. If somebody tries to tell you otherwise then they're probably not convinced that they should be wearing the colour anyway.

Honestly, by completely disregarding pale pink you're missing out on a colour that looks great on a lot of people and goes with a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

dingbat wrote: »
    Honestly, by completely disregarding pale pink you're missing out on a colour that looks great on a lot of people and goes with a lot of stuff.

Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned. I know what looks good on me in my own opinion but pink is something I wouldn't entertain even if it is the newest thing besides man moisturiser/man bags and the gradual effimination of man in general.

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned. I know what looks good on me in my own opinion but pink is something I wouldn't entertain even if it is the newest thing besides man moisturiser/man bags and the gradual effimination of man in general.
    Ah, but that's the thing. You're not being old fashioned at all, because a pale pink shirt is not "new" whatsoever. :)

A casual shirt/t-shirt/top in a vibrant hot pink, that's certainly "new" in terms of its appearance on the male of the species. Not so the the pale pink formal shirt; it's a simple classic, been around for years and years as part of a gentleman's shirt wardrobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

CSC wrote: »

Just out of interest, in what area do you and these women work?

Just out of interest, in what area do you and these women work?

Construction.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Even the gay guys i know hate pink now because all the scummers/spiceboys got onto pink lol

Even the gay guys i know hate pink now because all the scummers/spiceboys got onto pink lol

Yeah but theres a difference between this and this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

I hate hate hate pink on men!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Dont really see why people treat pink so differently to any colour to be honest. I would wear a lot more pink than I would most colours, whatever suits yourself really.

Advertisement