Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The difference is we're Irish...

• 02-09-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Thank you for buying Irish...

etc etc...

Is it just me or does anyone else find this very irritating as if it's a very effective clause that would make me want to buy this? Do they not realise I am sick of being ripped off by 'the Irish'?

So if something of equal or better value is German, French or whatever, why on God's earth do they think I will buy their overpriced under quality product?

I know I will have a wealth of people on here who will cry out for Irish jobs etc but I don't really care for that, if I can get better value elsewhere I will.

This isn't a rant but just highlighting a tacky strapline used by a lot of companies here. Anyone else got any others that are ridiculous?

:rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jay D wrote: »

etc etc...

Is it just me or does anyone else find this very irritating as if it's a very effective clause that would make me want to buy this? Do they not realise I am sick of being ripped off by 'the Irish'?

So if something of equal or better value is German, French or whatever, why on God's earth do they think I will buy their overpriced under quality product?

I know I will have a wealth of people on here who will cry out for Irish jobs etc but I don't really care for that, if I can get better value elsewhere I will.

This isn't a rant but just highlighting a tacky strapline used by a lot of companies here. Anyone else got any others that are ridiculous?

Yea, this thread.

Buy Irish for gods sake and help your own if ya can afford it.
    ...If ya can't, don't pay the rip-off folk. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

It's about helping your own country's economy.. what's so wrong about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Biggins wrote: »
    Yea, this thread.

Don't worry I had braced myself for the first smart ass going for a load of thanks' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

etc etc...

spoken like a guy that doesnt have to worry about his job.

good for you. thats all that matters i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Oh dear...not another "I'll buy the cheapest things I can thread" and feck the Irish economy and their products and workers.

Then 6 months later, "I've been made redundant" because nobody is buying/paying for the goods and services that my company supplies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Just because its Irish doesnt mean you should be gouged by your own either.

Take a look at Dunnes stores EUR/GBP conversion rate on its products.
    I've seen it as low as 0.50. There is no defence for that.

Or reflagging your ships to another country to get around Irish laws but still calling yourself "Irish" ferries.

Don't be blinded by patrioism and get taken advantage of your own either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

ur too maaaaaaaaiiinnneeee to buy irish foods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Funny thing is in my local "irish" supermarket you have nothing but sanjits and karolina's employed there wearing t-shirts boasting about supporting irish jobs

While the big evil english supermarket has only local irish staff who've worked there for years...buy irish me arse. Irish profiteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Bambi wrote: »
    Funny thing is in my local "irish" supermarket you have nothing but sanjits and karolina's employed there wearing t-shirts boasting about supporting irish jobs.

Yes that is a funny thing, but has absolutely nothing to do with "buying Irish". What has nationality to do with goods and services working in a place if the money is going back in to the economy from where that business is placed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Nothing like taking aim to make sure you shoot yourself in both feet.

The current governement hasn't done anything to help this situation with the income levies and the VAT fiasco last Christmas.

I really feel for the people who are going to be left paying for this mess, but I can say that I will not be one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

chin_grin wrote: »
    Yes that is a funny thing, but has absolutely nothing to do with "buying Irish". What has nationality to do with goods and services working in a place if the money is going back in to the economy from where that business is placed?

It has plenty to do with it my odd-sentence-constructing fellow boardsie, if you want to appeal to my sense of of patriotism to shop in your establishment then those wages i'm supposed to be supporting out of some sense of national solidarity had better be going to workers with irish passports. As opposed to going back into the economy of sri lanka.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

A dose of protectionism, nationalism and soon-to-be racism - quality thread.

But, yes, I do hate the 'Buy it because it's Irish' crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its just a merkating wheeze, taking pot shots at Tesco. Not lidl or Aldi though as Dunnes believe themselves to be above that sort of thing. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

We're Irish as well, so it's not much of a difference :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thing is, if the Irish dont want to buy their own products - who is buying them?

NOBODY.

****ing fix your product, take back control of your own Home Market. If you're so worried about keeping your jobs, as one poster put it.

Not the rosy response I could have posted - but I liked this one better. Cop on folks.

Glad there are people who can actually see this for what it is.

Like I have gotten purely to the stage now where I see clothes in town, will try them on etc, go online and can get them just over 50% cheaper. In some cases more and in some cases less. The fact is I'm not being screwed for 'buying Irish' or supporting 'Irish industry' as some have put it. I'm buying a typically foreign designer product at a fraction of what it costs here. It goes so much further. Is there anyone who feels they are getting value shopping in certain music shops or indeed book shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Overheal wrote: »
    Thing is, if the Irish dont want to buy their own products - who is buying them?

NOBODY.

****ing fix your product, take back control of your own Home Market. If you're so worried about keeping your jobs, as one poster put it.

Not the rosy response I could have posted - but I liked this one better. Cop on folks.

How about some solid price cuts to keep products even borderline competitive? Instead of putting the prices to a level like everyone is in 2006 and has a few hundred thousand Euro in the bank.

I'm happy with allowing the market to correct itself - unfortunately that will translate into jobs lost and businesses going under. But Ireland needs to learn to compete internationally as well, so hopefully the "next generation" of Irish business will be able to represent value for money.

Ireland needs to fix its internal markets, not just play the patriotic card,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Believe it or not but there's more Irish produce in Aldi and Lidl than in Dunnes (including local meat, eggs, milk and veg)...My dad and I had a competition to see and Aldi won (Yes- I know- but we had this debate one Friday evening and we were like- right, lets go see!). Also there was a 30 Euro price difference for same grocery list.:rolleyes:
    How on earth are we expected to keep paying that much of a price difference! Fair play to Tesco for bringing down their prices to compete with Aldi and Lidl and they do have quite alot of Irish products too.:P
    I have noticed that superquinn and dunnes have done very little to change their prices and encourage sales- so what do they expect??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

etc etc...

Completly agree 100%, all those 'Buy me I'm Irish' stickers they use in tesco pis me right off. I'll buy what i like and what i want not be goaded into buying Irish.

The reason Tesco use the Buy Me I'm Irish is of course to counter the propaganda put out by Irish suppliers. Nothing more than that. Tesco don't care what you buy only that you buy it in thier shop - ditto Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Free choice,
    Buy what you want, when you want, in whatever shop you want.

But there's no harm in being reminded to buy Irish either.
    Your money, your choice, just think a little more about it before you choose. Simpulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Love this thread have been working for the baxtards ages as a percentage i reckon 30% of the staff are irish!

Irish my asre! Desperate for you money I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is Ireland really a charity case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

etc etc...
    ........ just highlighting a tacky strapline used by a lot of companies here. Anyone else got any others that are ridiculous?

considering the last 2 summers we've had, I sure have, what about this ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I'd "buy Irish" everything if I could afford it and/or if we had a decent selection of Irish made products available to us bar the staples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

if you want to appeal to my sense of of patriotism to shop in your establishment then those wages i'm supposed to be supporting out of some sense of national solidarity had better be going to workers with irish passports.

Wow, just Wow.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It has plenty to do with it my odd-sentence-constructing fellow boardsie, if you want to appeal to my sense of of patriotism to shop in your establishment then those wages i'm supposed to be supporting out of some sense of national solidarity had better be going to workers with irish passports. As opposed to going back into the economy of sri lanka.:)
    Pure racism....

Yes and these for example Sri Lankan people take home their paycheques and send them immediately back home and live on air of course....
    They spend it in irish businesses, help support the rental market etc

Whos to say they do not have irish citizenship?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

This buy-Irish-stuff is just a scam. It translates as spend-your-money-so-that-irish-owners-can-profit.

Look at Dunnes ("because we're Irish"): They sell potatoes from Israel, tomatoes from Holland, wine from Australia, peaches from Spain, coffe from Colombia and any stuff from everywhere in the world. As do other shops. It's a globalized market. Look at the packages and see the origin.

So what's the difference? What does it really mean to buy Irish? It means the Irish big shots in retail who sell the very same as any other retailer are afraid to loose their easy profits after decades of rip-off.

Good for the consumers to have a choice.

The Irish producers sell their stuff anyway because even Tesco, Aldi, Lidl sell Irish goods as someone mentioned it here.

palaver wrote: »
    This buy-Irish-stuff is just a scam. It translates as spend-your-money-so-that-irish-owners-can-profit.

Look at Dunnes ("because we're Irish"): They sell potatoes from Israel, tomatoes from Holland, wine from Australia, peaches from Spain, coffe from Colombia and any stuff from everywhere in the world. As do other shops. It's a globalized market. Look at the packages and see the origin.

So what's the difference? What does it really mean to buy Irish? It means the Irish big shots in retail who sell the very same as any other retailer are afraid to loose their easy profits after decades of rip-off.

Good for the consumers to have a choice.

The Irish producers sell their stuff anyway because even Tesco, Aldi, Lidl sell Irish goods as someone mentioned it here.

I was actually going to make a point about them Israeli potatoes. I will not buy them, even though they are cheap ass, although I like the roosters... Israel are not on my favourite nation list either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

palaver wrote: »

It just sounds like there is no comprehension of economics. If the Irish company spends there profit in the country you get a multiplier effect but if another company makes a profit and spends that profit elsewhere you don't get the multiplier effect. Simply reducing the money in this country.

Foreign companies are ripping you off but the effects are bigger overall. It is short sighted to look at it in simple terms.

DVD sales are a really good example of how we are ripped off. UK companies can buy them at UK wholesale prices where Irish companies have to buy them at Irish wholesale prices which are higher. If both companies have the same profit margins and running costs the Irish company has a more expensive product to the consumer. The UK company sells more and then takes the profit out of the country. That isn't even going near the economics of scale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Biggins wrote: »
    Yea, this thread.

Buy Irish for gods sake and help your own if ya can afford it.
    ...If ya can't, don't pay the rip-off folk. End of story.

lmao

Says the guy moving to another country to escape the clutches of Irish tyranny =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It may be irritating, but I'd go for Dunnes any day before those cvnts at Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭hoochio

I'm all for buying Irish. I have a business and i buy all the Irish products I can. I did however go to the north to buy a new jeep simply because it was 16,000 euro up there and 31,000 euro down here! You have to draw the line somewhere...

• Advertisement

The Sunday Times reads boards:
    THE biggest problem for those playing the patriot game is that consumers with less spending power suspect that Irish brands are overpriced. “I am sick of being ripped off by ‘the Irish’,” complains Jay D from Ashtown, Dublin, in an online debate on boards.ie. “So if something of equal or better value is German, French or whatever, why on God’s earth do they think I will buy their overpriced under-quality product?”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6823218.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

brummytom wrote: »
    It's about helping your own country's economy.. what's so wrong about that?

But does it really? If we can import a Chinese product for €5, or manufacture it here for €10, the first option can be better for the Irish economy.

Don't like the way I was referred to as having less spending power :confused:

I am not strapped I literally just will not pay the over priced rates and it has been a long time since I bought into that bs. Fair enough maybe the 'all of a sudden' policy put out now is being realised by many more now and will drive prices to a reasonable level.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Considering how much we spend in pubs.
    What is the largest Irish owned drinks company ?

Considering how much we spend in pubs.
    What is the largest Irish owned drinks company ?
    Not Diageo anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

The point that has been missed in this thread is that we are 'supposed' to be in a free, open market. If someone wants to buy their goods outside of this jurisdiction or from shops that supply goods from the rest of the EU so be it. Indigenous businesses can either compete or go broke.

There are far too many cozy 'arrangements' in this country that have gone unchallenged for too many years. People are finally standing up and saying, 'no, we're not paying those prices.'

Riv

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Kipperhell wrote: »
    It just sounds like there is no comprehension of economics. If the Irish company spends there profit in the country you get a multiplier effect but if another company makes a profit and spends that profit elsewhere you don't get the multiplier effect. Simply reducing the money in this country.

Who's to say what company is spending their money where...we don't know what they do with their profits. Don't companies like Tesco or Mc Donalds reinvest some of their profits into opening new stores, thus providing more jobs and a boost to the local economy. I doubt what Dunnes and Tesco do with their profits are hugely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Looking at where the product is from is the last thing I do, I won't buy something because it is or is not irish. I will buy it based on price and quality. When times are hard I will buy the cheapest good I can, normally lidl. Not because it's german, but because they have cheaper goods. I won't go out of my way to buy irish products, regardless of the effect on the economy. At the end of the day, it is about what I can afford and what I like.

Bring down the prices of over priced irish products and I will buy them, because they will come down to my price bracket. I probably won't know I am buying irish either, if you know what I mean.

Being told you are unpatriotic for buying up north is a load of balls. The people should not be scorned for our "leaders" mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

I think part of the problem that has grown up in the past number of years is that there is a section of Irish society that thinks it's 'worth it.'

This can be seen in the attitude that I've come across that unless you can 'afford' to pay hiked up prices or you're unwilling to pay, you're not worthy of being 'Oirish.'

Feck that!

Riv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

schween wrote: »
    Who's to say what company is spending their money where...we don't know what they do with their profits. Don't companies like Tesco or Mc Donalds reinvest some of their profits into opening new stores, thus providing more jobs and a boost to the local economy. I doubt what Dunnes and Tesco do with their profits are hugely different.

Yes all possible but not probable. More of the money stays in a country if the company that makes the profit is native in general. Providing more jobs for more profit which leaves the country is not a long term good idea. This isn't a point of debate but economic reality.

Big companies like Tesco's have and will decimate local suppliers with their ability to bring in cheap imports. It is short sighted to always buy the cheapest and think the cost doesn't get passed down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If you want me to buy Irish, it had better be the best product on the shelf.

Free market ftw. Suppose I buy chocolate in a shop. Some profit to the shop and some sales tax into the pile with the rest. Good stuff. The only person to lose is the possibly-Irish company whose chocolate I didn't buy. You want me to buy Irish? Make better stuff.

Fortunately, Cadbury's is my favorite chocolate. But I'd never buy Irish just to support a crappy company. Where's the incentive for that company to innovate? You're basically subsidising a bad company. ''Oooh, this MP3 player is twice as expensive, but it's ok because I'm spending more for less to make it ok for a company too stupid to make a cheaper MP3 player''.

I'm good, thanks.

I really never understood this "buy Irish" thing. The markets are global or if not global at least European and regulated by the EU.

Every company has to pay taxes in Ireland when operating in Ireland. It doesn't really matter if the company is from Ballygoafghanistan or Ballygoberlin or Ballygooirish.
    And if they are from Ballygooirish, like Dunnes, who knows where they spend their profits? You think they don't know how to dogde taxes and go with their profits elsewhere?

As for employment: Irish and foreign retailers employ local people, may they hail from wherever in the world or from Ireland. They have to live in Ireland to stack shelves at Dunnes or Tesco or Aldi and hence have to pay taxes in Ireland.
    Nobody ever complained about Dell, as long as they had a plant in Ireland. And they are not Irish and moved anyway.

As for buying local: It doesn't mean the local shop it means local produce. I always prefer locally grown produce, wherever I am. Why buying South African apples when Irish apples are perfectly okay and usually even cheaper?
    Or meat. Why buy Argentinian beef when Irish beef is not only much better (seriously) and fresher but doesn't leave a significant carbon footprint?

If only consumers would make an effort to look at the labels and then compare prices and quality.
    But most consumers are too lazy to do so.

The most supermarkets or chains don't care about the origins of their goods or even their employees. They care about their own profits, the Irish even more, methinks. They creamed the consumers no end, and it's about time that the consumers show them the finger.

My twocents tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

I'm sure if Irish people could buy Irish they would. But at the moment there are many familes out there, where their main concern is not the economy but how can they get through the week and feed their family.

Me personally, can't afford some of the prices. I live 15 minutes away from the north, and do most of my shopping there. If I can get stuff the same price or cheaper at home I will buy Irish, but if its dearer to buy Irish and shop locally...I wont!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

banquo wrote: »
    Free market ftw. Suppose I buy chocolate in a shop.
    Fortunately, Cadbury's is my favorite chocolate
    The Cadburys made in the UK tastes different ( the milk perhaps? )

Also Rowantree stuff like kit kats used to taste nicer before Nestle took over.
    Saw some quality street boxes in superquinn a while back, I cringed whe I remembered how sickly sweet they have become compared to the past

Globalisation is not good :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd have more disposable income to buy Irish if the government lowered taxes on alcohol and tobacco.

• Advertisement
Advertisement