Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School Teaching

• 02-09-2009 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All,
    just wondering if someone might be able to help...

basically i've been working in the banking sector for the past few years, but have had aspirations to become a primary school teacher for some time. I guess i should have really done this a couple of years ago, and not now in the midst of a recession, hope it's not too late?!

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best route to get into this?

I'm genuinely very interested in going ahead with this, but worried about quitting my job incase there are no job prospects etc at the end of it.

Would really appreciate your kind advice!

Many Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hows things.

To be honest with you, I wouldnt leave a job if you have one.

I just qualified as a teacher aqfter 2 years hard slog doing the HDip and I cannot get a job for love nor money. Its not just me, there is an estimated 2000 students still unemployed. MOst jobs going are only temporaries( if you can get them) and there are still more cuts forecast.

I hate to rain on your parade here, i never want to dampen anyones aspirations, but to be honest, the only realistic option for me and many others is to gain employment abroad. I cant afford not to be working, or rely on the odd day subbing here or there. Perhaps it will all change by the time you get out of college if you go ahead and do it, but with about 1000 graduates coming out of the combined colleges every year, i doubt it will.

Anyway, i've always been a glass half empty when it comes to things like this. Ask for more advice, they could give you a more positive outlook!

Mark

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Similar thread running on the primary/preschool board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Do you have a degree? If you do, you can do a postgrad in primary teaching which lasts 18 months in the teacher training colleges (e.g. Mary Immaculate, Limerick, or St. Pats, Drumcondra). You need a higher C3 in Irish (leaving cert), or a pass in Irish in First Arts. You can also do an online 18 month course with Hibernia college. You'll have to an interview in both Irish and English for entry.

If you don't have a degree you can apply as a mature student (if you're over 23) , I'm pretty sure the requirement for Gaeilge still stands, and you'd have to do an interview as well. This can be done in Mary Immaculate, and st. pats, and the other colleges too probably.

Employment opportunities are dire, and will be for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 robburke1980

Many thanks for your reply, thats great help :)
    Yep, i have a degree in Computer Science, graduated in 03. Would you recommend attending one of the colleges like Pats or Mary I over Hinernia?
    Have you ever come across the option of going over to England also?
    Would really love to pursue this!
    Many thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Many thanks for your reply, thats great help :)

Loads of irish students go to england. Competition is fierce to get into the primary pgce over there unlike many of the secondary pgce's. The GTTR organise applications for the England.

With a degree in computers you'd find it easy to get into the secondary maths pgce and get a secondary job as a maths teacher in the UK. At least it's experience. There's a 9,000 sterling training grant as well to keep you going during the secondary maths pgce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

Would you recommend attending one of the colleges like Pats or Mary I over Hinernia?
    Would really love to pursue this!
    Many thanks again!

I personally would learn better being in a physical college, with people around me, than from staring at a computer screen. It depends on yourself. Hibernia also has days where you have to go and be present at lectures/classes, as far as I know. So I'd say go to a college. Another thing (and what I'm about to say isn't my personal opinion) is that some principals/ people in general, do not hold the Hibernia qualification in as high esteem as they do the qualification from the colleges that have been around for donkey's years. This is some, not all.

With the option in England I'm nearly sure you'd have to sit an exam to prove your proficiency in Irish when you return, and you may also have to get a Certificate in Religious Education, if you want to teach in a Catholic primary school. c. 92% of primary schools are Catholic. I'm not 100% sure on these points.

And I reiterate that the job situation is desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I have a degree in IT, worked in that sector for about 8 years & wanted out for years. Wanted to do teaching, but you need Honours Irish, which I didn't have, so I put it off.
    Finally got my act together, resat the LC exam, got my honour, & now I'm doing the HDip with Hibernia.
    Had to give up my job just before my teaching practice, so I'm now unemployed.
    I'm quite lucky in that right now I can afford not to be working. Others aren't so lucky.
    The job situation is & will be terrible for some time. Really wish I'd done this earlier, but c'est la vie, as they say.
    I posted 42 CV's today to schools in the hope of getting some casual subbing throughout the year. Won't hold my breath though.

At the same time though, as bad as things are, I wake up every morning with a smile on my face knowing I don't have to go back into my office doing the mundane IT tasks ever again, & that for me makes it worthwhile!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 robburke1980

Thanks all, thats great.
    I'll keep looking into it and sure hopefully it'll work out!

Advertisement